Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Ford Fusion Energi Engine(ICE) sound

OxxO

Hello,

I have ford fusion energi 2017 SEL.

Its cold outside. Around -10C and i started my car and ICE kicked in because the battery was low.

Then ICE kicked in i heard some sort of part moving for a sec. Not a sound I hear then normal engine kicks in and the car started and the engine ran fine with no issues. I restarted the car kinda 5 times to confirm if the sound is present. And it was, seemed like normal operation. But idk. Then the engine kick in while driving, no sound at all. But if the car is parked and the engine kicks in the sound appear.

Is it normal for these cars?

Edited by OxxO
Wrong name

• OxxO changed the title to Ford Fusion Energi Engine(ICE) sound

Welcome to the community.

Can you elaborate a little more on the sound you're hearing? What does it sound like? Scraping, grinding, pumping, whirring, creaking etc.? Where is it coming from? Can you hear it better with the windows rolled down? Low speed/stopped or while moving?

With the ICE off, there is a small pump attached to the eCVT that is unique to the Energis which keeps the transmission lubricated with the engine driven fluid pump off. This will turn on at times with the engine off and can easily be heard inside the cabin at low speeds and no HVAC/entertainment.

Hello!

It is not happening while driving. 

The issue is:

1.Temperature ouside is -10C  and the car is stationary.

2.Battery level is currently 0

3.Then I turn on the car ICE kicks in instantly(thats normal because battery is 0 prcnt)

4. I hear the sound for at least one sec after pressing start button and then ICE starts, something hard like crank/bump but for 1 S. I hear it better then the windows are open.

5. Repeated that for 6 times, same thing.

6. After that everything runs fine, engine runs like a bee, no abnormal sounds or warnings.

I have the car for 1 month now. And every time before then I start the icon that I can drive apeared ( because it started in EV mode ). But now I fully depleted the battery and it started on ICE, but that sound felt like some sort of starter or parts moving idk. 

It came from front left side jus before engine kicks in. But not electric sound. There are no sounds of ecvt while driving or doing something.

Also. Then i press brake I hear low click and then I press gas I also hear click. But I think thats normal?

Edited by OxxO

The ICE does not have a starter motor.  It is started by one of the two electric motors.  The other electric motor has to be locked so it can't turn due to the gearing between the ICE and the two electric motors.  That process is probably making the noise that you hear although in 8 years of driving an Energi I never heard anything that I considered abnormal.

There is only one high voltage battery.  It is partitioned as follows:

5.6 kWh - electric drive mode

1.5 kWh - hybrid drive mode

0.5 kWh - battery protection

On 12/30/2021 at 5:52 PM, OxxO said:

Probably its normal. If i hear it again after I am back from holidays. Ill record the sound. Because after the sound the engine runs completely fine.

Also what about the ticks then i press brake ( small dull one time tick ) And gas ( sma dull one time tick ). ?

The accelerator pedal is two three terminal resistors wired directly to the computer.  The computer controls the engine.

When you press the brake pedal it engages the regenerative braking which comes from one of the electric motors acting as a generator.

The differential has to reverse direction so the wheels are now driving an electric motor.  I guess it could come from the differential when its direction is reversed.

We'll wait for a video clip. It probably is normal but it doesn't sound like anything I've experienced. I always drive the car with at least a partial charge so it never starts the ICE immediately when I turn the car on. I will say there is a second or so of "lag" as the motors do their thing and spin up the rotating assembly. Whenever that happens though, I'm always in motion so any of the sounds associated with that action are lost to road noise.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

So yea. I think the sound was normal.

However I have another issue regarding those small dull cliks? Then i am driving on EV mode, i oppened the energy monitor woth those blue lines. Then i press brake while driving, i hear the small dull click and the blue line from wheel disapears for a sec and the direction of power changes(charges fhe battery). After I press the gas again - I hear another small click the blue line disapears for a sec and then the flow changes(drives the wheels) Is it normal?

So yea. I understand that it is then energy flow gets reversed. But is it fine and its just how it goes? Just strange to hear something then you are driving in complete silence :D...

Edited by OxxO