Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Is the oil quality monitoring accurate?

Madevilz

I bought a used Ford Energi 2017. Dealer told me an oil change have been made prior to purchase. After delivery, I got no sticker indicating the next maintenance milage, dont even know if they used synthetic or conventional oil. The oil quality on the didsplay shows 92%. Is that reading accurate and can I go by it?

The oil % on the display is just a odometer counter. It counts how many miles (km) since it was last reset, nothing more. It does not monitor the oil quality. It appears yours was reset recently which agrees with what your dealer said.

Thanks. Can I go by the percentage to determine my next oil change? At what % is a change usually needes?

The car will start asking to have the oil changed when it reaches 5%.

The spec for an Energi is 2 years or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first.

The spec for a Hybrid is 1 year or 10,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Both cars are in the same Owner's Manual so pay attention to the paragraph headings when reading it.

• 4 months later...
On 9/4/2019 at 11:22 AM, murphy said:

The car will start asking to have the oil changed when it reaches 5%.

The spec for an Energi is 2 years or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first.

The spec for a Hybrid is 1 year or 10,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Both cars are in the same Owner's Manual so pay attention to the paragraph headings when reading it.

This website says 10K miles? https://www.openbay.com/maintenance/2017-ford-fusion-energi

Did they confuse it with the hybrid?

On 9/3/2019 at 10:18 PM, jsamp said:

The oil % on the display is just a odometer counter.  It counts how many miles (km) since it was last reset, nothing more.  It does not monitor the oil quality.  It appears yours was reset recently which agrees with what your dealer said. 

I thought there were a few other factors that determine oil life beside just miles driven.  I thought I read that one of those factors was hours of ICE usage.

13 hours ago, muzicman61 said:

I thought there were a few other factors that determine oil life beside just miles driven.  I thought I read that one of those factors was hours of ICE usage.

Good point.  I was speaking from the perspective of someone who drives the average 12-15k miles per year.  If you drive well under that like murphy, there are other factors that come into play like time.

On 1/24/2020 at 10:44 AM, murphy said:

It's also based on time. 

My car is coming up on 7 years old but only has 10,000 miles on the odometer.  If it were just the odometer I would only have dropped to 50% instead of hitting 5% every 2 years.

My ICE is hardly ever used.  I bring the gas tank back up to 1/4 tank once a year.

I hope you fill with ethanol-free gas.  Or use Sta-Bil or something similar.

I had such gunk in the injectors in an old Alfa that had the same gas in the tank for over a year (and hadn't been run for ~6 months) that the injectors couldn't be cleaned and had to be replaced.  I also have a motorcycle sitting in the garage which I haven't yet tackled with similar clogging of the fuel system.

Before the ethanol gas mandate, a vehicle could sit for 5 years or so with little fuel system gunking.