Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Can I home charge my Energi 12v battery?

DozerCSX

Greetings! My Energi is in Sleep Mode when the car is off, and I have read that could be due to a failing 12v battery. For all my other cars, I have a home overnight 12v/ 2 or 6 amp battery charger. I just plug it in, connect the clamps to the battery poles, and leave it overnight.

Question: can I use this home charger on my Energi 12v battery to top off the charge? Or is there something I should be worried about?

The charge terminals are under the hood, don't connect directly to the battery in the trunk.  If you do the computer will be unable to monitor the SOC of the battery.

RED flexible cover in front of the driver for +.

Bolt directly behind the red cover sticking up out of the shock tower for -.

The 12 volt battery is charged when the HVB completes charging.  Don't disconnect the EVSE until it turns off after HVB charging completes.

Thanks guys - great info!

Just one more thing I found - I watched the Weber State video on the electrical system for the Fusion Energi, and one thing he mentioned is that, because these batteries are slightly different technology than lead acid (I think they are called AGM - Absorbed Glass Mat), which accepts deep cycles better, that you should charge them at less than 6 amps. For example, my trickle charger has two 12v settings - 6amp and 2amp, so I think I'll try my 2 amp setting first.

On 10/8/2021 at 3:25 PM, murphy said:

Sleep mode means the battery voltage has dropped below the allowed minimum voltage.  How long has it been parked in the garage?

My car didn't get driven much so I had to charge the 12 volt battery on a weekly basis.

I drive the vehicle about 2 or 3 times a week.  I don't recall how long it had set without being driving when I received that notification from MyFord Mobile

Gents - I was reading up further on this, and Murphy, above, is correct - I just downloaded the Fusion Electrical Safety Manual, and it clearly says 12V Lead Acid Battery, so you can charge it just like a regular car battery.  He is also right that it’s super easy to use the under hood terminals to charge the 12v battery - the red positive connector and the negative bolt about 12 inches ahead of it next to the shock tower are easy to find and clip to.

So I guess Murphy is an Optimist after all! ?

p.s I’ll include the link to the 2019 Fusion Electrical Safety manual here - it’s actually a very important document - it shows where the High voltage cutoff switch is, and describes a lot of important characteristics for your Fusion Energi…

https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/dam/aem_fleet/en_us/fleet/showroom/resources/2019_Fusion-MKZ_HEV_ERG.pdf