Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Range/Gas tank size

Kdaporcupine

Hey all!

Ive been observing with my 2017 Ffe

ive been getting 450miles of range at 43.4mpg. Now normally I wouldn’t mind it right? But I’ve been seeing that at that calculation my tank is only about 10.36 gallons so probably 11 gallons or 12.

but these are supposed to have 14 gallon tanks. So with that being used isn’t my range supposed to be 607 miles? Anyone done the math on theirs? I did buy my car used so I guess it’s possible that the tank is smaller than it’s supposed to be. But just wanted to know if maybe I’m tripping out or if there’s something wrong and I can still use the warranty for it

I am assuming that the "reported" empty (0 miles remaining) on the gauge leaves a gallon or two in reserve - if in fact the tank is 14 gallons usable. But I've seen what you've observed as well - from the 1/4 mark the tank only takes about 9 gallons. The most I've ever put into the tank at one time was 11.64 gallons.

I have never had cause or intent to run the tank down below about 50 miles of range. It should be possible to test if there's any reserve fuel though, by keeping the car in "EV Later" mode with a fully charged HVB and staying within EV range of a gas station if/when the engine starts to run rough (indicative of fuel starvation).

Edited by theterminator93

Yeah, if there's sediment at the bottom of the tank the saying goes it gets ingested by the pump and can clog the fuel filter. I've never experienced it personally - but then again, I never run my tanks completely empty. ?

The other bit I hear is the fact that in general, it's unhealthy to run a tank consistently low due to the lack of fuel cooling the fuel pump.

On 3/31/2022 at 8:03 PM, Kdaporcupine said:

Hey all!

I've been observing with my 2017 Ffe

i've been getting 450miles of range at 43.4mpg. Now normally I wouldn’t mind it right? But I’ve been seeing that at that calculation my tank is only about 10.36 gallons so probably 11 gallons or 12.

but these are supposed to have 14 gallon tanks. So with that being used isn’t my range supposed to be 607 miles? Anyone done the math on theirs? I did buy my car used so I guess it’s possible that the tank is smaller than it’s supposed to be. But just wanted to know if maybe I’m tripping out or if there’s something wrong and I can still use the warranty for it

I've put well over 12 gallons in on a fillup before.  I usually get down below the 50 miles left before filling up.  I fill mine so rarely though, I don't really track it.  When I do fill up it tells me it has over 600 miles of range, though my average mileage (~48) is higher than yours so that is part of it.