Ford Fusion Energi Forum

ICE Always on and Service Engine Soon and/or Powertrain Fault lights illuminated

GSamkh

Hello,

I am having a really bad day, I just found out that my transmission needs to be repaired/replaced. Not only this, but after I left from the mechanic's, I saw service engine soon and powertrain fault lights come on. At first I did not notice any strange behaviors from the car, but after I let it sit and couple of hours passed, I started it up again, the lights are still there but now the ICE is always on. I mean, hybrid system does not work. Earlier today I had to drive on a very bad road and it was raining, so I went through some water. I know that wet cables might cause the service engine soon light and it might go away by itself, but I do not understand why the ICE is always on. Could it be connected to the transmission? But, I have known for more than a week that my transmission needed a replacement, but the car still drove fine.

Has anyone ever had such problem?

On 4/9/2022 at 5:15 AM, theterminator93 said:

Depending on the age/mileage your car may still be under powertrain warranty. Either way, the first thing to do is get the DTCs read. The computer obviously knows there's something wrong - "listening" to what it has to say is never a bad thing when you're getting started.

Thank you for the reply.

The car was bought on auction and imported to Georgia (the country). So, the warranty of any kind is not accessible by me. The car has 155 000 KM (96 000 miles) on it. I think the problem is caused by water intrusion. I had to drive through some puddles and that might be the reason. I will definitely get the DTCs read. I just wanted to know, if somehow this could be connected to my transmission problem. Could failing transmission cause hybrid system not to work? 

*Update - Started the car today, powertrain failure light was gone, hybrid system worked normally, but SES light was still on. Plugged in and charged with 240 volts up to 40%, started the car again, SES light was still on, but EV now mode also worked fine. Drove about 1 KM, shut the car down, started it again and SES light was also gone.

I am now sure that the problem was the water intrusion and it dried out and now works fine.

Edited by GSamkh

Well, that's good at least.

The eCVT is basically the heart of the hybrid system, aside from the battery. The two electric motors must both function to provide the variable gear ratios needed for acceleration and cruising using either the engine or battery power only. They also need to work as both motors and generators to rotate at the needed speeds to achieve said variable ratios -- and to provide for reverse (the ICE cannot move the car backwards) and regenerative braking.

So yes, depending on the fault, an issue with the eCVT could cripple hybrid operations.