Ford Fusion Energi Forum

4G Modem replacement details

j8048188

On 6/6/2022 at 3:55 PM, Bernard Lechler said:

Courtesy Ford in London Ontario quoted me a price at over $500.00 CAD for a replacement modem and that the install would be free. It feels like that's a bit steep.

Mohawk Ford in Hamilton, Ontario told me that I would have to pay both parts and labor, and it would be $1,500.  I sensed that they didn't want to do it!

On 6/8/2022 at 9:18 AM, Titanium Tom said:

A FordPass Guide said in a chat this morning: Ford has not provided a date as to when or if the installation process will resume.

Screenshot_20220608-090852_FordPass.thumb.jpg.13d10cb809d668d8632f5f1f43da9479.jpg

The dealership near me discussed the issue with Ford. According to the Ford engineers, it will probably be a year until installations resume.

On 6/9/2022 at 10:36 PM, ldwr011 said:

The dealership near me discussed the issue with Ford. According to the Ford engineers, it will probably be a year until installations resume.

If we assume the Ford dealer service folks and Ford customer service reps are being completely candid and accurate then it would be sometime in 2023 or three full model years after the last FFE model year (2020) . . .also past the end of the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty of all the FFEs.

I wonder about that and wonder why the pause if for technical reasons.  

With the help of the great folks on this forum I am one of the folks that successfully completed the 4G upgrade.   It is now about two months later and all continues to work great.  Day to day I take it for granted it works so well . . .so if for the purposes of discussion we discount any warranty or quasi legal issues what could be the problem driving the pause?

If I had lots of free time and the correct test equipment an interesting experiment would be measuring a full day’s current draw of the 3G modem (TCU) when active with normal data “conversation” (impossible to do now since 3G is gone) vs. the 4G modem (TCU) with full daily data conversation.  Just based on the radio transmission energy basics I would not be surprised if the 4G modem consumed more current than the 3G.   The fact that the 3G modem’s enclosure was all plastic and did not have any obvious heat sinks whereas the 4G has a metal enclosure with multiple heat sinks further points to the potential of higher current drain of the 4G.   We have to remember that the “H” series 4G modem both Ford and the DIY community has been installing was originally from vehicles with much larger 12v batteries than in our FFEs.  Early on in my DIY adventure I ended up having to replace my 12V battery on my 2020 FFE at less than 3years life yet the 12V battery on my 2015 Fusion regular Hybrid lasted over 5 years.  The FFE has the ability to send the API (perhaps modem too) into a sleep mode once the battery goes below a certain level.  Perhaps this is happening to more FFE (and CMAX) users that have upgraded to 4G?   As most FFE owners know  . . .if the 12v battery fails it is a bit of an adventure to get in the car so you can pop the hood and get to the 12v “jumper points.”

In an effort to never have to face that task and assure longer life out of my new (and surprisingly expensive) 12v battery I installed a properly fused weather proof “SAE” type connector well hidden on the outside of the car.   When I plug in the main 240v charge cable in the garage I also now plug into that SAE connector a BatteryTender (Deltran makes a nice fully automatic 4amp max version that works well).  Since I started that doing that  I have never had the “system disabled to protect battery” on Sync in the morning for no matter how many days the car has been just sitting dormant in the garage. Note that if you should decide to add such a externally accessible 12v “charge port” on your vehicle you must make sure it is properly fused (I went with 3amp), cables have the proper gauge with  high temperature insulation, is routed to be protected from elements, proper high temp cable ties are used, connect to the correct “jumper” points under the hood using proper connectors, etc.   Doing such a retrofit without these aspects properly implemented could not only damage your vehicle, but cause a fire and thereby damaging your car, your home, and also cause serious injury or even death.  This is why I will not share further details, pictures, etc. of how I did this as any DIYer must take full responsibility for their own design and installation quality for such retrofits. 

Edited by jtex

On 6/10/2022 at 5:34 AM, jtex said:

If we assume the Ford dealer service folks and Ford customer service reps are being completely candid and accurate then it would be sometime in 2023 or three full model years after the last FFE model year (2020) . . .also past the end of the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty of all the FFEs.

I wonder about that and wonder why the pause if for technical reasons.  

With the help of the great folks on this forum I am one of the folks that successfully completed the 4G upgrade.   It is now about two months later and all continues to work great.  Day to day I take it for granted it works so well . . .so if for the purposes of discussion we discount any warranty or quasi legal issues what could be the problem driving the pause?

If I had lots of free time and the correct test equipment an interesting experiment would be measuring a full day’s current draw of the 3G modem (TCU) when active with normal data “conversation” (impossible to do now since 3G is gone) vs. the 4G modem (TCU) with full daily data conversation.  Just based on the radio transmission energy basics I would not be surprised if the 4G modem consumed more current than the 3G.   The fact that the 3G modem’s enclosure was all plastic and did not have any obvious heat sinks whereas the 4G has a metal enclosure with multiple heat sinks further points to the potential of higher current drain of the 4G.   We have to remember that the “H” series 4G modem both Ford and the DIY community has been installing was originally from vehicles with much larger 12v batteries than in our FFEs.  Early on in my DIY adventure I ended up having to replace my 12V battery on my 2020 FFE at less than 3years life yet the 12V battery on my 2015 Fusion regular Hybrid lasted over 5 years.  The FFE has the ability to send the API (perhaps modem too) into a sleep mode once the battery goes below a certain level.  Perhaps this is happening to more FFE (and CMAX) users that have upgraded to 4G?   As most FFE owners know  . . .if the 12v battery fails it is a bit of an adventure to get in the car so you can pop the hood and get to the 12v “jumper points.”

In an effort to never have to face that task and assure longer life out of my new (and surprisingly expensive) 12v battery I installed a properly fused weather proof “SAE” type connector well hidden on the outside of the car.   When I plug in the main 240v charge cable in the garage I also now plug into that SAE connector a BatteryTender (Deltran makes a nice fully automatic 4amp max version that works well).  Since I started that doing that  I have never had the “system disabled to protect battery” on Sync in the morning for no matter how many days the car has been just sitting dormant in the garage. Note that if you should decide to add such a externally accessible 12v “charge port” on your vehicle you must make sure it is properly fused (I went with 3amp), cables have the proper gauge with  high temperature insulation, is routed to be protected from elements, proper high temp cable ties are used, connect to the correct “jumper” points under the hood using proper connectors, etc.   Doing such a retrofit without these aspects properly implemented could not only damage your vehicle, but cause a fire and thereby damaging your car, your home, and also cause serious injury or even death.  This is why I will not share further details, pictures, etc. of how I did this as any DIYer must take full responsibility for their own design and installation quality for such retrofits. 

Thanks for taking your time to add insight to this 4G upgrade conversion. I'll check with the service department of our local dealer again at the end of the month.

The only reason I have any anxiety over this issue is simply because I know what the convenience of being connected remotely to your car is like.

However, to take the sting out of this affront, I purchased my CPO 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with 76 miles for $24,950 in June of 2020 from a dealer in Michigan.

Today CarMax is offering me $27,600 with over 18,000 miles!

Screenshot_20220610-070542_Firefox.thumb.jpg.8a3e4306bff97f0db3f3c88041a72254.jpg

Edited by Titanium Tom

For reference, I thought I would share my experience of upgrading my modem on my 2016 Ford Fusion Energi. To start off, I think if you have done the Sync 3 upgrade, you should be able to do the 4G upgrade. They are of similar difficulty and not very hard to do at all if you follow the steps.

I initially installed the HJ5T-14G087-UF variant of the 4G modem. Upon installation it provided a DTC of U3000:04-0A. This is an internal code described as "System Internal Failures". I attempted to reset the modem as well as flashing the firmware to the newer version -UM firmware. This did not solve the problem. The modem would not work and never showed a signal or anything indicative of it being operational. This something that is not super common, but it does happen (as seen on the f150forum).

Luckily, I had bought a second one (also HJ5T-14G087-UF) as it was only $50 on eBay. I installed this modem and it worked perfectly. Right away it showed as being ready for authorization. I changed the first two blocks to the appropriate values for my vehicle. Then I began flashing the -UM firmware. It took just under an hour to complete and I was able to finish on the first attempt. I did this with the OBDLink EX connected through a USB 2.0 hub. I also had an 8 amp charger hooked up to the 12v battery, though it is listed that the charger should be 6 amps at minimum. After the firmware was flashed, I attempted the activation process on the FordPass app but since the app is somewhat buggy, I used the ConnectedCar site to start the activation. This seemed to get everything in order and the app started treating my vehicle properly. Almost instantly, I was able to use remote start, lock/unlock, and view charging status. While the connection seemed to stutter at first, with FordPass only receiving "partial data", everything got better over a couple hours. I still am unable to toggle the charge status notification. I am presented with a long loading screen until it eventually times out. I will wait a couple more days to see if anything changes.

antenna_placement.jpg

tcu_placement.jpg

I would be concerned that making any modifications not authorized by Ford would void my warranty. But for those out of warranty who have the ability to follow step by step directions, being innovative has its rewards.

This was in my news feed today:

Fusion Infotainment Screen Modernizes Sedan

This 13.6 inch vertical screen with a HDTV digital module would be a nice addition to a working 4G modem for those out of warranty. Hopefully, Ford engineers will resolve this modem compatibility issue soon. ?

2013-2020-Ford-Fusion-Phoenix-Automotive-13.6-Inch-Infotainment-Screen-Android-003.thumb.jpg.dc02294eb19c5bb94f6a0a45d152a3ee.jpg

But keep in mind that changing the operating system means a potential buyer can't take the car to a dealer for any repairs related to the system. This would lower the value of the automobile. This is a question asked by buyers "Has there been any modifications to this car?"

Edited by Titanium Tom

• 2 weeks later...

This part is interesting:

Warranty Status: Eligible under provisions of New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW)/Service Part Warranty
(SPW)/Special Service Part (SSP)Extended Service Plan (ESP) coverage. Limits/policies/prior approvals are not
altered by a TSB. NVLW/SPW/SSP/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified
using the OASIS part coverage tool.

On 6/21/2022 at 9:48 PM, j8048188 said:

Looks like Ford will resume installs starting the week of June 27th.

They've made some updates to the TSB, I've attached a newer one. 

TSB_22-2230.pdf 544.53 kB · 5 downloads

Thanks, I'll take a copy of this TSB to my local Ford dealership and schedule it for service.

I removed my Energi from the FordPass app and then when I started the car Sync gave a notice to add a vehicle.

20220622_080828.thumb.jpg.a0dfbe912ca14a1c63020f94e238e072.jpg

That's how I found the FordPass settings in Sync 3.4 under settings - mobile apps - FordPass.

20220622_083917.thumb.jpg.6a396ca33b69b2c1d77495ebec02455b.jpg

I have an appointment for the 4G install mid July.

Edited by Titanium Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone seen or attempted to use one of these?

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/1?q=cellbounce&client=safari&biw=1194&bih=716&dpr=2&prds=eto:216765036965609026_1,pid:216765036965609026&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiXw9qd3d34AhUSHjQIHRugAkMQ8gII3QgoAA

Basically a 3G to 4G bridge.  Requires 110v, so I was thinking to leave it in the garage.  Mostly just use the app from home anyway.  I could reverse-engineer the power adapter.  I wouldn’t be surprised if it were a standard 12v.

On 7/3/2022 at 9:18 PM, SuperSleeper said:

Anyone seen or attempted to use one of these?

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/1?q=cellbounce&client=safari&biw=1194&bih=716&dpr=2&prds=eto:216765036965609026_1,pid:216765036965609026&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiXw9qd3d34AhUSHjQIHRugAkMQ8gII3QgoAA

Basically a 3G to 4G bridge.  Requires 110v, so I was thinking to leave it in the garage.  Mostly just use the app from home anyway.  I could reverse-engineer the power adapter.  I wouldn’t be surprised if it were a standard 12v.

Nope. Even if at a base level it was able to allow the old 3G TCU to communicate with Ford after being 'translated' over to LTE, Ford shut down MyFord Mobile full stop and the 3G modem will only operate with that app. It cannot be made to function with FordPass. And FordPass will only work with the newer 4G TCU's.

On 7/3/2022 at 9:45 PM, cr08 said:

Nope. Even if at a base level it was able to allow the old 3G TCU to communicate with Ford after being 'translated' over to LTE, Ford shut down MyFord Mobile full stop and the 3G modem will only operate with that app. It cannot be made to function with FordPass. And FordPass will only work with the newer 4G TCU's.

Yep. That's a neat idea, but one would be better off putting that $250 towards getting the proper 4G modem... and hope that you've moved on to a different car by the time 4G gets shut down ?

Edited by bookemdano

• 2 weeks later...

Our local Ford dealership was able to install the 4G modem today and FordPass is working well with all functions. ? The technician had problems with the authorization process (4.5 hours) but about an hour after they called me to add the vehicle VIN to the app I did it again and... VOILÀ

The modem charge was $318.45 with $150.00 labor and tax totaled $498.90 ?

Our local Ford dealership was able to install the 4G modem today and FordPass is working well with all functions. ? The technician had problems with the authorization process (4.5 hours) but about an hour after they called me to add the vehicle VIN to the app I did it again and... VOILÀ

The modem charge was $318.45 with $150.00 labor and tax totaled $498.90 ?

On 6/12/2022 at 5:51 AM, Titanium Tom said:

Now Carvana is offering me $28,544 or $3,594 more than I paid for my Energi two years ago. I wonder how much I could get in a private sale and should I disclose the fact of not having 4G connectivity or should I do what Ford did to us since they set the precedent?

Screenshot_20220612-074837_Firefox.thumb.jpg.5bb55b8930e3f38986a7c63334862b1d.jpg

They won't give me that much for a 2018 with 44k miles.

1181079560_ScreenShot2022-07-13at9_57_15PM.thumb.png.67fe3e1f495c0b8e074bca24a8ca506d.png

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone that either had the conversion to 4G done by a dealer or did it themselves checked “Oil life remaining” via Fordpass in the past week?   Suddenly this past week when I do I get the:“Something went wrong. Please try again later.”  All was fine on this until this past week.   I have made no changes in the past few months.  All else works fine.

On 7/23/2022 at 2:47 PM, jtex said:

Has anyone that either had the conversion to 4G done by a dealer or did it themselves checked “Oil life remaining” via Fordpass in the past week?   Suddenly this past week when I do I get the:“Something went wrong. Please try again later.”  All was fine on this until this past week.   I have made no changes in the past few months.  All else works fine.

Yes I am seeing the same thing this morning on my C-Max, so it's not just you or just Fusion Energi owners. The last time I had looked at was probably a month or more ago, so I'm not sure when the error message started appearing.

It could have something to do with Ford deprecating the bluetooth connection stuff from FordPass. I believe oil life was one of the parameters that could be reported via that connection without needing a TCU. But for those of us who do have a TCU, oil life should be reporting that way, so hopefully it comes back for us. 

On 7/25/2022 at 11:17 AM, bookemdano said:

Yes I am seeing the same thing this morning on my C-Max, so it's not just you or just Fusion Energi owners. The last time I had looked at was probably a month or more ago, so I'm not sure when the error message started appearing.

It could have something to do with Ford deprecating the bluetooth connection stuff from FordPass. I believe oil life was one of the parameters that could be reported via that connection without needing a TCU. But for those of us who do have a TCU, oil life should be reporting that way, so hopefully it comes back for us. 

2019 Ford Fusion Energi with modem replaced by dealer, and Oil Life Remaining appears to be working fine.

FordPass updated their app yesterday (iOS anyway) and among the changes it mentions: "Update corrects oil life errors"

Sure enough, my oil life readout has returned, and they even beefed it up a bit. Now it gives an estimate of the time/distance remaining before the next oil change (which is a not that difficult of a calculation but still handy to have displayed).

oillife.jpg

Edited by bookemdano