Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Energi Titanium

Eric4539

Hi everyone,

I am a new member to the forum.

I currently own a loaded 2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid. I recently test drove a loaded Energi Titanium but did not walk away feeling that I really wanted to spend $45k for the car. Off the line the Energi felt slower and heavier than the Altima so it felt less fun to drive. I realize I have to convince myself that the increase in gas saved and high MPGe are the trade offs/benefits, not to mention the safety features of the Energi, that make it worth the price. I have been reading e wry thing I can about this vehicle.

This forum has been extremely helpful to read the positive comments about the Energi. Has anyone regretted buying their Energi or felt that it isn't what you had expected?

Thanks!

Well now, that's a different, but good, question.

I have only seen one negative buyer of the Energi since I joined the forum last October/November and that person resolved his issues once they rebooted his car and everything started working properly for him.

I have never owned a hybrid or driven one until I purchased my Energi. So for me, it's similar to not having sex until after you get married; because what I have is great, since I don't have anything to compare it to.

Edited by pluggedin

I've never owned a hybrid before this car either.  I have both extremes: an Expedition and an Energi.  I sold off a Ford Focus to get the Energi and I don't regret it one teeny tiny bit.  Going from 24MPG city for my back and forth trip to work is now 150+MPGe.  The trunk is dinky, but that's why I kept my Expo around.

I totally love the silence of the ride, love the fact that I'm only putting out the emissions from my local power plant (which is far more efficient and far less polluting than an engine on its own), and love the fact that I won't be making trips to the gas station anywhere near as often.

I thought I MIGHT have buyers regret after sinking 40 grand in to something that depreciates (and going back to a car payment), but after rolling off the lot, it's been smiles the whole time.

I am very pleased so far with the Energi.   My main reason, initially, in selecting the Energi was for significantly improved gas mileage.   It has exceeded my expectations in that respect.  I regularly get more than the advertised 21 miles range for a fully charged battery and exceed the EPA fuel estimates of 43 combined MPG.   Yes, it is a difficult argument to make that fuel savings alone will make up for the higher initial cost of the Energi.  And yes, it does feel like a larger, heavier car than others in its class.  But it does provides better isolation from the road and a very quiet ride.   EV mode provides a very unique driving experience.  I would not want to go back to a gas-only powered car.   Hopefully, by the time I am ready for the next car, all electric vehicles will become much more affordable.

Edited by larryh

I previously drove an Acura TL, and before that a BMW 5 series. In the past I have placed much enjoyment in the precision of the turn & g force from acceleration, this car has a different purpose that can give you great joy as well.

If you are looking for a car that you can assault a freeway onramp or scream down a back road then this vehicle is not for you. If you take pleasure in the technical aspects of driving, then this car can present a whole other level of challenge that can keep entertained and happy. Growing leaves on the display does little for me, but maximizing the brake coach, keeping the acceleration bar and cruising bar extended to the right can be very rewarding.

As you hear others complain about the fluctuations in gas prices you have to reach back into your memory on when exactly was the last time you went to the gas station? (I have almost 1,700 miles on the ODO and still have 1/2 tank from when the dealer filled the tank before driving it off the lot). This is all before recognizing how refined this car really is. From the outside, this is one sharp looking car. The inside is quite nicely packaged and if you do drop $45K, then the car will be loaded with technology that you can not get on other cars in the same price range or class.

The car is not without faults, but few cars are. So far I am very pleased with my purchase. Or to steal a phrase from defeltersnatch, I love the hell out of it.

Thank you for all the positive comments. I also owned a 2005 Prius which got excellent fuel economy but the car was extremely boring to drive. The Altima Hybrid is much more fun to drive; acceleration and handling are great. Fuel economy is 30- 33 which is what I expected. I learned to drive with a light foot in town and coast whenever possible. On the highway I use cruise control as much as possible. The Energi was very comfortable for me to drive, and someone told me it's how the car feels when you're behind the wheel that matters most. I think everyone agrees that from the outside the new Fusion is one of the best looking vehicles on the market.

I like the idea with the Energi of using EV only in town and have the flexibility of saving EV for later. Twice a month I have a 4 hour round trip drive so the Adaptive Cruise Control, BLIS, and Active Lane Keeping would be great features for me. With the fantastic fuel economy that everyone is realizing I am closer now to purchasing one of my own.

I love my Energi. My previous car was a 1998 Audi A4, and my wife has a 2005 Prius, which I drive whenever we both go somewhere. My shopping criteria were simple: better mileage than the Prius, as much fun to drive as the A4, and around $50k rather than $100k.

The Energi meets and exceeds my expectations. Mileage (computed as miles driven vs. gas purchased; I don't use MPGe) is 25%+ better than the Prius, and about 3x the Audi. Driving the Energi is a blast. I really enjoy the feeling of cruising electric. I brake carefully, but my foot is heavier on electric than I used to drive in the A4, just because it's guilt-free acceleration. Maybe it won't blow off a BMW, but that's not what I want to do.

And the Fusion is very attractive, very comfortable, and loaded with satisfying gadgets.

All told, I'm super satisfied.

I love my Energi Titanium. Absolutely no regrets on the purchase. It works as advertised!

I do agree that the car does feel a bit heavy - but the ride and handling are otherwise top notch.

I owned owned a previous Fusion Hybrid for almost 4 years and this car is a major upgrade in all accounts.

So far I have 1050 miles (purchased end of March) and have only used a little over 1/8th a tank of gas! (My commute to work is a sweet 17 miles rountrip and is almost always an all electric day!)

Once my friends got over the shock of me buying an  American car, I had a lot people also asking me what pushed me to the Energi over other Hybrids. Once you deduct the federal and state rebates from your "on the road price" you are only paying about 2+K out of pocket for the Energi feature. This assumes you got the current 1,500.00 Ford rebate for the Fusion and you can negotiate off of invoice and not list price (nothing new there)

The list was 42,615.00 for the SE with Tri-Coat paint, Nav, rear camera, lane keep, and reverse sensing, taxes, titling, and registration fees 2,672.00 which makes the car price 45,287.00 before negotiations. I have no problem telling people that I paid 40,900.00 on the road price . Basically 4,387.00 discount off of list which is so/so (really only about 12% discount)  - not bad for a new in demand model like the Energi.

Taking the 40,916.00 on the road price and applying the tax rebates (3495.00 Federal, 2,000 State (this varies) , and 400.00 power company monitoring (this varies), my actual price will end being about $35,021.00 . This is the price you need to use to compare how much more you pay for the Energi feature. In the end you paying a few thousand dollars for this new feature . I have not calculated gas saving into this  as I wanted actual "now" numbers.

Use  the $35,021  number a general idea  and compare that number to the Fusion SE Hybrid (I did not get the Titanium due to the Black only option for the interior - too bad as I wanted the extra features) When I did this I found that 32,600 was about the best price on the Fusion SE.  The Energi was a no brainer for me.. Easy math...

Other things I've discovered.

Tax form 8911 will help pay for your home Level 2 charger up to 1500.00  - this more than covers 100% as I paid 999.99 (Amazon) and 100.00 for install.

HOV Sticker - very handy where I live (Maryland/DC area)

The state rebates can also run out, so check the website often. Maryland ran out for some of my friends but will be re-instated July 1 as it got funded again. If it runs out, there needs to be a vote to re-instate it each each year. Maryland chose to bring it back sooner. This is a clear indication that Plug-ins are picking up and the Federal Credit my be less in 2014 . Just something to think about.

my 2 cents,

DAVE

Edited by DAVE

Thank you for all the information!  Everyone has been very helpful and informative.

I think with the Ford rebate and the Federal tax credit available, the net price for the Fusion Energi that I am interested in would be $40,225 before handling and taxes.  If I trade in my car I think I would reduce the overall price by another $12,000.  So $28,225 may be my lowest price.

I have read so many posts that I do not remember where I read comments about the vehicle manufacturer dates.  The car I am looking at says 2 21 13 on the window sticker.  Thoughts on a vehicle with this early manufacture date versus a vehicle manufactured in May or June?

• 2 weeks later...

Here I go!  I am picking up my Energi Titanium on Saturday, and I have to drive 6 1/2 hours to get it.  The inconvenience of living in a small town.  The dealer has been great and said a SOLD sign has been placed on the car until I get there.  I even have the $750 coupon that this Forum has mentioned.  Thank you to everyone for the information you provided!

Here I go!  I am picking up my Energi Titanium on Saturday, and I have to drive 6 1/2 hours to get it.  The inconvenience of living in a small town.  The dealer has been great and said a SOLD sign has been placed on the car until I get there.  I even have the $750 coupon that this Forum has mentioned.  Thank you to everyone for the information you provided!

Make sure the dealer has the car fully charged before your 6 1/2 hour trip home.  If you're not used to an EV, the silence is amazing. You're obviously going to exceed the battery range, but you deserve some time to enjoy the EV.

I drove my Energi Titanium home today.  Awesome car!  What kind of car did I drive before this - I don't remember!!??  I depleted the battery down to 4 miles remaining while driving to the hotel.  I did not have the opportunity to charge it overnight because the hotel was packed and there were no charging stations even available.  While in EV mode the car said 100.5 MPGe.  The 5 1/2 hour drive home was in Hybrid mode and I calculated 39.5 mpg with a lot of spirited driving along the way.  The remaining 2 miles to my house was in EV which was great.  I am now charging the car and from now I will see how much EV only I can do with my in town driving.  I should not be visiting a gas station anytime soon!

I should not be visiting a gas station anytime soon!

You got that right.  I am 0 for June.  With over 900 miles on the odometer I still have just under half a tank of the original full tank when the car was delivered.  And I am not the mileage leader.  Others have done much better.

I may need the owner's manual to remind me where the gas door button is located.

Edited by http

Yes, I joined the Mustang Club of America to get the X-plan pricing, which I didn't have any problems using with my dealer. Especially now...I think you could probably negotiate a better deal, especially because of discounts on the Volt.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Energi Titanium. Hoping to see more of them at our meetups which are usually in Maryland, near Washington, DC, but we have some upcoming ones closer to Baltimore. www.mdvolt.org

Edited by mczajka

• 3 weeks later...