Ford Fusion Energi Forum

12V battery disconnected manual release not available.

JHoward

I cannot open my trunk. to install new battery. While replacing 12V Battery, my trunk was shut with no battery connected. I can not see the manual release either  1 it broken or 2. due to the small access due to the hybrid battery pack taking up so much space. Is there a way to open the trunk. I was thinking maybe an alternate power source. Or get it towed to a dealer and pay an arm and a leg. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Connect a 12 volt battery to the jumper terminals under the hood on the driver's side of the car..  Positive has a red flexible cover.  Negative is a bolt sticking up out of the shock tower.

For the future tie a thin rope to the emergency release in the trunk and put the other end behind the passenger side rear seat back.

With the battery disconnected the engine loses its operating parameters.  It takes up to 25 miles of driving for it to relearn them.  It had to do that when the car was new.

Edited by murphy

Thanks for the info. I did hook my battery charger up like you state above. No luck. I think because there is no connection in the trunk the circuit is not made.

You must use a battery, not a battery charger.  Most modern battery chargers must see 12 volts before they turn on.

I always connect a battery under the hood before replacing the battery in the trunk to keep the car alive.  That requires extra precautions in the trunk to keep the positive lead from touching any metal.

Is the positive lead in the trunk insulated from touching any metal? If not, your only option is to use something long with a hook on the end to grab the emergency release handle.

Edited by murphy