Ford Fusion Energi Forum

What Level 2 Charger did you buy/install?

jeff_h

What L2 Charger did you (or will you) choose?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Which charger is for you?

• Leviton 30 Amp
    • Leviton 32 Amp
    • GE Wattstation 30 Amp
    • Siemens Versicharge 30 Amp
    • AreoVironment 30 Amp
    • Eaton 30 Amp
    • Other brand/type not listed (or reply so it can be added)
    • Don't plan to get L2 charger, using the 120v cord that came with my Energi
    • Leviton 16 Amp
    • Clipper Creek 25 Amp
    • Clipper Creek 40 Amp
    • JuiceBox
    • Bosch PowerMax 30A

Also, I was able to get the free Areovironment charger when I purchased the car last week. I only need to pay for the permit...

Just got it installed.  Permit was $276.  Here's what it looks like:

IMG 1447

As it was being installed, I got a follow-up phone call from SDG&E.  I'm finally on their EVTOU-2 plan, so charging from midnight to 5:00 am will now cost me $0.16/kWh vs the $0.36 I was paying...
Edited by SD Diver

Just got it installed.  Here's what it looks like:

As it was being installed, I got a follow-up phone call from SDG&E.  I'm finally on their EVTOU-2 plan, so charging from midnight to 5:00 am will now cost me $0.16/kWh vs the $0.36 I was paying...

Wow.  I pay 16 cents per kWh 24 hours a day and I thought that was high.

I now have a second Level 2 charger -- got the Leviton 30A installed in our garage back in April and that's fine... but since wife is at her Mom's house regularly (18 miles away) the Level 1 wasn't cutting it so I got a Clipper Creek LCS25 for $495, electrician hooked it up today and it worked fine, so now I have both bases covered.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just placed my order for the Clipper Creek Indoor/Outdoor rated charger.  I'm going to mount it on a post in the rain!  I find myself driving the car a lot and would like to be able to charge it faster.  BTW- I just passed 5000 miles in about 7 weeks!  I hope my temporary assignment ends soon.  I'm not really excited about driving 37k miles a year.  :shift:

http://stores.homestead.com/ClipperCreekInc/-strse-6/Level-2-EVSE%2C-Level/Detail.bok

a6473a313e482f6c551a4c_l.jpg

I bought a Bosch 240v/16A model EL-51245 from Amazon for $423 and installed it myself today with a homemade 25' power cord...super easy.  I mounted it to the end of the garage door rail so it is up and out of the way when not in use.  In this location the 12' charging cable is plenty long and need never touch or drag on the garage floor.  Pictures attached.  The Bosch unit draws less than 5w in standby mode and also has a rocker switch on the side to completely turn it off for no draw at all.

post-432-0-53286800-1385866518_thumb.jpgpost-432-0-51804300-1385866547_thumb.jpgpost-432-0-82754800-1385866564_thumb.jpg

I got the Leviton 16 Amp 3.8 kW Level 2 unit for $644.31 from Amazon with free shipping.  http://amzn.com/B00B2GWRLQ

There was a 240V outlet in my basement that I wasn't using.  I just pulled the wire from the box, led it toward the garage, installed a junction box to continue the run to the garage and installed the old outlet in a new box in the garage.  Everything I needed was on hand from earlier renovation projects, so the installation cost me nothing but a hour or so of my time. 

The old outlet was on a 20A breaker and used 12-2 wire.  This limited the size of EVSE I could use to 16A unless I wanted to run new larger wire all the way from the electrical panel at one end of the house to the garage at the opposite end of the house and installing a larger breaker.

Now I have a problem.  I am so happy with my wife's Fusion Energi that I've started thinking about getting a Focus Electric, which means I should have bought the larger 30A unit.  If I decide to do that, I guess I'll be pulling 8 gauge wire all the way from one end of the house to the other and trading out the unit I just bought for the more powerful one.

I just love the idea of driving on electricity (when my wife lets me).  This is fun!

You can use the 16A charger with the Focus Electric... instead of taking 4 hours for a full charge, it'd take 8.  Even though the Focus has a 6.6kw charger onboard, it's smart enough to talk to the charger and see what the unit can supply, and will limit itself to 3.8kw rather than burning it up.  It's really nice that the chargers can do variable charging rates.

Honestly, that's why I bought the 16A charger.  Sucking down 1/3 of my entire household current for 4 hours during the summer while everybody's A/C is running on an already overloaded electrical grid... I figured I'd limit myself to 16A no matter what EV I get.  :)

Now I have a problem.  I am so happy with my wife's Fusion Energi that I've started thinking about getting a Focus Electric, which means I should have bought the larger 30A unit.  If I decide to do that, I guess I'll be pulling 8 gauge wire all the way from one end of the house to the other and trading out the unit I just bought for the more powerful one.

I just love the idea of driving on electricity (when my wife lets me).  This is fun!

FYI,

I actually looked into the focus electric and was going to lease one, my dealer gave me a great deal I thought.. 0 down 36 months $250 after tax/fees.

But after researching it I checked out the focus electric forum and there was just so many people having a problem with the ssn error (Stop Safety Now). I didn't want to chance it and was able to get into the Energi and haven't had any major problems besides the 12v battery needing to be replaced.

www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=900&start=410

I also checked out the Toyota Rav4 EV and it too was having similar problems from what I was reading on the forums.

I just had a 240V/30A outlet (NEMA 14-30 receptacle) installed in my garage yesterday for $310 (materials & labor).  I bought a Clipper Creek LCS-25P direct from the manufacturer located in Auburn, CA and it arrived in 1 day to my house.  The charger was $549 + shipping + tax.  It is the same form factor as the 110V/15A unit that came with the car.  It charges the battery from empty to full in 2 hours.  I bought the charger with the plug so that I can take it with me if we were ever move or use it at work (or any where else that has NEMA 14-30).  The hardwire version is $495 and the cost to install is the same as the cost to install a NEMA 14-30 receptacle.

• 1 month later...

I just purchased the Bosch EL-51253 Power Max Level 2 Charger 30A with 18 ft cord from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FM7B1AO/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for $565.19 and free 2 day shipping (Prime).

I contacted an electrician and told me that he would charge me about $160 to install it (I though this was a very good price). At first I skeptical, but he mentioned he had installed a least 2 Volt chargers for that amount. Even if he find that he needs more cable or conduit and he charges me $200 I still think is a good deal. Less than $750 for an installed level 2 charger.

By the way, I know that the Energi cannot take that much power, but since i'm making the investment now I want to be protected in case I win the lotto and buy a Tesla.

Regards,

APM

I just purchased the Bosch EL-51253 Power Max Level 2 Charger 30A with 18 ft cord from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FM7B1AO/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for $565.19 and free 2 day shipping (Prime).

I contacted an electrician and told me that he would charge me about $160 to install it (I though this was a very good price). At first I skeptical, but he mentioned he had installed a least 2 Volt chargers for that amount. Even if he find that he needs more cable or conduit and he charges me $200 I still think is a good deal. Less than $750 for an installed level 2 charger.

By the way, I know that the Energi cannot take that much power, but since i'm making the investment now I want to be protected in case I win the lotto and buy a Tesla.

Regards,

APM

$160.00 for the install how far away from the panel were you? Did he have to install the breaker also.... That is an awesome deal.

The lowest price I was quoted for a standard EVSE installation was about $325.  So you are getting a very good deal.  Bosch arranged the electrician for my installation that included a 3 year warranty.  But my installation was complicated, involving a separately metered circuit.  It took the electrician all day.  The materials alone cost $400 for my installation. 

Edited by larryh

Regards,

APM

I also got the Bosch charger, but the 20amp version. When I ordered in December, they were out of the 30amp version, and wouldnt have more before the end of the year. I wanted to have it in service to take advantage of the expiring federal and state tax credits. I also was able to do the install myself by utilizing an un-used dryer outlet in my garage. So after tax rebates including installations, I will be out ~$320 total.

Edited by Rexracer

$160.00 for the install how far away from the panel were you? Did he have to install the breaker also.... That is an awesome deal.

I told the guy to consider about 20 ft of cable, but I now think it could be more... that's why I mentioned that if it goes up to $200 it still will be a good deal. I'm not sure if my electrical panel has space for extra breakers so that may be another expense. I will report back once the intall is done and the money exchanges hands.

Regards,

APM

I just pulled the trigger on the 30amp clipper creek model. I will be ready in case I purchase a car with a larger battery capacity down the road. I've had to quotes for install. I have room in my meter box outside for it. The line will be aprox 25 feet long to my carport and be run under ground. A large outfit that his done many installs quoted $950. A local electrician said he could do it for less than $300 if I dig my own trench. You know which way I am going to go.

I told the guy to consider about 20 ft of cable, but I now think it could be more... that's why I mentioned that if it goes up to $200 it still will be a good deal. I'm not sure if my electrical panel has space for extra breakers so that may be another expense. I will report back once the intall is done and the money exchanges hands.

Regards,

APM

The final installation price was $220. It was more because he need to replace two breakers in my panel. Also I asked him to include a 120V outlet. In total he needed 1 40amp breaker and 2 new double breakers. I think all considered, the price was really good. The first electrician I asked about this said it would be between $350 and $400.

Here is a pic of the final install:

gallery_95_29_1490692.jpg

Regards,

APM

Edited by apm

Just built and placed into service an EMW Juicebox. Build was pretty easy since I have fairly good soldering skills. Total cost, including a Leviton J1772 cable from Amazon was $335.00. Could have done it for MUCH cheaper if I wasn't worried about 30A in the future. 

One really cool thing that they support: You can take two 120v cords (Home Depot) and run them into the box when you build it. As long as you have two 120v outlets what are on different legs of your electric service and you have 240 volt charging. No installation of dedicated circuits, etc, needed. You're limited to 15 or 20 amps at 240v, but that's plenty for the Fusion!