Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Steve Kammerer

Stevepkam

I want to be able to charge my 2019 Fusion Energi from 240.  I am having a 240 line installed at my new residence.  Specifically, what do I need to be able to charge my Energi?  Is it a portable cord with controls in it like the 110 v cord I have?  Is it some control pannel that gets put up on the outside wall?  Please help.  What does EVSE stand for? 

Thanks for the help for a confused 80 year old.

EVSE stands for Electric Vehicle Service Equipment.  It is the device (some portable, some not) that connects the charger built into your car to an electricity source.  You would only need a 16 Amp capable EVSE to charge your Energi, but one that has higher output may benefit you in the future if you get a different EV with higher capability.  Whatever you choose, the 240V line has to have a breaker at least 25% larger than the EVSE to ensure it doesn't cause a fire. 

As for which EVSE it is entirely up to you.  Some plug in to a 240V outlet like a dryer outlet.  Others are wired directly into your home in a more permanent fashion.  It really depends on what you want and what plugs are already available in your garage.  If you want to take it with you when you travel in case you can find an available 240V plug, then you would want a portable unit.  If you're only ever going to use it at home either a portable or a permanent one will work.  Some portable units do both 120V and 240V which is great if you want to take it with you - it is easier to find a 120V outlet available.

If you want a recommendation on a brand I would say Clipper Creek.  They are well known and VERY reliable.  They have just about all the options you would want.  As for which model, it really depends on how you answer the above questions.

Best of luck.