Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Just got my new 2019 FFE but GRRRRRRR!!......

saleen436

What's up all, just picked up my 3rd FFE, pretty much the same ole car but jazzed anytime I can get my hands on a new one.

That said, I came across an issue that's really getting on my nerves and the dealership is giving me a runaround bc they don't know. Here's the deal:

When the car is on, I'm hearing a faint noise that I pinpointed was a cooling fan behind the radio screen, very similar to a laptop fan when that begins to overheat.

Anyone come across this? The issue is that it runs CONSTANTLY and is flat out annoying. Any thoughts??

Appreciate any answers in advance! Happy holidays all :)

Thx for the replies so far...I don't think it has to do with the insulation topic although that was an interesting quick read bc I noticed my back doors had a very hollow cheap sound when closed.

I'm bringing my car in for service this Friday so perhaps I'll have an update for the thread. The main reason I'm bringing it however is that my charger door broke already lol. No longer swings as it should.

Hopefully updates to follow.

• 2 weeks later...

MineYup, mine does it too. Thank God the Sony sound system sounds so good. Happy New Year ?  I'm 6 months in with mine. It's at the dealer now for the 1st time. The sunroof opened by itself while a was open for 8 hrs and would not close when I returned, yikes thank God no rain. I'll keep everybody posed in case anybody else has the same issue. Other than this I really love this car. After 6 months and I have only spent $115.00 for 6 months on fuel ?

Edited by Wolfgang57

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2020 at 3:07 PM, Wolfgang57 said:

MineYup, mine does it too. Thank God the Sony sound system sounds so good. Happy New Year ?  I'm 6 months in with mine. It's at the dealer now for the 1st time. The sunroof opened by itself while a was open for 8 hrs and would not close when I returned, yikes thank God no rain. I'll keep everybody posed in case anybody else has the same issue. Other than this I really love this car. After 6 months and I have only spent $115.00 for 6 months on fuel ?

13 hours ago, muzicman61 said:

Nice! How does that compare to your previous vehicle?  I spent $169 on gas in 2019.  Previously I had spent $550 (2016), $520 (2017), $606 (2018).

$115 and $169 for fuel, plus how much for the electricity?  People love to claim the fuel savings, but forget about the amount they spent on charging.  It's almost assuredly less than the fuel use before, but it's not zero.

My electric bill went up $30-40 per month when I got my Fusion, my gas use went down more than $120 but that is because I was driving a full size pickup truck before.

When I was in Illinois I was paying about 1.9 cents per kWh.  Here in Phoenix I'm paying about 4.7 cents.  So roughly less than a quarter a night.  I typically don't charge on the weekends so I'm probably looking at about $1.25 or less a week or $5 a month.  I agree most people don't take charging into consideration but I still feel like I've saved quite a bit with my Fusion.  Also, MyFordMobile apps claims I've saved 530 gallon of gas which is pretty significant.

A couple of years ago I posted a spreadsheet somewhere here (can't find it, plus I'd improved it since then) that calculated equivalent cost per gallon using a specified ICE mpg and specified charging efficiency.  Using the FFE's sticker of 42 mpg and 22 mi./full charge, and NJ gas prices at the time (maybe $3/gal.?), ~$0.20/kWh was the cutoff where running hybrid became more economical.

That is why the Energi is barely better than a Hybird for me.  In CA I'm paying $3.25/gal at the moment, but electricity is even worse at 25¢/kWh (PG&E electric rates stink).  Factoring in charging losses on 120V, I'm not much better than break-even on EV.  It's maybe 20% cheaper than gas.  But even break-even is worth it for me as my electricity is 100% carbon free, so it costs me nothing to reduce my pollution.

Elec. cost me about  25-30 per month, charging it everyday. I am able to use all electric to commute to and from my job. Fuel here is running about 2.45 a gallon, so that helps too. The sunroof issue was a bad motor, something inside motor was bad. Fixed and all is well. The car is so quiet and comfortable, another plus. My previous vehicle was a F150 with 3.5 Ecoboost. 

Edited by Wolfgang57