Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Spike in Estimated E Miles

TVBrain

I've had my Fusion for over a year and a half and I just went over 30k miles.

When charging at home overnight I usually wake to between 17 and 19 miles available for E miles

When charging at work it's 19-21.

All of this on around 6.3-6.5 kWh,

Suddenly those numbers have spiked to 19-22 at home and 22-25 at work.

Anyone else experience this?

I've had my Fusion for over a year and a half and I just went over 30k miles.

When charging at home overnight I usually wake to between 17 and 19 miles available for E miles

When charging at work it's 19-21.

All of this on around 6.3-6.5 kWh,

Suddenly those numbers have spiked to 19-22 at home and 22-25 at work.

Anyone else experience this?

It's a mathematical calculation.  Battery temperature is a big factor.  Are you currently at an ambient temperature that doesn't require heat or air conditioning?  Both of those put a dent in range.

Thank you.

I charge in my garage. I felt I got a few more miles in summer than in winter.

At work I charge in an underground garage.

My home garage is not temperature controlled. I'm not sure if the parking garage at work is. It's just strange that I've already been through all 4 seasons and now as it heads for it's 2nd winter*, the numbers went up. The estimate seems mostly legit too, I'm going further on my drive into work without using gas. 

*What Southern California calls winter.

Thank you.

I charge in my garage. I felt I got a few more miles in summer than in winter.

At work I charge in an underground garage.

My home garage is not temperature controlled. I'm not sure if the parking garage at work is. It's just strange that I've already been through all 4 seasons and now as it heads for it's 2nd winter*, the numbers went up. The estimate seems mostly legit too, I'm going further on my drive into work without using gas. 

*What Southern California calls winter.

It's 38° F here right now and we are only half way through fall.  It was 20° when I got up this morning.

Was in San Diego this weekend. Crazy hot in the sun. Hoodie weather in the shade.

BTW - My car has stopped over estimating my charge mileage. I drove to SD and back without plugging it in so my overall mileage dropped below 70mpg. I had gotten it over 80, so maybe that has something to do with it. While I got close to 100mpg from my last fill-up, I'm under 50 after driving over 300 miles on gas-only.

Makes sense, that car should get in the mid 40s mpg is driven properly at highway speed limit speeds.  If you're going 80 then that's another story, more like in the 30's mpg.

The more hybrid you drive, the less mpg, the more EV the more.  If you average around 70mpg with this car for both, that's about right.  Any higher than that you're using the battery too much in my opinion.

-=>Raja.  

New to the forum. 2017 Energi living-in and commuting-in San Diego. Battery vehicle mileage lags in cooler weather.

I get on average 22-24 miles per charge when the ambient tempature at night is 70 degrees or higher, prior to my morning commute, and sometimes when traffic is heavier I can achieve up to 28 miles on a battery charge.

When the ambient temperature at night is below 60 degrees my battery charge mileage drops to about 15 miles. What can I do if anything about this?

I drive in battery mode on my commute and have never really driven not in battery mode until the battery mileage is exhausted. Is this a best practice?

Before wonking on me for living in San Diego with night temps in the low 50's, I lived in Colorado for over 20 years and shoveled enough snow to last a lifetime!

Battery efficiency drops as the ambient temperature drops below 70° F.  The only way to mitigate that is to keep the car in a garage heated to at least 70° so it isn't cold soaked when you leave.  When the temperature where I live gets below freezing my range drops to 10 miles.  I drive in battery mode most of the time.  I put a couple of gallons of gas in the car once a year.

New to the forum. 2017 Energi living-in and commuting-in San Diego. Battery vehicle mileage lags in cooler weather.

I get on average 22-24 miles per charge when the ambient tempature at night is 70 degrees or higher, prior to my morning commute, and sometimes when traffic is heavier I can achieve up to 28 miles on a battery charge.

When the ambient temperature at night is below 60 degrees my battery charge mileage drops to about 15 miles. What can I do if anything about this?

I drive in battery mode on my commute and have never really driven not in battery mode until the battery mileage is exhausted. Is this a best practice?

Before wonking on me for living in San Diego with night temps in the low 50's, I lived in Colorado for over 20 years and shoveled enough snow to last a lifetime!

Things that might be hurting you:  Heater/defroster use sucks a LOT of juice, at least at first.  If you use "go times" to preheat the car while plugged in and use the heater less while driving, you can reduce that.  Also recommended to only drive EV at below freeway speeds.  Thus drive in 'EV-later' at freeway speeds and 'Auto' or 'EV' at lower speeds.  Especially if your commute is farther than a charge will take you.   HTH