Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Why no heatpump?

Ffe

It's occurred to me that a lot of EVs use resistive heating for their heat like the Fusion.

A reversing valve for their AC system couldn't cost that much/add that much weight.  Why aren't they designed to use their ACs as a heatpump?

They could do a little heat exchanger with the gas engine coolant too perhaps.  It wouldn't need to be very big.  OR perhaps just mill a channel through the engine casing intended for refridgerant plus one more valve to switch it through the engine when it wants heat, or through the AC evaporator when it's trying to get rid of heat.

1 hour ago, Ffe said:

It's occurred to me that a lot of EVs use resistive heating for their heat like the Fusion.

A reversing valve for their AC system couldn't cost that much/add that much weight.  Why aren't they designed to use their ACs as a heatpump?

They could do a little heat exchanger with the gas engine coolant too perhaps.  It wouldn't need to be very big.  OR perhaps just mill a channel through the engine casing intended for refridgerant plus one more valve to switch it through the engine when it wants heat, or through the AC evaporator when it's trying to get rid of heat.

There is no heat in my engine.  I hardly ever use it.  When the engine is running heat is taken from the water jacket to heat the cabin just like every other car.  The resistance heater is only for full electric heat.

BEVs don't have an engine.

Engine or not, isn't a heatpump like 3 to 4x more efficient than resistive electric heat?

My neighborhood does not have natural gas service, and my home has an electric furnace plus a heatpump.  I literally put a switch on the electric furnace to disable it fully, and the Feb 2021 blizzard was the first time I switched it on in like 4 years because it's so much more expensive than heatpump.