Ford Fusion Energi Forum

2016 Plug-In battery range

Matt86

Hello, just joined and interested in everyones' thoughts. 

I bought a used 2016 Fusion Energi in Nov of 2017. When I bought it, I also bought an extended premium warranty, explicitly to cover the battery.

I was in Southern California most of 2018 and always got approx 24 miles on battery as advertised. I then relocated to CO and during the winter usually saw about 18 or so which I guess is understandable. My neighbor who has a Tesla saw no appreciable difference in the winter, however. I then took the car to FL and am now seeing 16 miles on the battery every time it is charged. I took it into the dealership and because there were no faults or errors, they considered its decreased performance, normal. What???? 

Their response from their Tech manual is that due to many factors battery performance can vary.... So theoretically the battery could go 1 mile have no faults and not be replaceable.

I definitely want to know other peoples' experience with the 2016 Energi battery.

Thanks.

Matt

I have a 2013 which has the same battery as a 2016.

I assume in Florida that the air conditioner is on 100% of the time.  If you are running in EV Only, power for the air conditioner reduces what is available for driving.  The best time for the car where I am (PA) is spring and fall when I can run with no heater and no air conditioner.  Below freezing I get about 10 miles of range because of the 5 kW resistance heater.   Right now I get between 18 and 20 when using A/C.  What is your average speed?  As you go above 50mph the air drag gets to be significant since it increases with the square of the speed.  Drive at 80 in EV Only and the battery will be empty in nothing flat.

The miles number is a calculation based on a lot of parameters.  There is no known way to measure the charge in a Li-Ion battery.  All they can do is measure what goes in and what comes out.

A Tesla has much less effect from ambient temperature because they can heat or cool the battery with liquid circulating through the battery.  The Energi uses air from the cabin to cool the battery.  I guess the assumption was that if the passengers are happy the battery will be happy.

That's just about the same answer the dealership gave me. 

To answer your questions. I drove for a year in Southern so similar temp but less humidity.

Haven't run in EV only for some time. So anytime I am on the freeway or up at speed I go into Battery Save mode and use the engine only.

Got it that the battery mileage is an estimate but if anything I think i get less. 

If you get 18-20 with AC using a battery that is 3+ years older, I'd write there's any issue with mine....

You don't say how many miles are on your Energi, but if it is almost 4 years old, it's probably in the vicinity of 50k miles.  16 miles is okay for that age (not great but not horrible), but it is largely dependent on how you've been using it for the last 3 years.  If you've been charging a lot (multiple charges a day) that can bring down the capacity over time.  Other factors play into the remaining capacity too: high speed driving on EV, high heater usage while in EV mode, lots of EV driving in temps over 100F, etc.

Another thing to consider:  Even if you are driving on gas, the computer uses your driving patterns as well as your HVAC use to "estimate" what you would get out of the current charge.  So if you are running gas on the freeway, but doing 75MPH+ with the AC on full blast, that will reduce the estimated miles.  Best way to compare is to do a full charge test, talked about on other threads here.  Choose a route and drive it on EV Now from 100% charge to when it locks you out of EV mode (just a little after screen says 0%).  This will tell you two things:

• kWh used, which compared to 5.6 kWh gives you how much degradation your battery has suffered
  • True miles per charge based on your driving patterns.

I would do this at a time of day where you can drive the route without using the A/C or heat, just so you can get the full mileage the battery can deliver.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2020 at 8:45 AM, Matt86 said:

Ok, thanks. That's helpful. Yes, just over 50K

Anyone have any experience with the Extended/Premier warranty? Is the only way to get a replacement battery to have it fault?

Hi Matt,

The Hybrid and the unique electric components of the PHEV powertrain are covered by the standard warranty.  8 year/ 100,000 miles with lots of caveats. 

More information here: Hybrid & Electric Vehicle Unique Component Coverage

And you should have this in your manuals (here it is in PDF)

2020 Ford Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Warranty Guide

• 2 weeks later...