Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Car Delivered with little electric charge...

mets67

If you purchased the car ahead of time so they could charge the car, I would expect the car to be fully charged when I come to pick it up.  It only costs about $0.70 to charge it.

In my case, I just showed up at the dealer and purchased the car.  It had not been charged.  So I ended up driving it home in hybrid mode.  They would have charged it if I given them notice ahead of time.

You can use the supplied 110 volt charger to charge the car while waiting for the charging station if you have an appropriate outlet.

Every Energi dealer needs to a "Certified" EV dealer which means, among other things, they're required to have at least two L2 chargers, one in the front of the dealership and one in the back service area.

My salesman charged my Energi while I was completing the sales process, finance, etc.   so I left with a full charge.

My dealer filled the gas tank and fully charged the battery before I took possession without me saying a word.  It was the first Energi they sold and they were eager to try out the charger that had been installed 3 months earlier and never used.

I doubt I will ever use the dealer's charger because I always wait for service appointments and can't see adding 2 hours onto the end of the process to charge the battery.

Shouldn't the car be delivered fully charged?

Yes it should, and if you took delivery with a pre-arranged appointment then there's reason it shouldn't have been.  If you drove in the lot and took one on the spot, then I can understand that it might not be fully charged but like an OP noted above, it could at least be charging while you were completing paperwork and have a lot more than 3 miles worth when you drove off.

This was something I was adamant about when arranging for delivery, I kept asking my salesman to confirm that the day/time was good and that the car would be fueled, cleaned, and EV-charged... salesman would not return emails/calls with simple one-line email that "day/time is OK, see you then" or the like, but I did finally get through and at least the car was fully charged when we drove away.

Yes it should, and if you took delivery with a pre-arranged appointment then there's reason it shouldn't have been.  If you drove in the lot and took one on the spot, then I can understand that it might not be fully charged but like an OP noted above, it could at least be charging while you were completing paperwork and have a lot more than 3 miles worth when you drove off.

This was something I was adamant about when arranging for delivery, I kept asking my salesman to confirm that the day/time was good and that the car would be fueled, cleaned, and EV-charged... salesman would not return emails/calls with simple one-line email that "day/time is OK, see you then" or the like, but I did finally get through and at least the car was fully charged when we drove away.

Made my appointment 5 days out so they had plenty of time to charge it. Called dealership today and they said the L2 charger was in a place where the parking lot was under construction - funny because it wasn't yesterday when I picked up the car. In any case, pulled the car up to the front of the house and its charging on the 120v - 1/4 way done; 5 more hours to go!

Made my appointment 5 days out so they had plenty of time to charge it. Called dealership today and they said the L2 charger was in a place where the parking lot was under construction - funny because it wasn't yesterday when I picked up the car. In any case, pulled the car up to the front of the house and its charging on the 120v - 1/4 way done; 5 more hours to go!

That's not a valid excuse.  They are required by Ford to have two L2 chargers.  One outside and one in the service area.

That's not a valid excuse.  They are required by Ford to have two L2 chargers.  One outside and one in the service area.

And even IF both were in the construction zone, with 5 days notice they couldn't have someone take a 120V charger (even the one in that car's trunk if nothing else) and plug it in elsewhere to get it charged up?  With 5 days notice, nobody at the dealership could think ahead enough to do this?  Sad.

Most dealers don't fill the gaa tank when a car is in for service. I would not expect them to charge the battery on a service visit either.

Ford didn't designate "petrol-certified" dealers that had gas pumps on the premises, however they did designate "EV-certified" dealers that have at least two charging stations on the premises, so I believe they should factor in a top-off of the HVB as part of any dealer visit, delivery or service.  My 2¢

My dealer filled the gas tank and fully charged the battery before I took possession without me saying a word. It was the first Energi they sold and they were eager to try out the charger that had been installed 3 months earlier and never used.

I doubt I will ever use the dealer's charger because I always wait for service appointments and can't see adding 2 hours onto the end of the process to charge the battery.

Well you did PAY for the first tank of gas... check your paperwork. Ford charges the dealer for about $47 for that first tank of subsidized Mexican gas from the factory.

I imagine start to finish a full charge should be done, I can see the process taking that long with all the paperwork.

Edited by shaggy314

The car arrives from the factory with a minimal amount of gas in it.

There were no charges on my invoice for gas.

The only charges on my invoice were for sales tax, document fees, registration fee, transfer fee, title fee, and tire tax.

Most of that went to the state.

The dealer took it to the nearest gas station and filled the tank.

The battery charging finished while the salesman was showing me the features of the car.

If you look at the dealer invoice for an Energi, you will see the following charges:

Fuel Charge:              $47.88

Priced DORA:              N/C

Advertising Assessment:   $601.00

Destination and Delivery: $795.00

So the dealer paid for a full tank of gas when they bought the car.

Edited by larryh

When I went to Bowditch ford in Newport News VA, they had 3 energis on their lot, and the last time I rolled by I saw 4. They did not have a charger anywhere on the outside of the building. When I took a test drive, which was reserved 1 day prior, the big battery was empty and it operated in hybrid mode only. The sales rep said they had a charger inside and she did not know why the vehicle had not been charged. I know it was in a slightly rougher part of town, but come on! Its been a few weeks so maybe now they have one installed outside?

IIRC sometimes with x-plan pricing or excellent negotiations, you can get the gas fee waived, but since Ford Regional charges the ad fee, I'm very surprised you got it waived.

I am paying invoice plus $350 so they were sure to spell out all the fees and what they wouldn't wave, I didn't have a tire fee. They may have chosen to put those fees inside the price you paid if it was closer to MSRP.

With the Ford hold back of 3%, their profit is 3% + $350, about the best I figured I could do. When I go to pay for the car soon, I'm going to see if they match Flood Ford for the extended warranty, if so they get a tiny bit more.

I know it was in a slightly rougher part of town, but come on! Its been a few weeks so maybe now they have one installed outside?

Leif Johnson Ford in Austin has their public facing charger in a lock box they lock up when the dealership is closed... contrast that with MacHeik's which is dead center in front of their show room doors.

Edited by shaggy314

Interesting.

When I went to pick up my car they were detailing it etc, so it was not left plugged in but like it was mentioned earlier while I was filling out the paperwork the car was sitting on the charger. I was not able to complete the charge by the time we finished, but they simply asked me to move the car to the service area and plug it back in (so I would not get locked in as they closed up the lot for the night). I then went to dinner while my car completed its charge.

I also came in to have my mud flaps installed. Left the car for the day, and they dropped me at work. I simply asked them to return the car to their charger after service. The guy was happy to oblige, but asked me to show him how to plug the car in! The joys of a brand new model. When I picked up the car that afternoon, the car was plugged into the charger and 100% charged. So far I am very happy with my dealership choice. No they do not have to do this, but my previous dealership (acura dealer) did not have to wash my car before delivering it back to me either. But they did. Just one of those things that gets you to come back to the dealer rather than Joe mechanic down the street. 

The car arrives from the factory with a minimal amount of gas in it.

There were no charges on my invoice for gas.

The only charges on my invoice were for sales tax, document fees, registration fee, transfer fee, title fee, and tire tax.

Most of that went to the state.

The dealer took it to the nearest gas station and filled the tank.

The battery charging finished while the salesman was showing me the features of the car.

Same here -- I did not have the fuel surcharge on my retail order, and drove it the day after it came off the truck, still had the plastic all over it (before PDI, a couple days before I took delivery) but I took it for a quick ride of a couple miles, and the low fuel indicator came on when I started it.  I also did not get assessed the advertising fee, so not sure when those do or do not come into play.

Edited by jeff_h

I stopped by Hall ford on 12896 Jefferson ave. in Newport News virginia today, a local dealership, to ask who may charge up (so I could post it here and on plugshare). I spoke with a sales representative who led me to his sales manager. The sales manager first told me that it was for their fleet and demo vehicles, then he said hang on and had the same sales person check. The sales representative came back and said I could not use the charger.

While I was waiting on the anwer the sales manager said to me. "What do you think will happen to these vehicles if or when the price of gas returns to where it should be". I told him that by 2050 most vehicles sold in CA will be electric and that this is the way of the future. 

I was told by the manager that if I was in for service or had purchased the vehicle from them then I may be able to charge. He said they are just not setup for that right now.

Good thing I didn't purchase a focus EV. I have also been driving by and have often seen them parking the same vehicles in front of the charger so that no one can charge up during and after hours.

Edited by FusionEnergi

I did not drive the Energi to the dealership, I was just curious on their customer service. That is exactly what I found out. I would not wait 2.5hrs to charge unless I really needed it. Since the Energi has the ICE I do not foresee this being an issue. Now for a full EV you would have to know where and when you can get a charge. If Ford dealerships want to encourage their customers to buy EVs and plug-ins you think they wouldn't mind letting you charge if the plug is available. You need a quarter or 50 cents. No problem, here you go. Encourage us to buy!

I found a chevy dealership close to my house that has a designated Volt parking spot and allows charging anytime. Now that is customer service. The dealership I bought from also has designated EV parking and allows 24hr charging. They do somewhat block the charger, but it is still accessible.

My next vehicle will be a full EV, so If I have to pay more to get great service then that is what I will do. I like the Tesla charging network which is still free to use. Maybe a model X will be our next vehicle. Safety and customer service should be first. If I wanted to be cheap I would have just kept my old vehicle and just put in a conversion kit or not.  

Whether they like it or not more EVs are coming and they are here to stay.

Driving in EV is so euphoric it's like being biten and now it runs in your veins. Atleast in mine. Any takers?

This is a whole new world, and I think there is not going to be a standard answer on charging at the dealership as unfortunately they have not given it that much thought. When I purchased my car, the salesman told me I was welcome anytime to plug it in. He even told me that he had an owner of a Nissan Leaf come by and ask if he could get a charge. He said he struggled with the question but thought the goodwill created by letting the guy charge for an hour or two might pay him back in the future.

Honestly, when you think about it that was probably pretty smart. How long is they guy really going to spend there anyway. (2 hours = ~50 cents) and maybe he walks around and looks at what Ford now brings to the table for PEV?

FusionEnergi's post above is even more ridiculous.  The owner of a Ford can't use 25-50 cents of power because they didn't buy from you? Very short sighted. Lets see, someone who likes my product but for whatever reason did not purchase from me so I will spend $$$ in advertising to see if I can get them on my lot but I wont spend ~25cents/hour in goodwill that has them trapped on their lot. Brilliant! And bonus, I might leave them with hard feelings too! Now I could understand setting up some ground rules, but just no?  Another great suggestion from FusionEnergi above was to put in a charger on the chargepoint network and charge a nominal fee for it (cost recovery), still a better answer then no.