Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Fusion Energi or Fusion Hybrid: Which is for you?

robertlane

I have a 2010 FFH with 20,000 miles and it has been trouble free. 35 MPG overall. $2,400 overall fuel savings vs the Edge it replaced. Extremely happy with the vehicle and will likely get another FFH or Linclon MKX Hybrid in 2013. Once I see the prices, that will help me determine is the Energi is worth considering (including the price of the charging station).

I have a 2010 FFH and I have averaged 43 mpg in the 18 months of ownership. My lowest tank was 40.3 mpg and high was 55.8, I would go for the energi in a heart beat, but I paid cash for mine and I don't want to lose all that money. Like my wife said as soon as we get one they improve so ours is old news. My question is why didn't they go this route first. I'm sure I could get over 500mpg average in the energi without a doubt in my mine.

You know how it is, ya only have the latest & greatest till the next model year - as for me if the Energi is priced 35 K or less I'll consider it (Ford could low-ball the price in order to capture market share) I have a like new Fusion hybrid that gets a measured 41 MPG, I'm a happy camper, don't need a new one, not at first anyway ;)

• 1 month later...

Only interested in PHV price will be a key factor.

Plug in is great but a plain hybrid is much better than a normal Fusion and gets double and better the mileage of gas 4cyl or 6cyl. I will never go back to none hybrid vehicle, I'm not a tree hugger just know a good thing when I see it. The arguments against hybrid are all baseless and very mis leading. Ford should do something about all the dealers that down talk the hybrids just so they can sell a vehicle. I had problems with very bad sales people at both Ford and Toyota dealers. I walked out at two dealers because of false and misleading information. I would get my wife all into the hybrid idea only to have sales people talk her out of it. Now she is extremely happy with her 40+ in town mileage and not getting gas some times for months. This tank is pushing 700 miles with 1/4 tank remaining.

Plug in is great but a plain hybrid is much better than a normal Fusion and gets double and better the mileage of gas 4cyl or 6cyl. I will never go back to none hybrid vehicle, I'm not a tree hugger just know a good thing when I see it. The arguments against hybrid are all baseless and very mis leading. Ford should do something about all the dealers that down talk the hybrids just so they can sell a vehicle. I had problems with very bad sales people at both Ford and Toyota dealers. I walked out at two dealers because of false and misleading information. I would get my wife all into the hybrid idea only to have sales people talk her out of it. Now she is extremely happy with her 40+ in town mileage and not getting gas some times for months. This tank is pushing 700 miles with 1/4 tank remaining.

Am I wrong in my assumption that the fusion PHV (Plug in HYBRID Vehicle) will operate as a regular hybrid when your battery is depleted? I also believe it will get well over 100 MPE???

Am I wrong in my assumption that the fusion PHV (Plug in HYBRID Vehicle) will operate as a regular hybrid when your battery is depleted? I also believe it will get well over 100 MPE???

You are right it has a larger battery amount other things but it still has a gas engine for charging while driving. I'm sure it will be easy to get over 100 mpg. Price will be the make or breaker, unless gas gets extremely expensive. The Volt is far over priced or I would have one, but not feasible at that cost. Tax credits are great but you still have to finance the total cost which is a deal breaker for most people.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The pricing will be interesting. We've yet to see the C-Max Energi's pricing, which will a key indicator here. It's also interesting to note that the C-Max will only come in hybrid versions ONLY! Either the C-Max Hybrid or C-Max Energi.

CMax is clocking in at about $33K... so I really believe the FFE will probably end up around $40K when it's all said and done.. which will be out of my price range...

Only interested in PHV price will be a key factor.

My tune has changed... I'm now looking at a '13 FFH for next year (if things work out for us financially).. as I suspect the Energi will be too rich for me...

My next car will at least be a Hybrid if not a PHV...

Edited by coach81

• 4 weeks later...

As with anything it will come down to price. They will not be able to get anything close to $7K more for the Energi for one basic reason: it won't save you that much money. The FFHE has an all elec range of 20 miles. At $4/gal gas, that will save you ~$1 per day. Assuming you drive the 20 miles EVERY day, you will only recoup $365 per year. That means in 5 years (a long payback) you will only recoup ~$1800. Thus the price of the Energi should be <$2K more than the std Hybrid. However, there are currently tax incentives that will skew that number, because the car makers will price so that YOU pay the $2K difference AFTER the tax credits. With a $3750 Fed tax credit for the Energi, that difference grows to $5750. So Ford could conceiveably price the Energi that much above the Hybrid price. Now look at the C-Max pricing. Lo-and-behold the MSRP on the Hybrid is $27,995 and the Energi is $33,745. The difference: $5750. Big surprise. I would expect the Fusion Energi to have the same premium over the std Hybrid. Correction: the C-Max is $25,995. I had the Fusion price by mistake. So there is still an unexplained $2000 premium on the Energi. The payback for that is well over 5 years unless you do a lot of under 20-mile trips and plug in multiple times a day. State tax incentives also affect this. For CA there is a $1500 incentive on top of the Fed one.

Edited by jsamp

• 1 month later...

It depends on whether you can maximize the rebates. The Energi qualifies for a $3750 fed rebate, plus La. offers up to $3000 in state rebates. The caveat being these are tax rebates, so if you don't have that big a tax liability, you can't get that much back. If you can score $6750, it would be totally worth it since the Energi vs Hybrid price difference is likely to be the same as the C-Max ($7700). In essence, you're only paying $1000 for the extra batteries to get the 20 mile range.

People in other states aren't so lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

It depends on whether you can maximize the rebates. The Energi qualifies for a $3750 fed rebate, plus La. offers up to $3000 in state rebates. The caveat being these are tax rebates, so if you don't have that big a tax liability, you can't get that much back. If you can score $6750, it would be totally worth it since the Energi vs Hybrid price difference is likely to be the same as the C-Max ($7700). In essence, you're only paying $1000 for the extra batteries to get the 20 mile range.

People in other states aren't so lucky.

I wonder why certain states would quality for the Energi when others don't? I can understand the Feds offering a deal.