Ford Fusion Energi Forum

2017 platinum battery use question

nuspi32

I can charge my 2017 platinum to full charge.. when I drive vehicle I use ev later mode I drive for about 50 mile then when I get home I see my vehicle needs to be charged  back up to get back to  full charge I was told when it is charged I can use the stored charge for later in ev now mode.  is the charged battery being used no mater what mode the car is in. 

It is a hybrid car.  The battery is always being used. Every time it is put in EV Later mode it will attempt to preserve 95% of the current charge.  Even when the car says the battery is a zero it really isn't.  1.5 kWh of the battery is reserved for normal hybrid use.  0.5 kWh is reserved to protect the battery.  The car does not have a traditional starter motor or an alternator.  The engine is started by one of the high voltage electric motors.  The 12 volt battery is charged by a DC to DC converter.

In reverse only the battery is used.  The engine is incapable of moving the car in reverse.  It may start but it is only generating electricity so an electric motor can power reverse.  Most of the time the engine is not directly coupled to the wheels.  The only situation I can think of is full throttle acceleration.  The accelerator pedal tells the computer what you want.  The computer decides what RPM the engine will run at.   There is no correlation between the accelerator pedal and vehicle speed.  That's probably more than you wanted to know.

I think you mean when you are done with your 50 miles it is no longer 100% full, but rather in the 90s% range?  As murphy said the car will use the first 5% of the battery no matter what mode you have it in.  This is to create buffer in the battery to capture regenerative braking.

FYI: It is best to NOT keep the battery full - it stresses the battery, especially when it gets hot.  You should only charge to full just prior to when you are going to use it.  This will prolong the life of the battery.