Ford Fusion Energi Forum

2019 kWh test

jsamp

So I'm interested in hearing from any of the new 2019 Energi owners what you get when you do "the test" from a full charge.  Us lowly 2018 and older folks get ~5.6 kWh at best, and I would assume you can do somewhere close to 7.0kWh but I'd like confirmation.  The test goes like this:

1. Charge to 100%

2. Set a Trip Odometer to zero.

3. Drive in EV only until just past 0% (by the center screen) where the car switches from EV mode to hybrid mode (it will lock you out of EV mode at this point). 

4. Note the kWh used up to that point on the trip odometer, and the miles traveled.

I think on the 19's the battery gauge shows % charge until zero, then switches to 100% again for the hybrid portion.  This would be the same point as above in step 3.  This test will be somewhat dependent on temperature.  You will net the highest result at ~72°F.  Also, if you are trying to maximize mileage, keep it under 50MPH and don't use heat/AC.

Let us know what you get.

Edited by jsamp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did another test today against what the trip meter reported and compared it to what MyFordMobile reports. I'm also including specific details about the driving conditions. Here are the results:

The test was spread out over four separate trips but they were all 100% EV with no climate control use and temps in the upper 70s to low 80s.

I did not test from a freshly reset trip meter. Instead I just took the current trip meter readings at the beginning of the test and then again end of the test. At the beginning of my day my odometer was at 3406 and kWh usage read 83.9kWh on the trip meter. I ended my test when the "+0" disappeared from DTE on the right hand display. When it disappeared my odometer was at 3440.5 and kWh usage was at 91.2kWh. This comes out to 34.5 EV miles traveled using 7.3kWh.

Tires were at 40 PSI cold all around. Traffic was light to wide open for all trips.

Trip 1 was a 23.5 mile trip from home to work, 19 of which were on the highway which includes accelerating to 61 mph and then setting cruise at that speed. The city portion was all 35 mph or less. Elevation at the start of this trip was 441 ft ASL and ends at 141 ft ASL.

Trip 2 and 3 were a 0.8 mile trip to lunch and 0.9 mile trip back to work, both less than 30 mph and elevation change of 40 ft down one way and 40 ft up on the return.

Trip 4 was my drive home of which I made it about 9.3 miles before running out of plug-in power. The first 2.4 miles are flat road at 35 mph or less and the remaining is accelerating to 61 mph on the highway and then set cruise. The remaining 6.9 miles of highway had two uphill climbs resulting in about 150 ft elevation increase.

The trip meter results for kWh usage don't exactly match up to MFM but it is very close. According to MFM:

Trip 1 used 4.6kWh

Trip 2 used 0.1kWh

Trip 3 used 0.2kWh

Trip 4 used 2.2kWh

Totaling 7.1kWh used according to MFM vs 7.3kWh used according to the trip meter.

Edited by Dave_G