Ford Fusion Energi Forum

4G Modem replacement details

j8048188

On 2/2/2022 at 2:55 PM, Locutus said:

The same thing happened to me.  The app today has a notice "Application Decommissioned" warning that the 3G network and app will stop working this month.  I have a 2020 Ford Fusion Energi with only 11,000 miles.  I contacted Ford and was told my VIN is not included in the discounted/free upgrade.  I also contacted a dealer and they want $300 for the part and $400+ for the installation.  I don't understand why I have to pay $700+ to restore features that I already paid for.  I used to own a 2014 Energi.  The same thing happened with that model.  AT&T made changes that caused MFM to no longer work.  When it happened then, there was a free upgrade from Ford to fix the issue.  Why does it cost now?

According to the Ford Media release on March 20, 2018 all 2019 Ford Fusions should come equipped with a 4G Modem therefore we should not have to pay for something that was already supposed to be in our vehicles. Maybe it’s time to start a Class Action Suit.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2018/03/20/sleeker-smarter-2019-ford-fusion.html

82229666-1E0E-4D36-ABB0-1CADD67CBA34.jpeg

On 3/24/2022 at 11:08 AM, KennMSr said:

According to the Ford Media release on March 20, 2018 all 2019 Ford Fusions should come equipped with a 4G Modem therefore we should not have to pay for something that was already supposed to be in our vehicles. Maybe it’s time to start a Class Action Suit.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2018/03/20/sleeker-smarter-2019-ford-fusion.html

82229666-1E0E-4D36-ABB0-1CADD67CBA34.jpeg

I agree it's unfair and a bonehead move by Ford, but they are playing the numbers that not enough Energi owners really care enough.   Best case you can get a free modem replacement 3-4 years from now, and that's if everything falls into place perfectly.  It was a simple risk assessment.  That being said if you complain loud enough and to the right people you could probably get a free swap, but it would be a full time affair.

Interesting change of behavior on the Fordpass iOS app today:  Previously when you would attempt to activate the charge level notification there were many seconds of waiting before it gave up and you had to “discard” your settings attempt.   As of today when you click on “Charge level notification” a “something’s not right, please try again” pops nearly instantly followed by (nearly instantly as well)  it jumping back to the prior screen.  Obviously stuff being changed in the background.   I am fine with waiting on anything beyond what have achieved together so far in that I have value charge back (via Sync) and I can remotely see charge status (the key 4G win).   Just hope we don’t experience any regressions in functionality as they work all of this out.   If/when the addition of app management of VC arrives may plan is to call this a full success.

I just received the upgrade two weeks ago.  For me, it was working fine until yesterday.  Then suddenly it asked to activate my car again even though the SDK website still showed the vehicle activated.  When I tried to active, I received the same "something's not right message."  I had two remove the vehicle, re-add and re-active.  Unfortunately, after doing so, all of the Energi specific features, such as battery level and departure times, are now gone.

The quote button is not working on this forum so this is following up on the regression “Locutus” has shared . . ..

In systems management change control this is called the “law of unintended consequences” as a result of inadequate testing and is a very bad sign regarding inadequate testing.   Hopefully the dev team will quickly rollback/remediate or else it is going to be a frustrating Spring for all of us on this adventure.

Sidebar: early this morning at exactly 02:00 my home Internet connection failed . . .it took them about 20 minutes to undo whatever “oops” they were trying to sneak in while the customers were sleeping ?

On 3/24/2022 at 5:48 PM, jtex said:

Interesting change of behavior on the Fordpass iOS app today:  Previously when you would attempt to activate the charge level notification there were many seconds of waiting before it gave up and you had to “discard” your settings attempt.   As of today when you click on “Charge level notification” a “something’s not right, please try again” pops nearly instantly followed by (nearly instantly as well)  it jumping back to the prior screen.  Obviously stuff being changed in the background.   I am fine with waiting on anything beyond what have achieved together so far in that I have value charge back (via Sync) and I can remotely see charge status (the key 4G win).   Just hope we don’t experience any regressions in functionality as they work all of this out.   If/when the addition of app management of VC arrives may plan is to call this a full success.

As of today the Fordpass app on iOS has gone back to its multiple minute “loading” spinning wheel if one attempts to turn on/save charge notifications via the app.  After the long time has passed it says at the top “something has gone wrong. Please try again”. When you try again to save the same things happens.

Whatever the case . . . current accurate charge state remains shown in the app (a great thing!), but notifications are yet to come.

On 3/19/2022 at 6:32 PM, jtex said:

So I have given up for today (last time quit at 72%)  and the 3G modem is back in with its via Sync value charge intact.   I can now do that interior panel thing like an Indy pit stop ?

Hah!  There's lots of interesting info here, thanks everyone for the info... jtex, you're able to change the value charge settings with the 3G modem in the vehicle?  Is there a short path to get there with just a firmware upgrade???

I was planning to go to the dealer under CSP 21B09 and pay for the modem, but the thing that's most valuable to me is the ability to set Go times to warm-up the vehicle and thus save gas in the winter. I could mostly care less about lock/unlock/remote start.  (remote start doesn't really work when the vehicle is plugged in, anyway, right?)

Really annoying that changing Go times is all grayed out in the vehicle interface because the modem can't talk... has anyone actually gotten the dealer upgrade and seen FordPass succeed in viewing/change Go time and temperature settings?  If that doesn't work, I'm not sure it is worth the $300 for the TCU... ESPECIALLY if someone has a decent path to get the Go Times settings on the SYNC HMI running on the vehicle APIM to work again without messing with a new 4G TCU.

On 3/24/2022 at 6:51 PM, Locutus said:

I just received the upgrade two weeks ago.  For me, it was working fine until yesterday.  Then suddenly it asked to activate my car again even though the SDK website still showed the vehicle activated.  When I tried to active, I received the same "something's not right message."  I had two remove the vehicle, re-add and re-active.  Unfortunately, after doing so, all of the Energi specific features, such as battery level and departure times, are now gone.

That's worrying...  did it start working again?  Can you change Go time and temperature through FordPass?

On 3/26/2022 at 4:40 PM, Chad said:

Hah!  There's lots of interesting info here, thanks everyone for the info... jtex, you're able to change the value charge settings with the 3G modem in the vehicle?  Is there a short path to get there with just a firmware upgrade???

I was planning to go to the dealer under CSP 21B09 and pay for the modem, but the thing that's most valuable to me is the ability to set Go times to warm-up the vehicle and thus save gas in the winter. I could mostly care less about lock/unlock/remote start.  (remote start doesn't really work when the vehicle is plugged in, anyway, right?)

Really annoying that changing Go times is all grayed out in the vehicle interface because the modem can't talk... has anyone actually gotten the dealer upgrade and seen FordPass succeed in viewing/change Go time and temperature settings?  If that doesn't work, I'm not sure it is worth the $300 for the TCU... ESPECIALLY if someone has a decent path to get the Go Times settings on the SYNC HMI running on the vehicle APIM to work again without messing with a new 4G TCU.

With the “legacy” 3G modem in the vehicle  . . .even after MFM was “decommissioned” . . .I was able to adjust VC using Sync within the vehicle including toggle VC on and off.   On my end remote start off and lock/unlock is of little use even during the MFM 3G days given the key fob does that.  

Via the wonderful help from the great folks on this forum with my DIY “H” TCU 4G install (“UM” update) FordPass is almost there for me in that I have:

- VC control via Sync works (taking out the offline 3G modem had disabled that as did my prior non “H” TCU attempts)

- via FordPass I can see charge level remotely so I now know when the car is fully charged without going to the car in the garage

- while of little need I do have via the Fordpass app car’s location, lock/unlock, start, oil life, it appears I would getting some kind of warning if tire pressure was low.  Fordpass also allows you to make dealer appointments and has a few other online basic conveniences.

The one important (at least to me) feature I am waiting for is the ability to toggle VC via the app as in my use case most of the time is: I come home and plug the car in for VC to happen overnight, BUT if after coming home there is discussion of going out shopping or to dinner than it would be ideal to be able to do what I was able to do previously with MFM: remotely toggle with the app from VC to “charge now.”

I have not heard of anyone with either the dealer installed 4G update nor the DIY have this VC app toggle working (I suspect with that feature fix will also come push notification for charge completion and setting of go times) so hopefully we are not far from all that being enabled on the back end by Ford.   One of the forum members shared that Ford said improvements were coming in Summer . . .hopefully that is early summer.

On 3/18/2022 at 6:28 PM, jtex said:

I can confirm with certainty that my 2020 FFE (Titanium with the top package) was built with only the 3G modem.   The only wifi aspect of the car is that in can be a wifi client (in one’s garage for example) of your home’s wifi for Sync.   The car itself has no wifi hotspot functionality at all.   The 3G modem (until Feb 22) strictly served for MyFordMobile connectivity.   This weekend I hope to be installing my just acquired “H” TCU, following all the instructions shared, and after the wait period being able to remotely control the charge profile setting as that is my only reason to have the car “connected.”

Odd sidebar. . .In 2015 I had purchased a top optioned Fusion Hybrid Titanium (regular Hybrid, not Energi).   IMHO it was trimmed out nearly as nicely as a Lincoln.  Other than Ford’s silly sheet metal converted wheel nuts (which I replaced in the first year) it was a great car.   When I heard the Fusion was being canceled I went to the same dealer to trade in that 2015 for a new 2020 Fusion TItanium Energi with the top packages as well.  For the “around town” benefits of the FFE’s battery vs just the hybrid it seemed right, but as some may already know the 2020 FFE Titaniums even with top packages (2019 too?) were drastically “de-contented” so missing were: under-hood sound insulator, under-hood side water seals, rear floor mats, secondary seals on all doors, double compartment center arm rest, 120 volt outlet, and cheaper interior door handle trim.   Even the sales rep was embarrassed when he saw the differences.   After 2 months, about $1000,  lots of time with the parts guys, and a couple of eBay buys I was able to bring the 2020 car to the 2015 trim level.   Yes, I also replaced 2020’s wheel nuts. 

I'd be really interested in links to what you bought on ebay to upgrade your 2020. I upgraded to a 2020 from a 2013 Hybrid Titanium. One major change was the the back doors on the 2013 also had the ability to lock/unlock from the handle.

On 3/26/2022 at 5:40 PM, Chad said:

Go Times (which are now called Departure TImes) worked on my 2020 FFE for two weeks after receiving the upgrade.  The option suddenly disappeared a couple of days ago.  I also lost EV data and battery level.  Interesting though, I still get charge complete alerts.  However, can no longer set them.

On 3/26/2022 at 7:27 PM, wjlevin said:

I'd be really interested in links to what you bought on ebay to upgrade your 2020. I upgraded to a 2020 from a 2013 Hybrid Titanium. One major change was the the back doors on the 2013 also had the ability to lock/unlock from the handle.

Many parts I acquired to “re-content” my 2020 Titanium FFE were from the Ford Parts web site with a key search criteria being to find them using 2017 as the car year since they would not show up when looking at 2020.  From there using the zoom function on diagrams provided on the Ford Parts side  for the 2017 helped a great deal.   Some examples: hood insulator pad (clips included), seal strips for each side under the hood, secondary seals for both front and rear doors.  The under hood stuff was a few minutes install since all of the anchor holes were there, but the secondary door seals install was very time consuming as I did not want to drill for the pop in anchors supplied with the strips so used some great all weather outdoor double-stick tape from 3M (still holding perfectly after nearly 2 years). BTW the under hood stuff and door seals made a big difference bringing the car to “luxury car” low sound level like my 2015 Fusion Hybrid Titanium had.   

On eBay I found the exact color console arm rest with the integrated second tray.   The wrecking yard guy took extra pictures for me to assure that it was in perfect shape and it was.  Also on eBay I purchased the real chrome steel solid lug nuts (you have to be very careful to get the exact type) since like 3 other Fords I have had the OEM composite lug nuts swell/distort after about the 3rd tire rotation.

I found Fusion specific Ford OEM rear floor mats on Amazon.

For the DIY 4G upgrade project I found the “H” TCU on eBay as well.

Like your observation regarding the handle locking the rear doors, the de-contenting list is sadly quite long for 2020 (heard 2019 was also impacted) and even includes such ridiculous penny pinching like the back of ONE of the front seats no longer having a map pocket.

Other re-contenting projects  I am looking at now are:

1) adding back the console inverter required to put back in the the deleted console AC outlet.   I am trying to figure out if the existing wiring harness will support it.

2) figuring out how to turn off the very obnoxious white noise generator.  My 2015 had real active noise canceling that used phase inversion versus a blanket of hiss as in my 2020 FFE.

3) finding on eBay an in perfect shape glove box assembly that includes both door lock and inside light.

Annoying items I have reluctantly decided to just live with include the far lower grade seat leather, painted wheels (versus polished on my 2015), and cheap toy quality plastic on the interior arm rests. 

On the bright side of things given current fuel prices: for my combined driving cycles I am averaging anywhere from 65-110 mpg with the FFE ?

Edited by jtex

BIG progress delivered via the latest release of FordPass for iOS today (v4.13.0):

- banner now appears at bottom in either Home or Vehicle screen that summaries results of most recent charge.  It has a details button, but so far clicking on that presents a momentary “Fordpass is unavailable” at the top of the modal with only the estimated distance being available in that modal.

- in Vehicle/Driving data even if you don’t have journeys turned on you do see an active link that takes you to a working driving monthly summary and

- under EV data more detail on recent drives

On the Vehicles screen the charge settings button no longer gives a red error but the setting routine for preferred charge times (I suspect this is what was called “value charge” in MFM) doesn’t do anything because the “locations” still does not work.

Charge level notification still has the error after the long progress error.

So awesome progress for the Fordpass development team.   It seems we are very close to getting back control via the Fordpass of what was called in MFM Value Charge (and still is called that in Sync)

On 3/28/2022 at 4:32 PM, jtex said:

BIG progress delivered via the latest release of FordPass for iOS today (v4.13.0):

- banner now appears at bottom in either Home or Vehicle screen that summaries results of most recent charge.  It has a details button, but so far clicking on that presents a momentary “Fordpass is unavailable” at the top of the modal with only the estimated distance being available in that modal.

- in Vehicle/Driving data even if you don’t have journeys turned on you do see an active link that takes you to a working driving monthly summary and

- under EV data more detail on recent drives

On the Vehicles screen the charge settings button no longer gives a red error but the setting routine for preferred charge times (I suspect this is what was called “value charge” in MFM) doesn’t do anything because the “locations” still does not work.

Charge level notification still has the error after the long progress error.

So awesome progress for the Fordpass development team.   It seems we are very close to getting back control via the Fordpass of what was called in MFM Value Charge (and still is called that in Sync)

Strange, I could do all of this since at least version 4.11.0.  However, I lost all of this last Wednesday.  I am currently running 4.13.0.

On 3/28/2022 at 4:06 PM, Locutus said:

Strange, I could do all of this since at least version 4.11.0.  However, I lost all of this last Wednesday.  I am currently running 4.13.0.

With today’s iOS update before installing i deleted the app from my iPhone, restarted the iPhone and then loaded in the latest version . . .perhaps that made a difference, but from my experience lots of improvement whatever the case.

On 3/28/2022 at 5:14 PM, jtex said:

With today’s iOS update before installing i deleted the app from my iPhone, restarted the iPhone and then loaded in the latest version . . .perhaps that made a difference, but from my experience lots of improvement whatever the case.

I did the same.  I am happy to see things being worked on.  But like I said, I lost functionality since last Wednesday.  I misspoke earlier.  The new update did return a function that I lost last week.  The Departure Times function has returned and is now under the Charge Settings section.  Previously, it was  under the Scheduled Start section.  I completely lost that function last Wednesday and it has returned today.  Last Wednesday, I also lost battery level with distance,  battery charging details and EV driving data.  These functions did not return for me in today's update.  I had them previously at least as far back as version 4.11.0.

Edited by Locutus

Hello, I need a copy of the settings that are installedHello, I have a request, can anyone check with Forscan what software you have in TCU after updating on the Ford website from 3g to 4g?
You need to connect the car to the computer, scan (1) Then switch to the Configuration tab (2) and read the configuration of the TCU module (3) I'm interested in calibration and strategy. If you could take a picture like I did and send it to me please. in the TCU in the US as part of the TCU 3G replacement service for 4G in Ford Fusion Energi.

Bez tytułu.jpg

On 3/29/2022 at 2:55 AM, FusionManiac said:

Hello, I need a copy of the settings that are installedHello, I have a request, can anyone check with Forscan what software you have in TCU after updating on the Ford website from 3g to 4g?
You need to connect the car to the computer, scan (1) Then switch to the Configuration tab (2) and read the configuration of the TCU module (3) I'm interested in calibration and strategy. If you could take a picture like I did and send it to me please. in the TCU in the US as part of the TCU 3G replacement service for 4G in Ford Fusion Energi.

Bez tytułu.jpg

I will likely not be able to get to pull the exact information until much later today (US time) or tomorrow, but from everything learned on this forum (and the CMAX sister forum) what Ford dealers are installing (and I also purchased used that worked) in the 3G to 4G upgrades are TCUs that have part numbers beginning with “H” (so just have the one LTE antenna connection . . . Not also with the hotspot antenna connection).  I was unsuccessful trying it with a “K” TCU.   Additionally with such a “H” TCU the working calibration and strategy as installed by Ford dealers and successful DIYs on this forum ends in “UM.”   Perhaps other variants with later model TCUs, calibrations, etc. could be made to work, but I have yet to pick up both the “how to” and successful project results..

Edited by jtex

On 3/29/2022 at 5:13 AM, FusionManiac said:

So I'm waiting for someone who works tcu to post their strategy here, because they had their Ford service exchanged.

Bez tytułu.jpg

Info on my “H” TCU that works going from 3G - -> 4G is shown below (like everyone else waiting for a few functions to show up, but if generally works in my FFE)

3EDD67C3-AD95-4D74-830B-393C12FD7491.png

Edited by jtex

On 3/17/2022 at 12:59 AM, MyFordSqueak said:

Build date of December 2012 on mine ?

After a LOT of convincing I got my local dealership to charge me to install it. It went in and was programmed without an issue. After I picked up the car I used the connected card SDK website to authorize the car and it was good to go: https://connectedcar-sdk.com/dashboard

It even kept my old vehicle name from MyFordMobile automatically, I didn't have to reset that part. The app works fine, including lock and unlock and remote start.

I'm so glad to hear this. My dealership has no problem with upgrading it for me, I just didn't want to waste the money if it wouldn't work. I have a leaking rear shock that I'm getting replaced as well. I start a new job next week though so, I'll schedule it sometime later in April for both.