Ford Fusion Energi Forum

2014 Energi Replacing HV Battery

rowekmr

• 3 weeks later...

AFAIK, the HV battery is the same from 2013-2018.  Should be plug-n-play.  HOWEVER, if you're putting in a junkyard battery, you might want to have a hybrid battery place take a look at it  (like greentecauto or another local shop in your area - since the forums no longer give that info, I don't know where you are).   They can test the battery and re-balance the cells to ensure it lasts longer.

It's a dangerous thing to do. 

You don't want to get across over 300 volts DC because it will be the last thing you do. 

High voltage DC causes your muscles to lock and you won't be able to let go.

If the junkyard battery hasn't retained its 0.5 kWh protection charge it will be worthless. 

It is very difficult to resurrect a totally discharged Li-Ion battery.

Sorry if I wasn't clear I would have my friend who is a body tech at Ford replace it. He said they wear special gloves and follow a procedure to remove batteries. I was more asking do the batteries interchange with no modifications meaning same size, same harness and will work without special Ford programming or not. My local dealer works on my hybrids and plug in but it appears they don't have a lot of experience so didn't ask them.

I sold car but the cheapest I saw on Ebay was $1500. More than a few were listed on there from salvage yards. I normally get my parts from car-parts.com but couldn't find HV battery so just looked on Ebay.

I would like to know this too since Ford denied my battery warranty, I wouldn't mind putting in a different battery.

How much do the batteries run at the salvage yard.

Edited by rowekmr

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2019 at 3:44 AM, murphy said:

It's a dangerous thing to do. 

You don't want to get across over 300 volts DC because it will be the last thing you do. 

High voltage DC causes your muscles to lock and you won't be able to let go.

If the junkyard battery hasn't retained its 0.5 kWh protection charge it will be worthless. 

It is very difficult to resurrect a totally discharged Li-Ion battery.

There's no dangerous DC voltage anywhere outside the pack until the contactors close. Basic common sense and a cheap set of HV insulated gloves is further assurance.

I've not heard a single instance of Ford replacing batteries for capacity loss. I have heard of them replacing batteries where the pack physically failed, like a dead/open cell in one of the series arrangements. Their warranty verbiage and dealer guidance is worded very carefully to get out of capacity warranty claims. Kinda lame, but at least it's a decent pack to begin with, unlike Nissan.

On another note, $1,500 buys a lot of gasoline for a car that's already nearing its end of useful life. Do the ROI and see if it makes sense. $1,500 is also a nice down payment on a new PHEV.

• 2 months later...

I ended up selling the 2014 Energi to someone who didn't mind the range issues and since acquired another project a 2013 C-Max Energi with a noisy transmission. I just found a 2016 transmission for it and just happened to ask them do they have any HV batteries and they have 2. I also have recently been given back a 2013 Fusion Energi I had got in 2016 and given my parents in in FL in 2017 and its range is now pathetic (10-13) and was looking for any upgrades. Ironically I bought the Ford Premium Care bumper to bumper warranty but it seems it doesn't cover battery degradation and I'd like to get around 20 miles of EV range then I could drive to work and back without ICE operation. I know there's no huge ROI on the dollars spent but it would be more for my convenience and edifice. I might entertain upgrading HV batteries but haven't found one article on it so want to check on things before spending the money.