Ford Fusion Energi Forum

By-passing EV charging

GrampaDick

I just sold my 2018 Fusion Hybrid and bought a 2020 Fusion Energi. I live in an apartment and home charging is not an option. I am Intending to drive it like my Hybrid and bypass the EV charging option. I am a local driver so I don’t need to drive it on EV. Li-ion batteries don’t need to be topped off or even fully charge. Does anyone see a problem with my by-passing EV charging.

Richard

Edited by GrampaDick
Spellin and grammer

If you never plug it in it will behave just like a hybrid. The one benefit you'll have though is being able to use regenerative braking much more effectively than a regular hybrid.

Something to beware of though, is the 12V battery doesn't charge while driving like it does in a regular hybrid or ICE vehicle. The only time the 12V battery charges is after the plug-in charge cycle is completed. When the 12V battery dies, many essential vehicle functions will go offline. I recommend you fully charge the car at least 1-2 times monthly to ensure the 12V battery doesn't die.

All that said, local trips at low speed within several miles of home are where these cars are at their best - no gas usage at all.

Edited by theterminator93

On 2/20/2022 at 5:34 PM, theterminator93 said:

Something to beware of though, is the 12V battery doesn't charge while driving like it does in a regular hybrid or ICE vehicle. The only time the 12V battery charges is after the plug-in charge cycle is completed. 

That is not true.  It does charge the 12V when driving, even in EV mode using the DC-DC converter to charge.  Some people drive for months without plugging in, and don't have their batteries die.  Yet if you just let the car sit for a few weeks, it'll be dead as a doornail.  It does also charge at the end of the HVB charging cycle, but that is not the only time it charges.

While there is nothing bad about using it as a hybrid only, driving around town is the best time to be using EV mode.  It nets the most miles per kWh, and is gentle on the battery, assuming no jackrabbit starts.

Edited by jsamp
added last paragraph.

There was a spate of used FFEs that came on the market around 2017 that were said to be former fleet vehicles, that were likely never plugged in.  Their high-voltage batteries showed little, if any, degradation.  Also, one poster here runs his Energi in hybrid mode all summer, to avoid degradation due to high temps.  IIRC he said he runs at 0% charge most of the summer.

There will be no problem due to running yours strictly as a hybrid.  Just the benefit that you won't be degrading your HVB as much as the rest of us who plug in.

• 2 years later...
On 2/21/2022 at 10:12 PM, jsamp said:

That is not true.  It does charge the 12V when driving, even in EV mode using the DC-DC converter to charge.  Some people drive for months without plugging in, and don't have their batteries die.  Yet if you just let the car sit for a few weeks, it'll be dead as a doornail.  It does also charge at the end of the HVB charging cycle, but that is not the only time it charges.

I'm having issues with my 12v battery ever since I stopped charging my 2020 FFE back in October, 2023 after Ford put out the BECM recall.  I have a short 3.8 mile commute and over the past few months the passenger side touch to unlock would stop working and I would get the message low battery shutting down warning.... a couple of items that warn the 12v battery is low.

So I have put the battery on a battery charger and the issues went away for a while with the 12v having a full charge.  However after a few weeks my 12v is acting up again... passenger side door will not unlock by touch... the low battery warning.   Is my short commute killing the 12v battery? 

I just pulled fuse #10 to disable the 3G modem and I have been charging the car nightly for the past week and by doing so everything is back to normal.  I know Ford says do not charge the battery but what else can I do to keep the 12v in good condition?

Edited by JeepBaja

Not sure what your dead battery issue is, but there are some possibilities. 1) DC charging circuit is fried - this would be fed by the DC-DC converter.  2) Old weak battery (has it been replaced?  it's 3-4 years old now). 

You could use a trickle charger at night instead of plugging in the HVB.  Rig up a quick-disconnect plug to either the battery in the trunk or the posts under the hood and you could quickly plug in a trickle charger.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had this happen on my 2015 when my main commute was less than the PHEV battery range - but it took several months and then car went into hibernation mode.  I added a charger to the battery overnight and then made sure to include an occasional full 30+ drive on ICE only to keep the alternator charging the 12v battery.  Traded in recently for a 2020 but was not an issue for over a year after that revised approach.  

Edited by Johnny Mo

On 4/10/2024 at 8:27 AM, Johnny Mo said:

I had this happen on my 2015 when my main commute was less than the PHEV battery range - but it took several months and then car went into hibernation mode.  I added a charger to the battery overnight and then made sure to include an occasional full 30+ drive on ICE only to keep the alternator charging the 12v battery.  Traded in recently for a 2020 but was not an issue for over a year after that revised approach.  

There is no alternator on the Energi's.  It uses a DC-DC converter from the HVB to run/charge the 12V circuit and battery.  I have been getting a few warnings recently when driving for more than an hour on hybrid mode.  I'm wondering if my DC-DC converter is having issues.