Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Extension cord

Madevilz

Ive owned a Fusion Energy 2017 for a year now, and had no idea it is not recommended to use an extension cord with the 120V charger until now. Even worst, I have been using one of those orange cords used for the lawn. 

It has been charging just fine and never noticed overheating. Is it not recommended because the extension cord could have melted?

I have found a 50ft, 12 Gauge, 15 Amp, 125 Volt cord, will that be ok to use with the charger?

Edited by Madevilz

It is not recommended because the common extension cords most people have laying around are 18 gauge wire.  The wire will heat up which reduces the voltage at the car making it take longer to complete the charge.  If it is 80 degrees outside they will probably overheat.

12 gauge will work although I prefer a 10 gauge cord because it has a lower voltage drop.  They are expensive because of the much higher copper content.

Nope, don't need a 50 ft but that was the only one that I could find.

The charger can actually go from my garage to the car outside but I just don't want it to hang on the wall without a support.

I'd rather have an extension cord and let the charger sit on the ground.

Found this 10ft one from Amazon which is quite affordable, will it do the job?

https://www.amazon.ca/AmazonBasics-Heavy-Lighted-Extension-Orange/dp/B07N4MBKPL/ref=sr_1_7?crid=12VKTFDCFYRWV&dchild=1&keywords=heavy+duty+extension+cord&qid=1592883810&refinements=p_72%3A11192170011&rnid=11192166011&sprefix=heavt+duty+extension+cord%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-7

Edited by Madevilz

That should work fine.  it is 12ga 15 amps,  which you will be running 12 amps due to default setting on the car for 120V charging.

I had a 12ga 50' that was working fine for a couple months, but just started throwing me a flashing red light on the EVSE.  Plug was quite warm so I think it was tripping the thermistor.  I'm using a 10ga now with no problems.

I've also found this really useful. It would help in your case if you're concerned about putting stress on your outlet. Hope this is just a regular link.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FC9M4YF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_eGU8EbP1K0KAN

You can just look up J1772 holster on Amazon or eBay.....

Edited by Mandala