Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Degradation - 54k Mi. 16 mi. range (no heat or ac) Is this a warranty item?

board drafter

This is for model year 2014 FFE: As noted in the title, my 21-24 miles of total ev range has been down to 16 or 17 (apples to apples with no heat or ac on and late spring comparison) during the last 12 months. I hear the dealer is very dodgy when dealing with in-warranty battery replacements due to degradation. What do you all think? I use 220v home charger and usually run battery to empty.

Empty on the display is not empty for the battery.  That is where hybrid mode starts.  There is only one battery.  It is a 7.6 kWh battery.

EV mode                5.6 kWh

Hybrid mode          1.5 kWh

Battery protection  0.5 kWh

It is not possible to run the battery down to zero.

When the ambient temperature is below freezing I typically get about 10 miles.  It must be at least 70° F for me to get 21 miles out of the battery.  It must be 70° long enough for the entire battery to be at 70°.

What was the temperature during your tests?

This is for model year 2014 FFE: As noted in the title, my 21-24 miles of total ev range has been down to 16 or 17 (apples to apples with no heat or ac on and late spring comparison) during the last 12 months. I hear the dealer is very dodgy when dealing with in-warranty battery replacements due to degradation. What do you all think? I use 220v home charger and usually run battery to empty.

This sounds like pretty typical degradation.  The reason the dealer is dodgy is because Ford pretty much refuses to do replacements due to degradation.  They only replace a failed battery.  Unless you have a failed cell or module, you're stuck.  It's no consolation, but you are in good company here on this site.  Many report the same in their Energi's.  How many miles do you have on your Energi and what % of those were EV?

Recent temps and basis for my comparisons have been spring and early summer around 75 in morning to 85 in afternoons. If it’s normal then I guess I’m ok with it. The car has been a good one for the last three years. I don’t mean I run battery to “zero”, rather that I don’t really try to baby the battery any. Thanks for everyone’s advice,