Ford Fusion Energi Forum

How high will it go?

meyersnole

I have had my car almost exactly 1 month, I have 634 miles on the ODO and have driven 548.5 EV miles.

So, I guess my question is when it displays 151 mpg what does that number mean? Dos that mean that I have burned 4.2 gallons of gas to go 634, and they are treating the electric miles as free?

If so it is going to be really hard to figure out what the real MPGe is for this car. Given the numbers, this has to be what is going on.

I think that when choosing to display MPG it is simply looking at total miles / total gas burned.  There is the option to have it display MPGe instead.  I'll have to look at the menus in the morning to remember where this setting is.

What I find odd is my MPG stat is around 70 but my MPGe is closer to 55.  I would have expected the MPGe to be higher.  Anyway, I prefer the MPG setting.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, MPGe will always be lower. MPG only factors in how much gas you burned. MPGe also takes how many KwH you used from the initial charge and uses a per KwH cost to compare against a gallon of gas. For example, if you only used EV, MPG will show "999.9" since it's infinite because you did not burn any gas. However, if you went 20 miles on EV and used up all your battery, it will take you approx 8 KwH to charge back up. If 8 KwH costs you $1 and gas costs $4 per gallon, your MPGe would be:

20 miles / 0.25 "e"

"e" equals Total cost of battery charged / Cost per gallon of gas

This would come out to 80 MPGe versus 999.9 MPG

Actually, MPGe will always be lower. MPG only factors in how much gas you burned. MPGe also takes how many KwH you used from the initial charge and uses a per KwH cost to compare against a gallon of gas. For example, if you only used EV, MPG will show "999.9" since it's infinite because you did not burn any gas. However, if you went 20 miles on EV and used up all your battery, it will take you approx 8 KwH to charge back up. If 8 KwH costs you $1 and gas costs $4 per gallon, your MPGe would be:

20 miles / 0.25 "e"

"e" equals Total cost of battery charged / Cost per gallon of gas

This would come out to 80 MPGe versus 999.9 MPG

Thanks for an explanation that I can comprehend.