Ford Fusion Energi Forum

4G Modem replacement details

j8048188

On 3/19/2022 at 2:32 PM, jtex said:

Update on progress with my “H” install on my 2020 FFE:

1) connected the HL3T-14G229-AP and saw modem ID in SYNC. Also in Forscan the TCU indicated “ready to activate” ?

2) began flashing process to take it to “-UM” (which I understand is required for the PHEV functions) but on repeated attempts (at least 5) anywhere from 10% to 34% load progress (getting about 1%/min upload speed) Forscan would report “operation failed” ?

3) tried  “-UJ” (most recent prior package Forscan would download) and it failed at 36% ?

Given I was successful previously using my setup on a 2hr update on the “K” TCU I was trying previously I don’t think it is my setup.

Going to try a few more “-UM” attempts and then will put the 3G modem back in and give up on 4G for my FFE.  At least I will have control via Sync of value charge.

Yikes! What OBD2 adapter are you using? The fact that it's failing at different points in the flashing seems to indicate it's some sort of transient error. I've had good results with the OBDLink EX, but I know there are a couple of other recommended wired adapters too.

The car is on a 6amp charger, right? Ideally you should have a volt meter connected so you can keep a close eye on voltage. My charger is capable of 2, 4 or 6 amps and I initially had it on the 4 amp setting but the battery voltage was still dropping. The 6 amp setting keeps the battery charged.

Reboot the laptop for sure, and make sure there aren't other background processes going on, like Windows Updates, other running apps, etc. 

Also, maybe reinstall Forscan and redownload the strategy files to make sure you don't have a corrupted file.

Good luck!

Edit: Which strategy was on it when you got it?

Edited by bookemdano

On 3/19/2022 at 2:39 PM, bookemdano said:

Yikes! What OBD2 adapter are you using? The fact that it's failing at different points in the flashing seems to indicate it's some sort of transient error. I've had good results with the OBDLink EX, but I know there are a couple of other recommended wired adapters too.

The car is on a 6amp charger, right? Ideally you should have a volt meter connected so you can keep a close eye on voltage. My charger is capable of 2, 4 or 6 amps and I initially had it on the 4 amp setting but the battery voltage was still dropping. The 6 amp setting keeps the battery charged.

Reboot the laptop for sure, and make sure there aren't other background processes going on, like Windows Updates, other running apps, etc. 

Also, maybe reinstall Forscan and redownload the strategy files to make sure you don't have a corrupted file.

Good luck!

Much thanks for the fast and detailed response… 

Yes, have it on a charger.  Using the same laptop setup as used successfully for more a much longer load onto the “K” series: latest Forscan beta with OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth which so far has been quite fast and very stable.

”UM” next attempt in progress… just passed a new high of 45%  please keep the good vibes coming 

Edited by jtex

On 3/19/2022 at 3:57 PM, jtex said:

Much thanks for the fast and detailed response… 

Yes, have it on a charger.  Using the same laptop setup as used successfully for more a much longer load onto the “K” series: latest Forscan beta with OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth which so far has been quite fast and very stable.

”UM” next attempt in progress… just passed a new high of 45%  please keep the good vibes coming 

I'd try to move to a wired adapter like the EX if this pass doesn't work. Wireless adapters like the MX and cheap ELM dongles are usually highly advised against from the ForScan devs for module flashing. Very likely you could be having some connectivity issues cropping up even if it had been working fine before.

Edited by cr08

On 3/19/2022 at 3:06 PM, cr08 said:

I'd try to move to a wired adapter like the EX. Wireless adapters like the MX and cheap ELM dongles are usually highly advised against from the ForScan devs for module flashing. Very likely you could be having some connectivity issues cropping up even if it had been working fine before.

When I read all the USB 2 vs 3 challenges folks were having with wired types on more modern laptops I decided the well reviewed Bluetooth model was worth a try.

Just passed 53% on “UM”…. I think the good vibes you folks are sending is working ?

On 3/19/2022 at 3:06 PM, cr08 said:

I'd try to move to a wired adapter like the EX if this pass doesn't work. Wireless adapters like the MX and cheap ELM dongles are usually highly advised against from the ForScan devs for module flashing. Very likely you could be having some connectivity issues cropping up even if it had been working fine before.

?What he said. The Forscan devs are really adamant that only specific WIRED adapters should ever be used for flashing firmware. 

Sending you all the good luck I got! Hope you can get it flashed on this go around, but if not, pick up an OBDLink EX and you'll likely have no issues. ?

On 3/19/2022 at 3:15 PM, bookemdano said:

?What he said. The Forscan devs are really adamant that only specific WIRED adapters should ever be used for flashing firmware. 

Sending you all the good luck I got! Hope you can get it flashed on this go around, but if not, pick up an OBDLink EX and you'll likely have no issues. ?

Understood on the wired… will be my next step (as well as borrowing an older laptop) if today’s attempts are unsuccessful.

I really appreciate the candid input.  You folks provide far better support than from the two local dealers ?

On 3/19/2022 at 4:37 PM, jtex said:

Understood on the wired… will be my next step (as well as borrowing an older laptop) if today’s attempts are unsuccessful.

I really appreciate the candid input.  You folks provide far better support than from the two local dealers ?

This is like waiting for a baby to be born or something, everyone sitting around wondering what is going to happen.

In theory could we just buy the DS7Z-14G229-A ford part and put it in with a little Forscan 754-xx-xx adjustments or is there further programming we would need?   That part number seems to be associated with some replacements people are getting with the dealer service.

On 3/19/2022 at 4:11 PM, Cactusmatt said:

This is like waiting for a baby to be born or something, everyone sitting around wondering what is going to happen.

In theory could we just buy the DS7Z-14G229-A ford part and put it in with a little Forscan 754-xx-xx adjustments or is there further programming we would need?   That part number seems to be associated with some replacements people are getting with the dealer service.

That is tempting if one assumes that part (for $280 -$310) arrives already with the “UM” firmware.   Based on the procedure shared from Ford it sounds like the dealer does do a configuration/flash which would account for a <20 physical install taking 3 or more hours.  I suspect the dealer does the “UM” thing so IMHO if I want 4G I need to be able to get a successful UM flash on an H via Forscan.

So I have given up for today (last time quit at 72%)  and the 3G modem is back in with its via Sync value charge intact.   I can now do that interior panel thing like an Indy pit stop ?

I am ordering the recommended cable and also a 2.0 USB hub which I understands fixes the compatibility issue with the cable and 3.0 USB laptops.

TIme for a beer!

Thanks all for your support and I will jump back in once the stuff arrives.

On 3/19/2022 at 6:32 PM, jtex said:

That is tempting if one assumes that part (for $280 -$310) arrives already with the “UM” firmware.   Based on the procedure shared from Ford it sounds like the dealer does do a configuration/flash which would account for a <20 physical install taking 3 or more hours.  I suspect the dealer does the “UM” thing so IMHO if I want 4G I need to be able to get a successful UM flash on an H via Forscan.

So I have given up for today (last time quit at 72%)  and the 3G modem is back in with its via Sync value charge intact.   I can now do that interior panel thing like an Indy pit stop ?

I am ordering the recommended cable and also a 2.0 USB hub which I understands fixes the compatibility issue with the cable and 3.0 USB laptops.

TIme for a beer!

Thanks all for your support and I will jump back in once the stuff arrives.

Since I have a HJ5T-14G087-UF I could just pay the dealer to put the -UM file on it for $165.  I can't upgrade my Forscan to even try what you are doing, so I may end up doing that.   I was lucky enough to find a dealer who was actually curious about the situation and quoted me that price, but of course no promise it's going to work.

On 3/19/2022 at 6:15 PM, Cactusmatt said:

Since I have a HJ5T-14G087-UF I could just pay the dealer to put the -UM file on it for $165.  I can't upgrade my Forscan to even try what you are doing, so I may end up doing that.   I was lucky enough to find a dealer who was actually curious about the situation and quoted me that price, but of course no promise it's going to work.

Wait, why can't you upgrade your Forscan? Edit: Do you mean you can't buy an extended license due to the sanctions on Russia? You actually don't need to pay for a license at all. They'll give you a free two month trial license of the extended features. You just need to request one via their website. And then you need the latest beta version that is posted in their forums.

Not to dissuade you if you just don't want to do it yourself. But as long as you take the necessary precautions it's really a pretty easy process. I (and I'm sure others) would be happy to help you do it yourself if you want.

Edited by bookemdano

On 3/19/2022 at 8:10 PM, bookemdano said:

Wait, why can't you upgrade your Forscan? Edit: Do you mean you can't buy an extended license due to the sanctions on Russia? You actually don't need to pay for a license at all. They'll give you a free two month trial license of the extended features. You just need to request one via their website. And then you need the latest beta version that is posted in their forums.

Not to dissuade you if you just don't want to do it yourself. But as long as you take the necessary precautions it's really a pretty easy process. I (and I'm sure others) would be happy to help you do it yourself if you want.

Wow, I really didn't know that, but now that I downloaded it and set it up I can indeed see that I have the option to load -UM.  Thanks!  I guess I know what I'm going to be doing tomorrow then after I get the battery charger on it, as well as wired internet.   I hope to break the record of 72% for the weekend guinea pigs.

Firmware UPDATE:

Instead of sleeping I decided to give updating the firmware a shot.   Everything updated to -UM in about 1 hour and 45 minutes.   Went smooth with no errors.   I'm not expecting much 20 minutes after but what I have noticed so far is Fordpass is updating MUCH faster now when I refresh.   I am finally able to set departure times successfully.  After I set them in the app I went out to the car and they were there under GO times.  I still get the error about not being able to start the car as it starts it just fine.    Another baby step in the right direction..

Success!  

1) purchased the recommended cable and USB 2.0 hub (thanks again to those that pushed back on trying it with Bluetooth!)

2) Flashed the “UM” update in 53 minutes  . . No errors

3) did the Forscan reset on both the TCU and the APIM

4) checked for the correct configs. . . All good

5) Did the SYNC reset

6) Modem shows up in SYNC

7) Value charge toggle all good in SYNC

8 ) Via the Connected Car app I did the “register” thing and instantly the accept popped up on the SYNC screen. 

9) Deleted FordPass from iPhone and loaded it again

10 ) Logged into app and can lock and unlock car from top level FordPass app screen . . .it works nearly instantly even in my garage

11) on next screen after clicking on the car image it shows my exact location, total range, battery charge level, and gas tank level along with a green check mark for no alerts

12) under status both tire pressure (not showing actual pressure, but that all is OK and Oil life (18%) are working fine

13) if I click on charge settings I get an orange alert with “Please update in-vehicle settings to enable connectivity” but when I follow the instructions there is no such “FordPass Connect” icon in SYNC or the other icon they mention may be there (there is the regular USB basic FordPass in apps, but not “FordPass Connect”.   The rest of the settings on that page do not work.

14) Charge level notification shows the charge level, but times out when I indicate I want notification

15) No value charge toggle anywhere so far in the app.

For those that have been through this is #13-#15 what I need to wait for or is there perhaps a APIM setting that needs to be changed?   

I am getting that one TCU code since I am using the “Amazon” antenna, but I will wait a bit before I decide if I want to get the official Ford antenna.  

No other codes.

Thanks again to all that have contributed their hard earned wisdom!

Yet another update:

After talking to a gentleman on the cyanlabs forums I was able to get the 754-02-01 setting from a 2020 Fusion owner who had the upgrade done at the dealer and everything works.   Turned out his setting is 1EA0 and mine was (after reading on here) was 00A0.

I made that change and did a master reset of Sync and now I have ALL the options under Charging as well as the Details of the current charge, finally.   Only thing I can't do yet is have a charge level notification, and the charge log looks like it works.  Still get an error when remote starting, but the last 24 hours have really brought it to 95% of what I hoped. I also have Oil Life listed now as well for the first time.  Hell of a journey so far.

Edited by Cactusmatt

On 3/20/2022 at 5:03 PM, Cactusmatt said:

Yet another update:

After talking to a gentleman on the cyanlabs forums I was able to get the 754-02-01 setting from a 2020 Fusion owner who had the upgrade done at the dealer and everything works.   Turned out his setting is 1EA0 and mine was (after reading on here) was 00A0.

I made that change and did a master reset of Sync and now I have ALL the options under Charging as well as the Details of the current charge, finally.   Only thing I can't do yet is have a charge level notification, and the charge log looks like it works.  Still get an error when remote starting, but the last 24 hours have really brought it to 95% of what I hoped. I also have Oil Life listed now as well for the first time.  Hell of a journey so far.

I will try the “1EA0” later this evening or in the early morning and let you folks know how it went.

On 3/20/2022 at 5:15 PM, jtex said:

I will try the “1EA0” later this evening or in the early morning and let you folks know how it went.

OK . . .wrote 1EA0 into 754-02-01, did resets for both TCU and APIM, did a full SYNC reset, and used the connected car SDK to re-activate the vehicle in FordPass.

Based on a quick review of what the difference is in the Cyan Labs listing the “1E” change does make sense.

No change in functionality so far from my prior entry.  Remote lock and unlock still working great.   Perhaps in the morning there will be additional data.

So still wondering about from my prior entry: “For those that have been through this is #13-#15 (from prior entry listing of steps)what I need to wait for or is there perhaps a APIM setting that needs to be changed?   

I have value charge set (via SYNC) to do an overnight charge so it will be interesting to see what FordPass reports on that in the morning.

Edited by jtex

This morning the FordPass app indicates the vehicle was fully charged overnight so the ValueCharge setting I made in SYNC worked, however, even though I had notifications turned on (in the account portion of the app) I received no notifications.

I reviewed this morning Cyan Labs APIM database and next I will try (one at a time) making the following changes:

1) 7DO-08-01 first segment from 0022 to 0023 as the “3” enables “Customer Connectivity Settings” and perhaps that is what is causing the inability to find a setting in SYNC to “enable connectivity”

then I may also try

2) 7D0-03-01  first segment from 0003 to 0000 as the “3” in their database is for Hybrid and changing it may move it to PHEV, but I am not sure because of the way that segment legend is described.   See image:

image.jpeg

On 3/21/2022 at 7:25 AM, jtex said:

This morning the FordPass app indicates the vehicle was fully charged overnight so the ValueCharge setting I made in SYNC worked, however, even though I had notifications turned on (in the account portion of the app) I received no notifications.

I reviewed this morning Cyan Labs APIM database and next I will try (one at a time) making the following changes:

1) 7DO-08-01 first segment from 0022 to 0023 as the “3” enables “Customer Connectivity Settings” and perhaps that is what is causing the inability to find a setting in SYNC to “enable connectivity”

then I may also try

2) 7D0-03-01  first segment from 0003 to 0000 as the “3” in their database is for Hybrid and changing it may move it to PHEV, but I am not sure because of the way that segment legend is described.   See image:

image.jpeg

Definitely let us know how changing (1) works out for you. I know my C-Max I have an old G series APIM with a low enough calibration level that it doesn't have these higher AsBuilt blocks. And seems hit or miss if these are capable of reliably being updated or if a newer APIM needs to be purchased.

For (2) I know the APIM in my C-Max (Energi) is set to 01 in this spot, so 03 is probably applicable for you here. I'm not sure exactly what this particular spot changes functionally. There's like 3 or 4 different AsBuilt bits that pertain to indicating the vehicle is a hybrid/PHEV.

On 3/21/2022 at 7:24 AM, cr08 said:

Definitely let us know how changing (1) works out for you. I know my C-Max I have an old G series APIM with a low enough calibration level that it doesn't have these higher AsBuilt blocks. And seems hit or miss if these are capable of reliably being updated or if a newer APIM needs to be purchased.

For (2) I know the APIM in my C-Max (Energi) is set to 01 in this spot, so 03 is probably applicable for you here. I'm not sure exactly what this particular spot changes functionally. There's like 3 or 4 different AsBuilt bits that pertain to indicating the vehicle is a hybrid/PHEV.

I can confirm that updating the APIM in 7D0-08-01 first segment from 0022 to 0023 had a desirable effect in that now in SYNC settings there is a “FordPass Connect” (in addition to regular “Fordpass” as an app).  When one clicks on Fordpass Connect you get a menu with a “>” and when one clicks on that you get the spinning progress window for a couple of minutes, then a blank modal with a cancel button.   When I made this setting change I did “reset” the APIM in Forscan, did a SYNC reset, and re-authorized the car successfully via the Connected Car SDK.   So progress, but not quite there.   Wondering if now it takes Ford some time to recognize or perhaps I should have also done a reset via Forscan on the TCU?

EDIT: I may also move the car into a stronger 4G signal area and try the “Fordpass Connect” button again to see if that has any impact on the timeout that now happens.

Based on your input I will leave 7D0-03-01 first segment as 0003 for now.

One more edit for this post . .. as the days go by I will probably look into if the APIM needs a firmware update.  Since the “H” TCU flash to UM only takes 54 minutes perhaps flashing of the APIM could account for the other two hours folks are mentioning when done at the dealer??

Edited by jtex

I moved the car into a strong signal area, but when clicking on my new “Fordpass Connect” button in Sync I still get the menu arrow and when I drill down on that it times out after a few minutes of progress wheel spinning.   Additionally the help icon next to the arrow provides none of the typical information.   So I am thinking that while my recent config change was correct to add the “connectivity” flag in the APIM config  there is nothing in my existing APIM’s firmware version for that setting’s selection to do anything with.

So now wondering if while we all seem to have figured out the H TCU thing and have that working that to complete this project (as Ford dealers may do) an APIM firmware update is required . . . So:

1) do others think I need to update the APIM’s firmware, or did just waiting a few days fix this issue?

2) If the APIM firmware update is required have others been successful doing so?   Bricking the TCU is ugly, but the APIM would be a major issue.

3) below is my APIM summary and config . . .while Forscan beta eval was able to use the -“UM” files for the TCU that someone shared how to download from Ford  it will not download the APIM update files so somehow I need to get the required APIM files from Ford.  Anyone know of a way I can do that or could PM me those files if they have another access path?

image.png.6a8da0e163d3f44d1149e1ed460cc10f.png

image.thumb.png.14528ebd3bb73523872f3b2e361ea887.png

Edited by jtex

I don't think you need to flash your APIM, nor do I think it's advisable to do so.

Over at the C-Max forums, I recently asked a guy who'd had the official upgrade done if he could post his APIM versions and as-built, just to see if Ford had made any changes to that as part of the TCU swap. His versions were exactly the same as mine and so was the as-built, with the sole exception of mine having the setting for parking assist and his not (presumably since his C-Max isn't equipped with that feature). Otherwise they were identical.

I think you've got everything set correctly on your end. Since you've only had the TCU connected/firmware updated for a few days, I think you should stand pat for a week or so. My experience (and that of lots of others) is that functionality in FordPass seems to come in gradually over time. Probably you'll just wake up one morning and find it working.

On 3/21/2022 at 1:11 PM, bookemdano said:

I don't think you need to flash your APIM, nor do I think it's advisable to do so.

Over at the C-Max forums, I recently asked a guy who'd had the official upgrade done if he could post his APIM versions and as-built, just to see if Ford had made any changes to that as part of the TCU swap. His versions were exactly the same as mine and so was the as-built, with the sole exception of mine having the setting for parking assist and his not (presumably since his C-Max isn't equipped with that feature). Otherwise they were identical.

I think you've got everything set correctly on your end. Since you've only had the TCU connected/firmware updated for a few days, I think you should stand pat for a week or so. My experience (and that of lots of others) is that functionality in FordPass seems to come in gradually over time. Probably you'll just wake up one morning and find it working.

Thank you . . . I far prefer the optimistic waiting path over the stresses and possible downsides of firmware flashing my APIM ?

I know the all the basic TCU communications are now good since the “UM” update to my H as the FordPass app on iOS does show my fuel tank level, battery level, odometer, and does lock and unlock just fine.   

Fingers crossed. . . .I will let you folks know if and when good news arrives.

Thanks again!

Today I struggled with the replacement of tcu from 2017 to 2020 in fusion energy 2017. It's a big deal, I have the tcu part number LV4T-14G229-DP, and it detects it in the system as LB5T-14G087-XH.

First thing is after replacing the GWM with the newer one from 2020, most of the modules have disappeared from the car, it does not detect them.

Second thing, Apim doesn't detect TCu, can't see serial tcu number.

275780968_3175169202731204_1901964235373824482_n.jpg

275715102_2982160745273776_1970836165036422038_n.jpg

275340426_1283904445436729_1379347960231472136_n.jpg

On 3/22/2022 at 12:44 AM, FusionManiac said:

Today I struggled with the replacement of tcu from 2017 to 2020 in fusion energy 2017. It's a big deal, I have the tcu part number LV4T-14G229-DP, and it detects it in the system as LB5T-14G087-XH.

First thing is after replacing the GWM with the newer one from 2020, most of the modules have disappeared from the car, it does not detect them.

Second thing, Apim doesn't detect TCu, can't see serial tcu number.

275780968_3175169202731204_1901964235373824482_n.jpg

275715102_2982160745273776_1970836165036422038_n.jpg

275340426_1283904445436729_1379347960231472136_n.jpg

Perhaps you already thought of this and tried it, but do the other modules return if you swap back in the original GWM?  

When I was attempting to use a “K” TCU I had all sorts of odd things happening and by putting back in the original 3G TCU and seeing all going back to normal it pinpointed the issue was the “K” TCU which motivated me to find a “H” TCU.  

Once updated with the “UM” update that “H” TCU is working great with lock/unlock, mileage, fuel level, charge level, and even oil life, but. . .. of course . . .I am now in the approximate 5 day wait period for charge control features to appear.

Edited by jtex