Ford Fusion Energi Forum

2013 Fusion Hybrid won't start ... "Run Power Active"

MacinTek

Just replaced the DC inverter because batter wasn't charging. Now, it won't start and I get the dreaded "Run Power Active", press brake and touch Start button warning. I tried resetting by disconnecting the 12V battery overnight but that didn't help. It's my brother's car but he's a retired chef, not a mechanic so I'm lasso'd into trying to get the rolling robot car running again. Any ideas? I've seen this is a common occurrence with these Ford hybrids but I can't find any definitive solutions short of shelling out non-existent money to a Ford dealer to put right what should never have gone wrong.

I replaced the DC inverter because I was told that it's what acts as the alternator for the 12V battery. I replaced the battery before because it would drain overnight. Then the car drained the new battery, so I was told to replace the DC inverter. I did that and now, the "Run Power Active" message comes on and it won't start.

Are you suggesting that a new battery like the one I installed two weeks ago might be a bad egg and this would cause the "Run Power Active" error?

No, but if the DC to DC converter is bad the battery would run down to zero.  That is enough to cause material to flake off of the plates which if done enough and the material reaches the bottom of the plates it will short out the cell.

No, but if the DC to DC converter is bad the battery would run down to zero.  That is enough to cause material to flake off of the plates which if done enough and the material reaches the bottom of the plates it will short out the cell.

Well, that was the symptom before this fiasco... Then, I replaced the DC inverter and that's when I started getting "Run Power Active" problems.

Do the brake lights come on when you step on the brake to start?  Possible defective brake switch.

Another thing that comes to mind - is the safety disconnect to the high voltage battery connected and secure?  Not sure what symptoms the car would have if that were tripped, but something to check on.

Just tossing some quick check things out there.