Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Fusion Titanium PHEV "L" or Grade Assist?

Marvin

Neither Low (totally misnamed - it is not a gear change) nor grade assist use the engine if the HVB is not fully charged.   Instead it charges the HVB.

I drive exclusively in L and use grade assist when going down hill.   The charge rate can be modulated with the accelerator pedal.  I almost never use the engine for anything.  I put about 2 gallons of gas in the car per year.  It is my local driving car.  Long distance driving is done with a BEV.

The other option you have, depending on the speed limit is to use cruise control.  Interestingly, I found cruise will use whatever regen is necessary to maintain the proper speed on a long hill.  This is even true if you are in "D". 

I used this on "the grapevine" in Southern CA.  It is a freeway coming down out of the mountains with a single downhill over 6 miles long and almost 2000' elevation drop.  I gained 6 miles of regen in those 6 miles of driving, while still in D with cruise set to the speed limit.