Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Ev miles

Scottb

I've experienced this as well when the myfordmobile app tells me the car is done charging. The last two full charges have read 19 and 18 miles. I would imagine this is the computer taking into account the last climate settings, and other elements that might put a drain on the traction battery in the next instance of travel. That and the temperature of the battery itself will effect these calculations and energy potential.

It may also have to do with these being new batteries and not yet reaching their full potential. Time will tell on that matter I guess.

Bottom line, I'd be patient, give it time, AND watch for what your ACTUAL return is. Computers are great and all, but my experience with vehicle trip computers, especially when dealing with mpg and distance to empty calculations is that they are less than accurate.

Edited by Scooter80

I think I can help here. As Scooter mentions, the computer is guessing at your range based on previous drives and what systems you have active. If you are careful with your acceleration, braking, and travel at lower speeds you will find the number will climb over time as the car learns your driving habits. This morning mine said 24 miles fully charged - but I have been really working at maximum range. No climate control and concentrating on full recapture of energy on braking, very easy acceleration, etc. The system probably even takes into consideration the temperature.

Also, remember this is a guess. I have had it tell me that I used 10 miles of range when I have driven 11 as well as the opposite. I am pretty sure I lost a few miles of range sitting in the parking lot the other day because I started the day from my garage, and left work from the outside where it was about 30 degrees cooler. Just a guess. I have already gotten over 21 miles a few times, but it takes practice and concentration. If you drive it like you would a normal car not worrying about how you break, cruise, or take off you mileage will very greatly. If you turn on the climate system your range will drop considerably. 

Hard acceleration and higher cruising speeds drop the power quickly. Tip, use your cruise control to help accelerate. Mine is in ECO mode (not sure how it go in that mode but I like it there) and use the resume function. It will slowly get you back to speed.

I personally am experiencing right at 20-21 EV. I live in the foothills of North Georgia with a 19 mile commute with very steep hills. I have the climate control on in the am for heat and the climate off in the afternoon with the sunroof open. My drive is 90% Highway and set my cruise at about 68mph. Hope this helps...

Also I make sure my headlights are off and not on Automatic since they may come on during sunrise or sunset when visibility is still good.

There is no quick and easy answer to this. I really like the hold mode, for example. Where I can use the energy when I feel I can get the most out of it, like on flat surfaces and coasting. If you drive it like a regular car, I don't think your're going to hit 21. Temperatures also have A LOT to do with it. I had a plugin Prius for a month while they were beta testing them. It's range in optimum conditions was 13 miles. In 20-30 degree temperatures, it was more like 8-9 miles. All of these things, plus your driving habits will factor into this.

If you go to the Cmax Energi Forums you can get a lot useful information there too.  Since they have been out longer, there is  some great info there.  Temperature and Climate control are mile killers.  If you are below 45-50 degrees and have your heat cranked up you can expect almost a 40-50% drop in miles.  

I read that if you set a "go-time" it really helps, because you don't need to use the climate control as much.

And of course I second the comments regarding how you drive the car.

So if I drive it like a normal car, not a hot-rod but just a regular car, with air conditioning when it's hot, what can I expect? Are you early adopters seeing a 10% variation or more like a 50% difference depending on how you drive?

So, for me its fun to maximize everything for range... a game.

I would say at minimum you should learn to "brake" to take advantage of this car. I put brake in quotes because the object is to never use them. If you anticipate your stop and lightly apply pressure to your brake pedal you will actually just use the engine to stop you, and also recapture that energy into your battery. The brake coach will help you figure this out pretty quickly. In fact the coach panel is my favorite while driving in EV mode. (The brake coach will come up no matter what view if you have it turned on.)

The next bit of advice I would have is if you plan to accelerate fairly aggressively then put the car in EV auto mode. It will learn your driving habits and leverage the engine on those starts saving the EV to extend your mileage.

When it gets hotter out, I will let you know what the climate system does to my mileage because no way am I going through a NC Summer with out AC.

Good to hear everyone is getting good numbers too.  I have been getting about 25 miles per charge in RTP (NC).  I am enjoying using the EV miles.  I can basically make it from Durham to Raleigh (to a parking garage) and be at zero (about 28 miles).  So depending on route taken, you can get close to 28 miles if you maximize brake regen, slowly accelerate, and be careful about using too much accessory power.  Weather is good here so windows down is nice.  If its too cold, be sure to precondition your car w/ go times.  That way it is warm before you unplug.  Oh, and heated seats dont seem to use much energy.  Hasn't affected my range.

When it gets hotter out, I will let you know what the climate system does to my mileage because no way am I going through a NC Summer with out AC.

I used to ride motorcyle.  Easy to get used to NC weather  ;)   In fact, windows (and sunroof) open feels great.  Its just those high humidity days that make me roll up windows and pump the A/C due to cabin stagnation  :)

I have 396 miles on ODO and am around 109 MPGe overall average since I got the car.  I have tried to intentionally do a longer drive just to see how the hybrid system works and how the engine feels when battery is completely drained.  I am extremely impressed w/ it as well.  Way better than my old hybrid (2008 Altima).

Has anyone checked to see what their average is when in hybrid mode only?  I am curious what people are seeing here.  I have gotten about 38 MPG (based on 1.5 gallons used).

EnergiManta -- I am impressed, 24 miles is about the most I have been able to do with out the engine kicking in. Now, when it kicks in I am barely burning any fuel but usually I get about 22 miles cruising up and down Davis Drive (Cary to RTP).  I am up to 121 now on MPGe with 335 miles on the ODO. Given your mileage, I am guessing you can charge during the day... Jealous. Maybe I would get a bit more if I did not have a 9 hour break in the middle of the trip.

• 3 weeks later...

my first real drive in a word  superb

Home to National airport DC

26.5 miles. Stop and go traffic on the GW parkway ( so lots of opportunity for regeneration compared to all the ICE drivers who just burned gas)

All EV and arrived at the Chargepoint in the airpoint parking lot with the  gauge reading 2 miles to go.

I am truly and very happily amazed

I got 23.1 this morning, 3 of which were regen miles. I just saw the thread about the ac/compressor, and I believe mine was on, even though the light is off. I need to research this more.

Yes, unless you are in something like Vent mode (or Floor, or Floor/Vent), then you are in Auto mode and the little A/C light is just there for the fun of it, the computer will do what it wants to do with the A/C compressor. 

my first real drive in a word superb

26.5 miles. Stop and go traffic on the GW parkway ( so lots of opportunity for regeneration compared to all the ICE drivers who just burned gas)

All EV and arrived at the Chargepoint in the airpoint parking lot with the gauge reading 2 miles to go.

That's great!

Today I traveled 26.1 EV Now miles before the big battery depleted and the system switched to Hybrid mode. I continued in hybrid mode for another 2.4 miles until I reached my destination, 28.5 miles total.

Trip Summary :

Distance:     28.5 miles

27.2 EV Miles

2.6 Regen miles

Energy Used:        661.1 MPG

0.0 gal          5.8kWh

Brake Score: 98%

I'm assuming the Energy Used reads 661 MPG instead of 999.9 because the engine covered the 1.3 mile difference between the total miles and EV miles. The gallons used reads 0.0 because the amount of gallons used is so small. (28.5 miles / .0431 gal = 661 MPG)

This trip was 7 miles of City and the 21 miles Highway with Eco cruise at 55 except for slower segments with traffic and some stop and go.

Climate was on Vent,

Outside temps in the 60s

Edited by Energized

Yesterday I had my highest battery charge to date, at 28 miles. Normally, when the charge is over 21 miles it drops off pretty quickly but this time it held and I made a 16 mile round trip all in EV Now mode, with the first half of the trip on side roads and the second half on the freeway at 70 mph and AC on. I had 2 miles of battery left when I pulled into the garage. If I was on a motorcycle, I would have bugs on my teeth.

The Energi is a tonic for the weary commute life! 1,200 miles in the three weeks that I've had it and I love it more every day. I left the car in auto mood for the first 1,000 miles to see if it learned my habits and resisted the urge to fiddle with the EV. My commute is 38 miles each way in your classic lousy traffic with occasional stretches of 70 mph. The EV mileage charge started out at 21, then dropped to 16 because it always started out my commute (the fastest part) with EV and ran it until it was depleted. Today, I started "saving the EV for later " use during the stop and go portions and got 26 miles out of it. I only used 0.4 gallons of gas each way. I charged it at work-6 hours to full charge. I feel like I'm driving a video game and want to keep improving my score!

my first real drive in a word  superb

All EV and arrived at the Chargepoint in the airpoint parking lot with the  gauge reading 2 miles to go.

Peter, stop by one of our upcoming events! We need more Fusion Energi's represented in DC/MA/VA!

http://www.mdvolt.org/

The Energi is a tonic for the weary commute life! 1,200 miles in the three weeks that I've had it and I love it more every day. I left the car in auto mood for the first 1,000 miles to see if it learned my habits and resisted the urge to fiddle with the EV. My commute is 38 miles each way in your classic lousy traffic with occasional stretches of 70 mph. The EV mileage charge started out at 21, then dropped to 16 because it always started out my commute (the fastest part) with EV and ran it until it was depleted. Today, I started "saving the EV for later " use during the stop and go portions and got 26 miles out of it. I only used 0.4 gallons of gas each way. I charged it at work-6 hours to full charge. I feel like I'm driving a video game and want to keep improving my score!

I had the same experience with Auto Mode. It used up my EV battery right away on the freeway so I started using EV Later on my longer trips or when on the freeway, with much better results.

I took an 80 mile round trip jaunt the other night using EV late,r once I got on the freeway, but I did not write down the figures. From memory, I got around 46.5 mpge and used a little over 1 gallon of gas. When I got about 4 miles from home, and still on the freeway, I had 8 miles left on my EV battery so I put the car in EV Now and had one mile left on the battery when I turned the car off. I used the ECO cruise set at 70 mph when on the freeway.

I have yet to travel over 100 miles in one trip but I expect the overall mpg's to be less then 38-40 mpg, depending on how fast I am driving and the terrain, and that will be a real drag on my lifetime mpge (which are at about 80 now with 700 miles on the car). That should not be a surprise to anyone, I don't think.

Hi everyone, I am taking delivery of my new Energi this upcoming Monday and I am hearing conflicting reports as to what "mode" I should operate the car in. For the record, I have an 16 mile commute (back and forth) to work and am looking to max out mileage all around so what would be everyone's suggestion? I live in the Detroit area so temperatures will be a factor for sure. 

Hi Sparty -

What has worked for me in those distances is to use the "EV Only" mode. If your commute is stop and go traffic, it will be the best one...if it is highway driving, you might try switching to "Auto" once you are at highway speeds. After about a week or two of driving it will learn your favorite destinations and switch to "EV+ mode" automatically and use only battery power for the last one to two miles.

Other factors will be how steadily you accelerate and how smoothly you brake (be sure to use the coaches) as well as climate control. I just got back today from a 17 mile round trip and stayed electric all the way with air conditioning running and returned with 6 miles left on the Energi battery...and most of it was at highway speeds.

Congrats in the new car...be sure to post some pictures when you get it.

Hey cool, another Michigander.  My commute is 12 miles 'round trip, all surface streets.  If yours is also all surface streets, you should be fine in EV Now.  If your commute contains some highway miles, try it in 'EV Now' and see if you can do the whole thing on batteries.  If not, try EV Auto once you approach the expressway (use the engine so you can get up to speed a bit quicker) and then let it automatically go back to batteries.  Takes less energy to maintain speed than it does to get there.

Hi everyone, I am taking delivery of my new Energi this upcoming Monday and I am hearing conflicting reports as to what "mode" I should operate the car in. For the record, I have an 16 mile commute (back and forth) to work and am looking to max out mileage all around so what would be everyone's suggestion? I live in the Detroit area so temperatures will be a factor for sure. 

Welcome to the boards Spartyof83! At 16 miles you should be able to do EV now pretty comfortably. I got drove 22 miles today on EV running the AC on the way home.

My fresh new Energi showed a charge range of 18 miles this morning after I had driven it home from the dealer last night and fully charged. My actual commute to my office which is 90% highway at 68 MPH, showed I got 22 miles in EV mode. I used auto mode with climate control on auto (54 F outside temp), but I will say I'm a skilled Prius driver so already have experience in hybrid driving. I assumed the same principles apply to EV mode. I believe I got 2 miles from brake regen.

Day 2 update:

I think I understand the specs now. The energi battery has a capacity of 7.6 KwH. When I run the EV mode in "Auto", the car runs purely in EV until 5.5 KwH have been consumed before switching to hybrid mode. Today, this took me to 18.5 miles. The remaining 2 KwH or so let's me run in hybrid mode where I got another 4 miles of EV equivalent miles by the time I got to my office. I needed 3 equivalent miles on gas for the 26 mile commute.

Using this data, if I manually set to EV only mode, I assume it continues to consume battery past 5.5 KwH. Using the same miles/KwH rate, I would have gone another 6.7 miles if I completely drained the battery for a total of just over 25 miles. When Ford said "21 miles on battery", that appears to be a fair statement.

Edited by lokicat