Ford Fusion Energi Forum

4G Modem replacement details

j8048188

Ok after I got the modem upgrade to 4G I have finally been successful in getting Apple car Play working on my 2017 Ford Energi. To do this the software had to be upgraded which was challenging. Wifi didn't work as the signal in our garage was weak. I downloaded it from the Ford website onto a flash drive which had to have a high capacity. It didn't initially work but my son in law who has superior computer literacy skills to me adjusted the order of the files and got it working. I also had to pay for Apple Car Play Ford Connect which is an annual fee. Now between Ford Pass and Apple Car Play I am back almost to what I had before with My Ford Mobile and 3G. There aren't any comparative statistics but I can live with what I have. Would I do it again no. Ford Pass isn't worth it and Apple Car Play is enough.

On 3/5/2022 at 1:20 PM, Barbara1945 said:

Ok after I got the modem upgrade to 4G I have finally been successful in getting Apple car Play working on my 2017 Ford Energi. To do this the software had to be upgraded which was challenging. Wifi didn't work as the signal in our garage was weak. I downloaded it from the Ford website onto a flash drive which had to have a high capacity. It didn't initially work but my son in law who has superior computer literacy skills to me adjusted the order of the files and got it working. I also had to pay for Apple Car Play Ford Connect which is an annual fee. Now between Ford Pass and Apple Car Play I am back almost to what I had before with My Ford Mobile and 3G. There aren't any comparative statistics but I can live with what I have. Would I do it again no. Ford Pass isn't worth it and Apple Car Play is enough.

I had a 2017 FFE.  Both Apple CarPlay and FordPass worked.  You just couldn't' use them at the same time.  The remote functions of FordPass didn't work of course because the FFE didn't support the remote functions with FordPass.  You had to use MyFord Mobile instead.  When FordPass was connected to bluetooth or USB it worked with limited functionality as long as you turned off CarPlay.  You don't have to remove CarPlay.  You just have to turn it off.  Its a per device setting and can be turned back on at any time.  Since then, FordPass supposedly has been updated to support FFE's and allow some of the functionality of MyFord Mobile as long as you get the 21B09 4g upgrade.  Once you get the 4g upgrade you shouldn't need to turn off CarPlay unless you want to use the app directly in Sync via bluetooth or USB.  I will be getting 21B09 applied to my 2020 FFE on Tuesday.

So this morning, after I competed a short trip in the car, I noticed my phone had a silent notification telling me FordPass was running. Compulsively I clicked it, and it finally gave me the option to activate the car! A few minutes later I'm up and running and everything looks good. Remote start/lock/unlock is all there as is charge status and the like.

One thing I've noticed is it doesn't seem to update itself automatically when the charge finishes, unlike MFM. I'll get used to it.

No idea why it took 12 days to get to the point where it started working, but I'm glad it finally got there.

On 3/6/2022 at 2:32 PM, Vtx531 said:

Is there a cheaper DIY method with Ford part #s yet or used parts from newer models? I have 2013 and I like the remote start but not enough to pay $400-600. That would end up costing me about $10-20 each use if I crunch the numbers.

Rumor has it that Ford is sending out refurb 4G modems from other vehicles. (Ford Escape, if I remember correctly).

The upgrade kit a dealer orders comes with a very hefty core charge (About $500) so they really want the old ones back.

On 3/7/2022 at 11:31 AM, FusionManiac said:

I have this file, I don't have a part number, just a kit number.

You need the kit to do the retrofit- The 3G and 4G antennas are different. Otherwise, look for a 4G antenna from an Escape.

Reading through the install guide the FFE physical install looks like breeze (especially compared to other models): fold down the rear seat backs, pop the speed fasteners for the package tray, remove package tray,  remove old modem and foam spacers,, put in new modem using double stick hook and loop fastener,  stick new antenna to under package shelf, connect wires, plugs, and close it all up.  Ford allows 0.7hrs for this and it seems like indeed <30 minutes work.   It is all in the guide . . .indeed a VERY simple physical install.

So if one had the kit it sure would be easy physically to do, BUT one wonders about special programming or some other step that the tech may have to do with special admin gadgets only the dealers have.

Indeed I did look at the used modem option, but that can be challenging too for the same reasons.   One would hope the device would reinitialize with the your car’s VIN, but what if the “donor” car’s VIN is stuck there ?

I am also still pursuing the “escalation” on this issue.   Bizarre that given the competitive landscape that Ford would not realize the customer relations win potential via a fast and very low/no cost upgrade.

A number of us C-Max owners have licked the DIY option for this upgrade and most of it has been documented over on those forums:

https://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/11068-2014-2017-c-max-energi-3g-to-4g-modem-update/

TL;DR:

• The official upgrades simply seem to be refurbished older 4G models. The TCU model number officially installed and reported by a few users is HJ5T-14G087-UM. Those of us who have DIY'd this have had either HJ5T-14G087-UF or HJ5T-14G087-UE TCU's and have been successful. A few of these came from '17 Escapes.
  • The new TCU automatically pulls the VIN from the vehicle. For the most part it is straightforward barring FordPass being cranky with the initial activation. But you'll use your existing legit VIN when adding the vehicle to FordPass.
  • Some AsBuilt modifications may be needed to the TCU. There's a few settings related to hybrid/PHEV related data that need to be included. The Fusion may also need adjustment for the vehicle architecture.
  • With just the minimal effort of install, AsBuilt modifications, and FordPass activation, the basics work. Remote start/lock/unlock work almost straight away. Other data such as fuel and charge level and location may take a few days to populate.
  • Value Charge and Go Times functions are not available on the DIY'd modules without a calibration update. They'll take the same updated HJ5T-14G087-UM calibration level that exists on the official refurbed modules and this enables those functions to work. This update is a roughly 3 hour process using a good OBD adapter like the OBDLink EX and ForScan.
  • As of right now, those have fully completed this including the calibration update to regain VC/Go Time functionality seem to indicate everything works 100% with no need for extra work through Ford's systems/IDS/etc.. Two people have completed this. I'll be a third when I do the calibration update this weekend.

Additional resources:

These folks have done a lot more research on the basic retrofit process on non-PHEV vehicles, but some of their info applies concerning stuff like the AsBuilt config and initial configuration and activation procedures:
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/sync-connect-retrofit-any-ford-452708

EDIT: Regarding the antenna: Apparently the TCU does have an internal antenna, but probably recommended to add an external one. Some have used this aftermarket antenna in a pinch. It does produce a DTC concerning an open circuit but it seems to function otherwise and improve the signal level reported.

Amazon.com: Bingfu Vehicle 4G LTE Cellular WiFi Bluetooth 2.4GHz Hidden Antenna for BMW Volkswagen Audi Mecedes Benz VW Vehicle SUV Car Stereo Carplay TCU Telematics Security Bluetooth Module Head Unit Receiver : Electronics

Edited by cr08

On 3/8/2022 at 6:14 PM, Locutus said:

My local dealer just performed this update on my 2020 FFE.  My vehicle was already in the FordPass app.  I wonder what happens if you already have you FFE in FordPass before the update.  Will the functions appear at some point?  Should you remove the vehicle and re-add it or just wait for it to show up?

In theory it should give you an Activation option at some point and much like the MyFord Mobile activation process, you'll get a popup on the touch screen in-vehicle and once you agree to it, the remote functions should simply show up on the main screen of FordPass.

That said, some have had issues with the activation and it seems to be recommended to remove the vehicle from FordPass and do a Master Rest in Sync and start from scratch.

This is also a useful third party site for accessing the FordPass remote access functionality and has been more reliable for the activation step: https://connectedcar-sdk.com/

I had mine already added when they did the update too. The remote functions didn't appear so I removed and re-added it. The activate option didn't appear for almost 2 weeks after they did the upgrade, actually... I didn't have to remove and re-add the vehicle in FordPass to get the activation though - one day when I fired the app up, it was just there.

On 3/8/2022 at 6:23 PM, cr08 said:

In theory it should give you an Activation option at some point and much like the MyFord Mobile activation process, you'll get a popup on the touch screen in-vehicle and once you agree to it, the remote functions should simply show up on the main screen of FordPass.

That said, some have had issues with the activation and it seems to be recommended to remove the vehicle from FordPass and do a Master Rest in Sync and start from scratch.

This is also a useful third party site for accessing the FordPass remote access functionality and has been more reliable for the activation step: https://connectedcar-sdk.com/

My 2020 FFE eventually showed up and started showing data.  Locking/unlocking/Remote Start seem to be working.  However, I haven't been able to setup Departure times.  Are they supposed to be working?

Edited by Locutus

On 3/8/2022 at 5:36 PM, cr08 said:

A number of us C-Max owners have licked the DIY option for this upgrade and most of it has been documented over on those forums:

https://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/11068-2014-2017-c-max-energi-3g-to-4g-modem-update/

TL;DR:

• The official upgrades simply seem to be refurbished older 4G models. The TCU model number officially installed and reported by a few users is HJ5T-14G087-UM. Those of us who have DIY'd this have had either HJ5T-14G087-UF or HJ5T-14G087-UE TCU's and have been successful. A few of these came from '17 Escapes.
  • The new TCU automatically pulls the VIN from the vehicle. For the most part it is straightforward barring FordPass being cranky with the initial activation. But you'll use your existing legit VIN when adding the vehicle to FordPass.
  • Some AsBuilt modifications may be needed to the TCU. There's a few settings related to hybrid/PHEV related data that need to be included. The Fusion may also need adjustment for the vehicle architecture.
  • With just the minimal effort of install, AsBuilt modifications, and FordPass activation, the basics work. Remote start/lock/unlock work almost straight away. Other data such as fuel and charge level and location may take a few days to populate.
  • Value Charge and Go Times functions are not available on the DIY'd modules without a calibration update. They'll take the same updated HJ5T-14G087-UM calibration level that exists on the official refurbed modules and this enables those functions to work. This update is a roughly 3 hour process using a good OBD adapter like the OBDLink EX and ForScan.
  • As of right now, those have fully completed this including the calibration update to regain VC/Go Time functionality seem to indicate everything works 100% with no need for extra work through Ford's systems/IDS/etc.. Two people have completed this. I'll be a third when I do the calibration update this weekend.

Additional resources:

These folks have done a lot more research on the basic retrofit process on non-PHEV vehicles, but some of their info applies concerning stuff like the AsBuilt config and initial configuration and activation procedures:
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/sync-connect-retrofit-any-ford-452708

EDIT: Regarding the antenna: Apparently the TCU does have an internal antenna, but probably recommended to add an external one. Some have used this aftermarket antenna in a pinch. It does produce a DTC concerning an open circuit but it seems to function otherwise and improve the signal level reported.

Amazon.com: Bingfu Vehicle 4G LTE Cellular WiFi Bluetooth 2.4GHz Hidden Antenna for BMW Volkswagen Audi Mecedes Benz VW Vehicle SUV Car Stereo Carplay TCU Telematics Security Bluetooth Module Head Unit Receiver : Electronics

Thanks for that update and those references.   I think I'm going to try to DYI my 2019 Fusion Energi.   The only unit I can seem to see in stock without scouring the internet is the HJ5T-14G087-UF from a 2017 Escape.   All I should need is that 4G antenna from Amazon that everyone has been linking, and the USB / OBD2 Forscan stuff (along with the program and laptop) then I should be at least able to use Fordpass after activation?   Currently I don't have the need for any value charging options, so I don't mind missing out on that.

Thank for clarifying..   Matt

On 3/8/2022 at 9:11 PM, Cactusmatt said:

Thanks for that update and those references.   I think I'm going to try to DYI my 2019 Fusion Energi.   The only unit I can seem to see in stock without scouring the internet is the HJ5T-14G087-UF from a 2017 Escape.   All I should need is that 4G antenna from Amazon that everyone has been linking, and the USB / OBD2 Forscan stuff (along with the program and laptop) then I should be at least able to use Fordpass after activation?   Currently I don't have the need for any value charging options, so I don't mind missing out on that.

Thank for clarifying..   Matt

Correct. As long as the AsBuilt is correctly updated to match your vehicle, it should be pretty straightforward from there and be able to activate it in FordPass. Here's a brief set of instructions that a user has posted on the linked F150forum thread to help smooth out any activation issues:

Try these steps if you haven't already.
1. Remove the vehicle from any FordPass/MyFord Mobile Apps.
2. Set TCU to Factory Mode in the As-Built
3. Perform a SYNC Master Reset
4. Add the vehicle to the FordPass app, but do not send an activation signal.
5. Exit Factory Mode on the TCU and Restart the Module.
6. Wait 5-10 minutes, then activate the vehicle in the app.

(Step 6 I'd recommend using the https://connectedcar-sdk.com/ website in place of the FordPass app. The app has been buggy in the past when it comes to activations. People have had a LOT better luck using that site instead to complete activation.)

I'll try to get some AsBuilt pointers for this upgrade and post them later this afternoon.

Edited by cr08

I spent quite a bit of wasted time on the phone with both FordPass direct support and the Ford customer service folks with no success.   Then I called the dealer service and they have no idea about the program nor parts.  The dealer said they will get back to me.   Just more info for me to send the state’s AG office.   My contention is a 2020 model year vehicle should not have been sold with a 3G modem given that 3G was already know to have a sunset.  We will see what happens.

On a parallel path I acquired a used (but reported as “good”) 14g229 TCU as well as qty 2 of the recommended Amazon sourced stick on antennas as the “229” has the two antenna ports so “why not?”  This weekend I will do all the physical stuff and see what happens.   I did a “recon” today under the package shelf on my FFE and just as I reported on my March 7 post:  the physical aspect of the FFE install looks really easy.

BTW I realize the “229” is the TCU version that provides a 4G wifi access point, but I have no concern whether or not that feature works given my phone is 4G/5G anyway (Some say  that a 229 will be reported by the system as a ‘087” anyway). I am going with the two antennas as some claim there is some benefit for the telematics 4G operations on the 229 version of the TCU.  As to the potential “grounding” error reported by some due to the Amazon sourced stick on antennas I wonder about that since looking at the Ford install for the official kit their supplied antenna is not grounded to anything.  Whatever the case I am prepared to try the “antenna wire shield to ground” approach some have recommended.

Based on everything I have read in multiple forums after install the most important factor once installed is patience waiting for the backend processes at Ford to update.

Here is the latest . . .part 1  (reminder 2020 FFE)

FFE modem physical installation:

1) FFE rear package shelf requires removal of trim pieces on either side.  There is a video on YouTube that demonstrates the removal technique.   Recommend clean hands (or thin gloves) and taking your time.   Not letting metal clips drop off will save lots of time as will being careful when putting trim back on to not pop off the connectors on the rear seatbelt tensioners.

2) Once the trim pieces were off the package shelf removal is very easy.  Old modem removal will require a tiny socket wrench or similar as there is little room to work under the rear window in that area.

3) Placing replacement 4G unit using recommended strips in Ford instructions was very easy.

4 Used two of the recommended antennas from AMZ and they were easy to stick on each side just to the left of the child set brackets (underneath the package shelf).

5) Total time about 20 minutes

Configuration . . . was quite a challenge.  

Let's start with original and and replacement modem IDs:

oldModem.jpg

replacement_modem.jpg

Edited by jtex

part 4

No modem ID showing up in the Sync.  So I printed from the Cyan labs and other sources the  programing and set my replacement TCU by changing the values it arrived with (picture) to:

754-01-01  B862   (this was also what the original modem had on its only line)

754-02-01 BEFF

On the APIM I only made one change as it already had the "9" in the right spot in 7D0-02-02 given the car had a TCU in before by changing 7D0-02-03 from 0405 to 4405

TCU_base.png

part 5

I did the standard module resets via Forscan many times as well as full Sync resets.

My Sync 3 has been updated to current 3.4 build.

So summary is that while the TCU is definitely alive with Forscan updating it, changing config, reading operational values, etc. for some reason the APIM (and Sync) do not "see" an onboard modem.  As others have reported I can't even within Sync activate value charge   Note that I did put the old modem back in temporarily and value charge reappeared.

Regarding the replacement modem I am having all this fun with . . the reseller here in the US said it came out of a 2019 Fusion (obviously not a FFE) sourced here in TX.

So unless anyone has any "silver bullet" config ideas my theory is I am somehow up against the "old versus new bus" issue and I have to find an older non-access point (so single antenna connector) 4G modem (none available on eBay) and attempt to flash it with the current firmware.

Ideas/suggestions?

Edited by jtex

On 3/6/2022 at 3:22 PM, theterminator93 said:

So this morning, after I competed a short trip in the car, I noticed my phone had a silent notification telling me FordPass was running. Compulsively I clicked it, and it finally gave me the option to activate the car! A few minutes later I'm up and running and everything looks good. Remote start/lock/unlock is all there as is charge status and the like.

One thing I've noticed is it doesn't seem to update itself automatically when the charge finishes, unlike MFM. I'll get used to it.

No idea why it took 12 days to get to the point where it started working, but I'm glad it finally got there.

Glad to hear it is working finally.  So how does Ford Pass compare to Ford Mobile?  I have a feeling Ford Mobile had better features than what you'll get with Ford Pass.

On 3/14/2022 at 11:56 AM, muzicman61 said:

Glad to hear it is working finally.  So how does Ford Pass compare to Ford Mobile?  I have a feeling Ford Mobile had better features than what you'll get with Ford Pass.

One big feature that is missing, there is no web interface like there was with MyFord Mobile.  In addition, there are no email or desktop alerts.  On the other hand, the app seems to be more responsive and quicker.  So far, I receive the same alerts as before, only quicker.  I have not received any plug-in reminder alerts.  But, I don't think I have forgotten to plug-in yet.  Charge complete notifications have been more instantaneous and more reliable.  Go Times exist but are now called Departure Times.  Also, you can lookup the car's GPS location on a map, but there doesn't seem to be any history for previous trips of the vehicle.  The EV data is there.  But, under MyFord Mobile you could see the address of the last three or four parking locations of the vehicle.

Edited by Locutus

On 3/13/2022 at 11:12 PM, jtex said:

part 5

I did the standard module resets via Forscan many times as well as full Sync resets.

My Sync 3 has been updated to current 3.4 build.

So summary is that while the TCU is definitely alive with Forscan updating it, changing config, reading operational values, etc. for some reason the APIM (and Sync) do not "see" an onboard modem.  As others have reported I can't even within Sync activate value charge   Note that I did put the old modem back in temporarily and value charge reappeared.

Regarding the replacement modem I am having all this fun with . . the reseller here in the US said it came out of a 2019 Fusion (obviously not a FFE) sourced here in TX.

So unless anyone has any "silver bullet" config ideas my theory is I am somehow up against the "old versus new bus" issue and I have to find an older non-access point (so single antenna connector) 4G modem (none available on eBay) and attempt to flash it with the current firmware.

Ideas/suggestions?

Try to replace GWM with a newer one, I have GWM - GATEWAY MODULE A - HG9T-14F642-AB, I will replace it with LJ5T-14F524-BG, which supports HS4 CAN.

I'm not sure if anyone's still paying attention but my Energi was build in August 2013. The notice says the vehicle has to be manufactured October of 2013 or later. The dealership can get the kit but they don't know if it will work on Ford Pass. I had no problems using everything on My Ford Mobile for (glorious) years.

Can anyone tell me if the date is a problem for connecting it to Ford Pass? I don't want to install it if it's not going to work.