Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Ev miles

Scottb

How do you select Vent mode?

On the touchscreen, press the Vent picture.  This takes the system partially out of Auto Mode and the A/C button will then turn the A/C On or Off.

Alternatively, you can also use voice commands.   "Climate" <tone> then "Vent"

The Fan will remain in Auto Mode until you manually change the fan speed.

Yesterday I tried driving it in the "EV Now" mode just to see if there was any difference. It still gave me 22 EV miles but surprisingly didn't use them all up first. I didn't understand why the message to the left of the steering wheel kept telling me to press "OK" to turn on the engine. Why would I do that if I wanted to use EV miles first? Towards the end of my 40 miles trip it seamlessly switched to Hybrid of course. 

I will switch it back to "EV Auto." 

When in Auto, the engine will turn itself on under certain conditions, such as heavier acceleration.

While in EV Now,  the car will not turn the engine on, no matter what, even if you floor it. 

While in EV Now, pressing "OK" will momentarily put you in "Auto" mode.  This allows the engine to turn on under the same conditions mentioned above.  It will time out after a short while and you will need to press it again if you want the ICE on standby.

This mode is helpful if you want extra power to accelerate up an onramp, merge with traffic, or drag race the person next to you  (just kidding, don't try this at home).

When in Auto, the engine will turn itself on under certain conditions, such as heavier acceleration.

While in EV Now,  the car will not turn the engine on, no matter what, even if you floor it. 

While in EV Now, pressing "OK" will momentarily put you in "Auto" mode.  This allows the engine to turn on under the same conditions mentioned above.  It will time out after a short while and you will need to press it again if you want the ICE on standby.

This mode is helpful if you want extra power to accelerate up an onramp, merge with traffic, or drag race the person next to you  (just kidding, don't try this at home).

All true, except, when you live in a hot climate like howardbc and I do or your battery becomes hot for some other reason, there are times the engine WILL BE forced on when in EV Now.

Thanks, pluggedin. I liked your comments. I will go back to "EV Auto" for good. Have you found any other Fusion Energis there in Tucson? I'm so glad I have the other members of the local EAA (Electric Auto Assn) club to talk to once a month, although there still isn't another Fusion Energi in the group.  

It's been terribly hot here as usual this Summer but the car has done just great. Fortunately I don't have to drive every day. I've got 2422 miles since April 5th - 70+% using the battery.  

Thanks, pluggedin. I liked your comments. I will go back to "EV Auto" for good. Have you found any other Fusion Energis there in Tucson? I'm so glad I have the other members of the local EAA (Electric Auto Assn) club to talk to once a month, although there still isn't another Fusion Energi in the group.  

It's been terribly hot here as usual this Summer but the car has done just great. Fortunately I don't have to drive every day. I've got 2422 miles since April 5th - 70+% using the battery.  

It was pretty hot here too, at the beginning of July (around 110 degrees), but the monsoons hit here three weeks ago, or so, and it has been hovering around 98 to 100 every day, with an occasional day in the low 90's. When it rains in the afternoons, at around 2 or 3 pm, it drops to less than 90 degrees...but very humid. It's 70 here this morning but that won't last for long.

I have not seen another Fusion Energi in Tucson yet. We live in a little community about 30 miles south of Tucson and mine is certainly the only Energi here. I've seen several 2013 gas models but no Energi's.

My odometer just turned over to 3,000 miles this past week and the car is still doing great. I am tracking miles per gallon (makes me feel better) and had the mileage up to 127 lifetime mpg's until I started running some kids from Virginia down to Nogales, Mexico, from the Tucson airport, for a church mission project there. Now I'm at about 115 mpg.

I filled the tank up in the last day or two of June and still have a quarter of a tank left, even after all the freeway driving to and from Mexico. I am averaging filling the car up once a month but will probably go a month and a half this time. Not too shabby.

• 2 months later...

I have never used Auto mode for speeds less then 55 MPH, I have always used EV Now. I will have to give Auto mode a try.

However, at freeway speeds my Auto mode uses up the EV battery first and and uses it up FAST if I am are doing 70 MPH+. Then you are left with hybrid only to get you home. Therefore, your MPG's will suffer.

I have been using EV Now exclusively for speeds less then 55 MPH and switching to EV Later (EV later is a hybrid mode too, but will not deplete your EV battery) for anything over that, especially freeway speeds; saving my battery power for when I get off the freeway or I am close enough to home to use it up on the freeway, by switching back to EV Now, which helps to increase overall MPG.

At this writing my average MPG's are over 127 and climbing, because I have been doing almost all short trip of 20 miles or less.

this is exactly how i drive mine.. i drive about 28 miles each way to work. my avergae mpg is about 75 mpg.. I dont get the purpose of using auto mode if its going to deplete the EV battery and leave me with hybrid only ..

Edited by cuznvin

I took a trip into Washington, DC Saturday. Went almost 29 miles on all EV, I charged at two different charge stations while in DC and came home on almost all EV. I was traveling on rural, highway and city roads. The weather was very warm, and I drove through a bit of rain coming home. That come out as a 700 mpg plus trip. I love this Fusion Energi.

DC+Trip+to+Tesla.jpg

Hi Taylorjd,

I noticed that your EV battery goes up to 6.1 KWh. The most I have been to get from mine is 5.4. I wonder why there would be such a difference... Have you done any of the cold weather TSB's? I have not try to do any of them because I don't expect the weather to get below freezing any time soon here in Miami ;)

Regards,

APM

The only time I use EV later is when I not going to make it home on battery. I go into EV later when I have 5-6 miles left for driving on the streets when I leave the freeway. It is my understanding I get better mileage out of the battery on the streets than highway speeds so I save it. Otherwise auto is my friend.

Hi Taylorjd,

I noticed that your EV battery goes up to 6.1 KWh. The most I have been to get from mine is 5.4. I wonder why there would be such a difference... Have you done any of the cold weather TSB's? I have not try to do any of them because I don't expect the weather to get below freezing any time soon here in Miami ;)

Regards,

APM

"TSB's"? I haven't done anything special.

TSB = Technical Service Bulletins

You battery charge is what it is. You have a 7.6 KWh battery and the charge takes what it needs to top that off, I've seen mine float around a lot. Unless you check the battery screen, you aren't that sure of the charge level based on miles alone (which is just a short history of how you are driving).

Hi Taylorjd,

Regards,

APM

I think that variance has to do with the 'hybrid' zone of the battery's state of charge.  Mine went to 5.8kw when I got home after a return commute from Detroit.  I had completely drained the EV portion and was in the process of draining the hybrid battery when I pulled in the driveway (yay for still making it on pure electric power alone! :))  We have a 7.6kwh battery, but I think Ford only cycles about 6.5kwh of energy in and out of it.  As a guess with TaylorJD's amount of charge, he might've been really close to having drained the hybrid portion of the battery completely when he plugged in.

Remember there is just one HVB. It reserves the last 10-15% of charge for hybrid mode. Check the hybrid screen in the car, but it should read 7.6 kwh with a full charge. I think it always just gives you a % of charge.

I'm draining down the hybrid mode 1-2 times a day as a part of my commute. Some days I get both ways with spare miles, some days I don't. I worry about the number of charge cycles I'm putting on the battery long term. Does Ford ever publish charge cycle lifetimes for their batteries?

• 3 weeks later...