Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Why I chose the Ford Fusion Energi

doug

Hi Everyone, I leased a Fusion Energi Titanium this past weekend and I love it.

I've created a blog to share what I'm learning about the car.  The forum admins here have granted me permission to post links to my blog articles here for discussion.

Please have a read and post comments on this forum thread:  Why I chose the Ford Fusion Energi

I'd prefer to promote this forum and have discussions here rather than on my blog.

Nice blog, Doug.  :)

We're glad that you've decided to share your blog with us!  :hi5:

I like the following comment on your blog and I am certain other agree too:

It's American
I left American cars in the early 90's and didn't look back until now.  I always wanted to buy American, but the look, quality and features just weren't there until now.  The big three are making much better cars than ever and Ford's quality rankings are up there with Toyota in many areas.  It's definitely time to come back to American car brands.

Edited by robertlane

It's amazing... my wife previously had two modes when driving: GO.... and STOP.  And with an SUV that got 17 MPG driving around town (turn on AC and make that 14) it was costing a lot of gas money for that basic running around town.

--- BUT ---

Now that she has the Energi and wants to maximize HVB and MPGs, she's turned it into a game (as several here have probably also) to see how smoothly she can now drive and thereby get the best results.  Miracles never cease.

It's amazing... my wife previously had two modes when driving: GO.... and STOP.  And with an SUV that got 17 MPG driving around town (turn on AC and make that 14) it was costing a lot of gas money for that basic running around town.

--- BUT ---

Now that she has the Energi and wants to maximize HVB and MPGs, she's turned it into a game (as several here have probably also) to see how smoothly she can now drive and thereby get the best results.  Miracles never cease.

We are playing the same game with ours.  Briefly hit 164 MPG overall but down to 134 now.  Funny we now say 'down to 134' when my van is getting about 16 around town :-)

Nice blog, Doug.  :)

We're glad that you've decided to share your blog with us!  :hi5:

I like the following comment on your blog and I am certain other agree too:

It's American

I left American cars in the early 90's and didn't look back until now.  I always wanted to buy American, but the look, quality and features just weren't there until now.  The big three are making much better cars than ever and Ford's quality rankings are up there with Toyota in many areas.  It's definitely time to come back to American car brands.

Thanks Robert.  I am trying to Buy American all I can and I'm really happy to own a Ford now. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really love the Tesla (two friends have them) but we drive 500 miles each way to our vacation home so we couldn't use it for that and it doesn't have the hi-tech features that the Fusion offers. The obvious drawback of the Fusion is trunk space but we're empty nesters so the fold down rear seat fixes that problem.

My reason: Li Ion and not NiCd or NiMH batteries... Ford went with the newer battery tech by waiting a bit. I suspect when the time comes to swap the battery pack out, it'll be even higher density energy.

Ford has a nicer looking PHEV, decent enough range for me. It's 19 miles to work where there is a charger. It's not in the parking garge, but I cannot complain too loudly.

I did a bunch of math and decided I could get a newer, technologically advanced car and offset its cost by the gas savings. I could continue to spend approximately $5000/year on gas or I could take those savings ($4000/yr) and get myself a newer vehicle.  Basically, in 8 years the cost of this vehicle (not counting interest on the loan, of course)  equals the savings in gas from my truck. I keep all my cars for at least 10 years. So, it looks like I'm gonna make some money on this deal.

Then, my oldest will just be driving and I can pass it on. Imagine having a car for your child that you can limit the speed, track it's location and you NEVER have to give them gas money. :)

• 1 month later...

Imagine having a car for your child that you can limit the speed, track it's location and you NEVER have to give them gas money. :)

This can cut both ways, as I found out.  My son and i bought the Fusion Ti as a 2d car.  Imagine my surprise when Son, after I grabbed the car one morning, texted me later that "Dad, I know now where you work.  You are parked at xxx xxxx Blvd".  i happen to have a classified federal job which I keep separate from family's knowledge... oops. 

Well now you just admitted to the world that your family discovered your classified job location..double oops.

Obama records everything on the internet so no going back now, lol!

Imagine having a car for your child that you can limit the speed, track it's location and you NEVER have to give them gas money. :)

This can cut both ways, as I found out.  My son and i bought the Fusion Ti as a 2d car.  Imagine my surprise when Son, after I grabbed the car one morning, texted me later that "Dad, I know now where you work.  You are parked at xxx xxxx Blvd".  i happen to have a classified federal job which I keep separate from family's knowledge... oops.