Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Concerned about the plastics in the front end

mczajka

I waxed my car last weekend and I'm concerned about the rigidity of some of the plastics up front. These components look great from a distance, but the grill and the front spoiler have some really thin plastic components which look like they could break easily. I think we all like the Aston Martin type grill, but if some after market products come out, I may consider replacing it. The components up front on my 2010 Fusion Hybrid seemed a little more rigid. What do you think?

I waxed my car last weekend and I'm concerned about the rigidity of some of the plastics up front. These components look great from a distance, but the grill and the front spoiler have some really thin plastic components which look like they could break easily. I think we all like the Aston Martin type grill, but if some after market products come out, I may consider replacing it. The components up front on my 2010 Fusion Hybrid seemed a little more rigid. What do you think?

+1 here.  When I washed I was surprised by the give in the lower side of the rear quarter panels.  They just push in with the slightest pressure.  I also have no faith in the plastic mechanics of the charger port cover.  That entire assembly is light plastic and it gets used every day.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea you have top remember that all of these components really are lighter and thinner, and this is still a 4k lb car.  for the front grille and hood/fenders, keep in mind that this car has pedestrian protection measure in place, so many of these components are built specifically to break away when you hit a person at low speeds.  for the body panels, they are thinner for a weight save because the support structure underneath is now so much stronger. ford uses boron alloys that reduces the load the sheet metal panels need to take in an accident.  all this while still getting awesome crash test ratings: http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2013-ford-fusion-earns-five-star-safety-rating-in-federal-crash-tests.html

Yea you have top remember that all of these components really are lighter and thinner, and this is still a 4k lb car.  for the front grille and hood/fenders, keep in mind that this car has pedestrian protection measure in place, so many of these components are built specifically to break away when you hit a person at low speeds.  for the body panels, they are thinner for a weight save because the support structure underneath is now so much stronger. ford uses boron alloys that reduces the load the sheet metal panels need to take in an accident.  all this while still getting awesome crash test ratings: http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2013-ford-fusion-earns-five-star-safety-rating-in-federal-crash-tests.html

Good points here.  If I hit another vehicle with my 1969 Mustang, it's like I'm running into a brick wall = 0 protection.  

My 2008 Mustang on the other hand might seem to have cheaper / flexible components, however, it has crash protection.  As a side note, my 1969 Mustang has the 428 SCJ engine and weighs about 3069 lbs. The Fusion's in at 4,000 lbs.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, mine just suffered a collision yesterday and the front-end faired pretty well.  After what my wife told me on the phone, I figured it would be in pieces, but it was just scuffed.  Scratched at worst.  Body shop figures just a resurface will be all that's needed.  The fender on the other hand...  I'm getting a new one.  As well as the wheel.

gallery_124_5_318591.jpg

Side impact crash test for the Fusion Energi:

I love super slow mo!

But I was disappointed in the rear side curtain airbag and the amount of glass that it let through to the cabin.  Also, this reinforces why I want all my car seats installed in the center position of the rear seat.  I can't figure out why they don't put latch anchors in the center position.