Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Test Drove a Fusion Energi Today

borland

I test drove a Fusion Energi today.  Very nice ride!

My local dealer here in Southern California got two Fusion Energi's in, one is Titanium in platinum white, and the other a SE in sterling grey.  Both had the black color leather interior.  Both are available for sale.

Drove the Titanium for about 3 miles, both on and off the freeway, all miles were in EV mode. Plenty of power in full EV mode. Good visibility and handling too.

Very quite with climate and stereo off.  Only noises I could hear was the tire/road noise.  No noises from the transmission or drive train, except for while coming to a stop, I could hear a faint whine of the regenerative braking kicking in.

When starting from a stop, I could hear a couple clicks up front, then nothing.  Maybe that was a relay or somthing energizing.  Even at a dead stop, the steering wheel has power assist without the engine running.  Overall, very nice and quite.

Trunk is very small. Very disappointing.  The pass through area is obstructed by a large black piece of plastic that seems to be part of the center subwoofer, but extends all the way across. Both the Titanium and SE had this same piece of plastic.  The SE had the standard radio, while the Titanium, the 10 speaker system. So there's only a 2" gap to pass anything through with the rear seats folded.

Interior fit and finish is very nice.  Carpets don't look very plush, but less of a problem getting them dirty.

Trunk space is a big concern for me.

Edited by borland

Thanks for the review - I guess they figured the best they could do in the way of the fold-down seats was to have at least an opening that could fit a hockey stick, 2 x 4, pair of skis, etc... or do you think that opening is not adequate for something like that?

It'll be a tight fit for skis inside the ski bag(safest and most comfortable for the rear passenger)-- only if you can squeeze the skis on one side of the fold down seats or the other.   

I test drove the titanium Energi today. Wow!

It was mostly silent. I loved the get up and go. I liked the handling and the looks.

I did drive one without a moonroof. The drivers side head room was close, but there is more room on the passenger side though. The passenger seat did not raise like the driver side. The back seats are small, but much bigger than the volt. The trunk was a little small, but still could work.

The Energi stayed in EV Now the entire time, even getting on the ramp.

I noticed the interior light housing on the ceiling around the buttons was off placed and popped in and out around the buttons-hopefully just a flaw on this one.  I did not think the blind spot warning was suffice, I would go with the convex mirror instead. The backup camera was fun to use, but may require some getting use too. The turn signal arm did not stay up or down in the way I am used to on other vehicles, so I found the signal staying on and I had to re-correct to turn the signal off.

I posted some pictures. Drove one from Beach ford in Virginia beach.

Meyersnole you may want to look at it.

Edited by FusionEnergi

That would be a little far for me to drive, I am in the Triangle area in NC (Cary to be more precise). I think my local dealer has one (at least that is what the web says). I have driven the Hybrid SE and V6 Titanium. Especially with the reviews popping up from the locals here I am getting more excited that I will have a new car soon.

I was considering getting it before i got there, but they would not budge on the price. Played the we need to drive your trade in again game. Mostly i did not feel at peace over the whole experience. The car interior was dirty and i had it reserved! Now the salesman i got pawned off/traded too was a good guy. Not sure why the first salesperson i had an appointment with handed me over to him though.

That would be a little far for me to drive, I am in the Triangle area in NC (Cary to be more precise). I think my local dealer has one (at least that is what the web says). I have driven the Hybrid SE and V6 Titanium. Especially with the reviews popping up from the locals here I am getting more excited that I will have a new car soon.

Guess im closer to jeff_h then.

I wonder if the piece of plastic is part of the air channeling for the battery cooling system.

The plastic tubes are part of the battery heating/cooling system.

The trunk is actually more useful and larger than I was expecting.  It is nicely finished.  The batteries obviously take up a lot of space compared to the regular hybrid, but the trunk is big enough for me.

I test drove a Fusion Energi today.  Very nice ride!

My local dealer here in Southern California got two Fusion Energi's in, one is Titanium in platinum white, and the other a SE in sterling grey.  Both had the black color leather interior.  Both are available for sale.

Drove the Titanium for about 3 miles, both on and off the freeway, all miles were in EV mode. Plenty of power in full EV mode. Good visibility and handling too.

Very quite with climate and stereo off.  Only noises I could hear was the tire/road noise.  No noises from the transmission or drive train, except for while coming to a stop, I could hear a faint whine of the regenerative braking kicking in.

When starting from a stop, I could hear a couple clicks up front, then nothing.  Maybe that was a relay or somthing energizing.  Even at a dead stop, the steering wheel has power assist without the engine running.  Overall, very nice and quite.

Trunk is very small. Very disappointing.  The pass through area is obstructed by a large black piece of plastic that seems to be part of the center subwoofer, but extends all the way across. Both the Titanium and SE had this same piece of plastic.  The SE had the standard radio, while the Titanium, the 10 speaker system. So there's only a 2" gap to pass anything through with the rear seats folded.

Interior fit and finish is very nice.  Carpets don't look very plush, but less of a problem getting them dirty.

Trunk space is a big concern for me.

Did you end up purchasing a Fusion Energi?

I sat in my first new Fusion today I was very impressed and loved the drak gray :)

Sterling gray is an awesome color.

A salesman notified me today that they just got in a deep blue energi. The vehicle was loaded with all the options, but the sunroof took away the much needed headspace. We loved the looks and we enjoyed getting to drive it.  I have uploaded a few nice photos.

I spoke to my salesman and I know it is going to be worth the wait. We are getting an amazing deal under MSRP!

Edited by FusionEnergi

Our Dealership finally received a load of CMax Energi's.  I drove one for a couple days to check out the powertrain, since it is the same as the Fusion.  I am really impressed.  Since I do most of my driving between the Dealership and Home, my round trip is 19 miles.  I have the luxury of L2 chargers at the dealership also, so my entire commute will be on all EV, which is just awesome.

I really like the "go times" you can set up.  Since I have read that there is a power drain during this process, I set them up 30 minutes prior to driving, so after the car hits 72 degrees inside, the charger will replenish what was lost during this process, and when I get in, it's back to a 100% charge.

Can't wait for my Fusion to get here!

Our Dealership finally received a load of CMax Energi's.  I drove one for a couple days to check out the powertrain, since it is the same as the Fusion.  I am really impressed.  Since I do most of my driving between the Dealership and Home, my round trip is 19 miles.  I have the luxury of L2 chargers at the dealership also, so my entire commute will be on all EV, which is just awesome.

I really like the "go times" you can set up.  Since I have read that there is a power drain during this process, I set them up 30 minutes prior to driving, so after the car hits 72 degrees inside, the charger will replenish what was lost during this process, and when I get in, it's back to a 100% charge.

Can't wait for my Fusion to get here!

It was my understanding that the car will use the power from the charge source to precondition the climate and not the battery, so this should be unnecessary.  Where did you read there is a power drain during that process?

Edited by jposs