Ford Fusion Energi Forum

4G Modem replacement details

j8048188

Any suggestions? I just got off the phone with Ford and I am being told that this program was cancelled and will not be back.

What is someone supposed to do with an electric car that you can't sign up for the preferred charging network?

I purchased the vehicle with the knowledge that it had to be done on my 2020 FFE but when I got to the dealer I was told that the program had been cancelled.

Now I can't do anything with a car that is still under basic warranty.

On 5/17/2022 at 4:31 PM, Seth Balsam said:

Any suggestions? I just got off the phone with Ford and I am being told that this program was cancelled and will not be back.

What is someone supposed to do with an electric car that you can't sign up for the preferred charging network?

I purchased the vehicle with the knowledge that it had to be done on my 2020 FFE but when I got to the dealer I was told that the program had been cancelled.

Now I can't do anything with a car that is still under basic warranty.

I would ask for your case to be escalated.  Then send emails to several of their executive officers including the leaders of the customer support team.  Post a message to both their Twitter and Facebook support feeds.  I also have a 2020 FFE.  I did the above and they made me whole.  I'm not sure which tactic is the one that worked.

Hoping someone here can make a suggestion on how to proceed.  Namely, get the TCU module into an authorization state so it will talk to Ford’s servers.

I am the original owner of a 2013 “Unicorn” Fusion Energi, as one of Ford’s corp reps called my car.  Why is my car a unicorn?  Cause it shouldn’t have everything it does on it for instance all 12 parking sensors pre-wired from the factory.

Anyways, when I got the MFM announcement like everyone else in February about the decommissioning of MFM and the ability to buy the 4G Upgrade Kit, I called Ford to confirm it would work in my car, especially considering the 2014+ model service bulletin and letter people got.  I was told no problem it would work fine, especially since I did a Sync 2 to Sync 3 upgrade.

Two weeks ago I had the local dealership install the kit in my car.  Since then nothing.  The Ford servers think my car still has a 3G modem in it from the fact when trying to add my car to the Ford Pass App it tells me to download and use the MFM app.  But here is the kicker, when I got my car back from the dealership, not only was it not connecting to Ford Pass my Sync 3 was completely jacked up.  Turns out the tech took it upon himself to “fix things.”

After doing a ton of research and getting Forscan, I discovered he jacked up the APIM As-Built, left the PAM and TCU modules with U2100 errors and did something to completely drain the 12V battery overnight if the car wasn’t left connected to the L2 charger I have.

The TCU As-Built was also screwed up.  Looking at it would you wouldn’t know what car it was in.  For example 754-01-01's first block was 0031.  Since then I updated the As-Built based this forum and Cyan DB info.

Anyways, I took it back to the dealership to figure out why the battery drained like it did.  I was told that my battery was shot and needed to be replaced and “all the modules needed to be reprogrammed.”

Yes, I probably did need a new battery considering the age.  So I said sure just install a new batter and reprogram the modules.  After getting my car back and checking things out, the PAM and TCUs still have the U2100 DTC errors.  Obviously it seems like they did reset the Battery Energy Control Module but nothing more.

So to my issue.  Prior to the most recent trip to the dealership, the TCU Authorization Status PID was “Factory” or “Factory State”.  I can’t remember which.  Now it’s blank.  I do get message on my APIM about adding my car to Ford Pass (the car is not added to my Ford Pass app at this time).  Based on my comments and the attachments what would people sugges be my next step to get this working since I don't think the dealership really has any clue?  I have already did a master reset..  Thinking maybe reseting the TCU via Forscan but hoping for some guidance.

Thanks for all the hard work everyone has contributed to this thread and the community.

TCU_AS_BUILT.png

TCU_MODULE_INFO.png

TCU_PIDs.png

On 5/19/2022 at 11:33 AM, brass09dad said:

Hoping someone here can make a suggestion on how to proceed.  Namely, get the TCU module into an authorization state so it will talk to Ford’s servers.

I am the original owner of a 2013 “Unicorn” Fusion Energi, as one of Ford’s corp reps called my car.  Why is my car a unicorn?  Cause it shouldn’t have everything it does on it for instance all 12 parking sensors pre-wired from the factory.

Anyways, when I got the MFM announcement like everyone else in February about the decommissioning of MFM and the ability to buy the 4G Upgrade Kit, I called Ford to confirm it would work in my car, especially considering the 2014+ model service bulletin and letter people got.  I was told no problem it would work fine, especially since I did a Sync 2 to Sync 3 upgrade.

Two weeks ago I had the local dealership install the kit in my car.  Since then nothing.  The Ford servers think my car still has a 3G modem in it from the fact when trying to add my car to the Ford Pass App it tells me to download and use the MFM app.  But here is the kicker, when I got my car back from the dealership, not only was it not connecting to Ford Pass my Sync 3 was completely jacked up.  Turns out the tech took it upon himself to “fix things.”

After doing a ton of research and getting Forscan, I discovered he jacked up the APIM As-Built, left the PAM and TCU modules with U2100 errors and did something to completely drain the 12V battery overnight if the car wasn’t left connected to the L2 charger I have.

The TCU As-Built was also screwed up.  Looking at it would you wouldn’t know what car it was in.  For example 754-01-01's first block was 0031.  Since then I updated the As-Built based this forum and Cyan DB info.

Anyways, I took it back to the dealership to figure out why the battery drained like it did.  I was told that my battery was shot and needed to be replaced and “all the modules needed to be reprogrammed.”

Yes, I probably did need a new battery considering the age.  So I said sure just install a new batter and reprogram the modules.  After getting my car back and checking things out, the PAM and TCUs still have the U2100 DTC errors.  Obviously it seems like they did reset the Battery Energy Control Module but nothing more.

So to my issue.  Prior to the most recent trip to the dealership, the TCU Authorization Status PID was “Factory” or “Factory State”.  I can’t remember which.  Now it’s blank.  I do get message on my APIM about adding my car to Ford Pass (the car is not added to my Ford Pass app at this time).  Based on my comments and the attachments what would people sugges be my next step to get this working since I don't think the dealership really has any clue?  I have already did a master reset..  Thinking maybe reseting the TCU via Forscan but hoping for some guidance.

Thanks for all the hard work everyone has contributed to this thread and the community.

TCU_AS_BUILT.png

TCU_MODULE_INFO.png

TCU_PIDs.png

Your TCU AsBuilt and status looks good and where it should be. You mentioned they messed up your APIM AsBuilt. Can you post that here as well?

As @cr08 said, post your APIM's asbuilt as there are bits in there that need to be set to tell the car there's a TCU present. 

Also, on your sync screen if you go to Settings > General > About Sync is there an alphanumeric modem ESN listed (starts with U)? If so then the TCU and APIM are at least communicating on a basic level.

You can try setting the 3rd & 4th digits of the TCU's asbuilt (754-01-01) to xx00 (in your case B800). After you write that change and monitor the PIDs you should see the auth status flip back to factory mode (or unprovisioned mode--I forget which). Then you should be able to set the line back to B862, write the change and the PID should show "Wait for Authorize". That's when it's ready for you to add it to FordPass and do the authorization step inside the vehicle.

If you can't get the FordPass authorization step to work then you should try doing it here: https://connectedcar-sdk.com. First, log in to the Ford site from a web browser and make sure your car's VIN is in your account (if not, you can add it). Then log in with the same info to the connectedcar-sdk site and try to authorize it there. 

On 5/19/2022 at 9:18 AM, cr08 said:

Your TCU AsBuilt and status looks good and where it should be. You mentioned they messed up your APIM AsBuilt. Can you post that here as well?

Here is the APIM AsBuilt I took last night.  I can't remember off the top of my head which blocks were messed up but it was related to the Park Assist and Flank Guard.

APIM_AS_BUILT.png

On 5/19/2022 at 11:58 AM, brass09dad said:

Here is the APIM AsBuilt I took last night.  I can't remember off the top of my head which blocks were messed up but it was related to the Park Assist and Flank Guard.

APIM_AS_BUILT.png

Looks correct. The bit in question is 7D0-02-02 xxxx Xxxx xxxx, where X=9, which is what you've got there.

On 5/19/2022 at 9:57 AM, bookemdano said:

As @cr08 said, post your APIM's asbuilt as there are bits in there that need to be set to tell the car there's a TCU present. 

Also, on your sync screen if you go to Settings > General > About Sync is there an alphanumeric modem ESN listed (starts with U)? If so then the TCU and APIM are at least communicating on a basic level.

You can try setting the 3rd & 4th digits of the TCU's asbuilt (754-01-01) to xx00 (in your case B800). After you write that change and monitor the PIDs you should see the auth status flip back to factory mode (or unprovisioned mode--I forget which). Then you should be able to set the line back to B862, write the change and the PID should show "Wait for Authorize". That's when it's ready for you to add it to FordPass and do the authorization step inside the vehicle.

If you can't get the FordPass authorization step to work then you should try doing it here: https://connectedcar-sdk.com. First, log in to the Ford site from a web browser and make sure your car's VIN is in your account (if not, you can add it). Then log in with the same info to the connectedcar-sdk site and try to authorize it there. 

So yes Sync is listing the modem's ESN and it does start with a U.

Awesome!!

Thank you both!!  @cr08@bookemdano 

On 5/19/2022 at 10:05 AM, bookemdano said:

Looks correct. The bit in question is 7D0-02-02 xxxx Xxxx xxxx, where X=9, which is what you've got there.

I'm not sure about the 9.  

My understanding is 9 represents "9=DS On, RSS Not Present, PDCA CGEA 1.3, TCU Present". 

I did not set it.  DS = Deep Sleep which is a Sync 3.4 feature based on the APIM DB and the version of Sync I have is 3.4 Build 21194_PRODUCT.

On 5/19/2022 at 12:20 PM, brass09dad said:

I'm not sure about the 9.  

My understanding is 9 represents "9=DS On, RSS Not Present, PDCA CGEA 1.3, TCU Present". 

I did not set it.  DS = Deep Sleep which is a Sync 3.4 feature based on the APIM DB and the version of Sync I have is 3.4 Build 21194_PRODUCT.

9 should be correct since you have a CGEA 1.3 vehicle. The bit for DS doesn't matter since as you said it's not used in your version of Sync (so it gets ignored). You could probably set it to 1 if you really wanted to turn deep sleep off, but the default value is 9, so probably better to leave it set that way.

On 5/19/2022 at 9:57 AM, bookemdano said:

@bookemdano

So I have updated the first block of 754-01-01 to B800, but still no luck.  The PID is still blank, but the interesting thing is the DTC error was cleared.

Any other ideas?  Wondering out loud if I were to pull the 12v battery and let it sit would that basically hard reboot the TCU on reconnecting the battery.

Thanks.

@bookemdano @cr08

THANK YOU!!!!

So on a whim I added my car back to my account via Ford's website and then went to the app to see if it would show up.  It wasn't which I thought was weird because it was showing up before the new TCU went in.  Went back to the website deleted it.  Back to the app tried to add it and instead of MFM redirect message it actually went through the process of activating it.  Got the message about having to confirm in vehicle.  So back to the car.  Confirmed and boom!!  It's working.

Remote start, lock/unlock work perfectly.  All the metrics - location, odometer, battery %, gas level, estimated range, tire pressure monitoring, oil life are reporting correctly.  Only think that I've run into so far is setting up "Charge Level Notification", it just sits and spins "Loading" when trying to save then times out.

So looks like Forscan isn't liking how the TCU is presenting its PID for authorization state.  Even after the authorization, it is still blank.  I am using v2.3.46 and I saw that there is a newer version.

Have yet to drive it so will be curious what the EV Data will look like in the "My Journeys" section.  But I don't know if that will work because of using CarPlay and the weirdness of Ford's comments about the CarPlay and Ford Pass working at the same time.  I don't really care what the route was just would like to see the data like in MFM.

Again thank you!!!  Now if I can figure out the U2100 error on the PAM module I will be set.

Raiju.jpeg

Great!

You might try deleting and re-adding the PIDs for the TCU in Forscan. I vaguely remember having at least one of them show up blank until I did that. If that doesn't work then I wouldn't worry about it. The proof is in the pudding and given that you've got data showing in FordPass that's all that matters.

Good luck getting EV driving data showing up in "My Journeys". Actually, seems like more Fusion owners are reporting success with getting that to populate, so maybe it will work for you.

As for me, my C-Max has never shown anything in that section of the app no matter what I do (and despite all other data uploading to Ford correctly). Hope it works eventually, because that was one function of MFM I really did look at periodically.

Edited by bookemdano

@bookemdano

So if I’m understanding Ford Pass’ “My Journeys” feature correctly after reading Ford’s documentation, it seems like Ford off loaded the mapping of routes and driving behaviors to people’s cell phones using the phones’ GPS and accelerometer. Hence not being able to use CarPlay at the same time. 

Pre-modem upgrade I did somehow manage to add my car to the app but the only feature was journeys. The one time I did have it enable it traced the route back to my house with warnings at specific places along the way where I accelerated too fast. 

Anyways let see what the next couple days/weeks bring. 

Edited by brass09dad

On 5/20/2022 at 2:42 AM, brass09dad said:

@bookemdano

So if I’m understanding Ford Pass’ “My Journeys” feature correctly after reading Ford’s documentation, it seems like Ford off loaded the mapping of routes and driving behaviors to people’s cell phones using the phones’ GPS and accelerometer. Hence not being able to use CarPlay at the same time. 

Pre-modem upgrade I did somehow manage to add my car to the app but the only feature was journeys. The one time I did have it enable it traced the route back to my house with warnings at specific places along the way where I accelerated too fast. 

Anyways let see what the next couple days/weeks bring. 

That's right--Journey recording in FordPass is done via a BT or USB (depending on if iOS/Android and your version of sync) to your smartphone (incidentally, Ford may be deprecating all of the BT/USB functions of FordPass, at least in some countries. I haven't seen anything official on that yet, but "rumor has it"). 

However, the "EV Driving Data" section that Ford placed in the My Journeys section gets its information from the TCU (the same/similar data also showed in MFM along with charging data in the trip/charge log screen).

I asked about this a month or two ago (can't remember if it was here or on the C-Max forum though) and according to at least one respondent, they did not have any of the BT/USB journeys stuff enabled but were still getting EV trip data for each trip. But I haven't been able to verify this myself, since I have no info showing up in that section at all.

On 5/20/2022 at 1:22 PM, bookemdano said:

That's right--Journey recording in FordPass is done via a BT or USB (depending on if iOS/Android and your version of sync) to your smartphone (incidentally, Ford may be deprecating all of the BT/USB functions of FordPass, at least in some countries. I haven't seen anything official on that yet, but "rumor has it"). 

However, the "EV Driving Data" section that Ford placed in the My Journeys section gets its information from the TCU (the same/similar data also showed in MFM along with charging data in the trip/charge log screen).

I asked about this a month or two ago (can't remember if it was here or on the C-Max forum though) and according to at least one respondent, they did not have any of the BT/USB journeys stuff enabled but were still getting EV trip data for each trip. But I haven't been able to verify this myself, since I have no info showing up in that section at all.

Thumbs up about the EV trip data. Hope it works.  I’ll post what happens. 

i can confirm that the charge log is being populated but doesn’t show the kWs like MFM did. 

On 5/20/2022 at 4:29 PM, brass09dad said:

Thumbs up about the EV trip data. Hope it works.  I’ll post what happens. 

i can confirm that the charge log is being populated but doesn’t show the kWs like MFM did. 

EV trip data didn't show up immediately for me.  It took a couple of days.  You don't need to have location enabled on your phone, have bluetooth enabled, or be connected to USB for EV data.  In fact, you don't even need to have the app on your phone to collect EV data.  You also don't need to disable CarPlay.

On 5/20/2022 at 1:46 PM, Locutus said:

EV trip data didn't show up immediately for me.  It took a couple of days.  You don't need to have location enabled on your phone, have bluetooth enabled, or be connected to USB for EV data.  In fact, you don't even need to have the app on your phone to collect EV data.  You also don't need to disable CarPlay.

Sweet!  I wasn't planning on disabling CarPlay as that was one of the main reasons I upgraded from Sync 2 to Sync 3.  Thanks for the info.

On 5/21/2022 at 3:27 AM, brass09dad said:

So a couple interesting things I discovered today.  

If you have journeys enabled, it will still capture the trip if you have CarPlay enabled.

More interesting, if you plug your phone in at a stop sign, it will end the current journey and start a new one.

Still waiting on the EV data though.

This has been my experience as well.  CarPlay really never has to be turned off.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to my local Ford dealership today who previously spent three hours trying to program the 4G modem unsuccessfully told me initially there was a hold on installations till the end of May and now the latest service notice is that by the middle of June a schedule one installation procedure will be available at that time and to hold off installations until then.

On the plus side I was able to download unzip and copy to a USB drive the installation files for the 3.4 Sync system upgrade 20220606_113818.thumb.jpg.c5fd5e82e490307af2b39ff5d0c181ba.jpgwhich has to be done first before I successfully upgraded the Sync navigation maps version to NA 2 20 by way of free download.

20220606_113840.thumb.jpg.50e0f4696b345cfaeaa0837530f021a5.jpg

I like the ability to choose the eco route out of a choice of three in navigation now. ?

On 6/6/2022 at 1:55 PM, Bernard Lechler said:

Courtesy Ford in London Ontario quoted me a price at over $500.00 CAD for a replacement modem and that the install would be free. It feels like that's a bit steep.

Sadly, that's pretty close to just the price of the part. I'm waiting for Ford to give the green light to start doing installs again so I can have my car done.