Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Upgrading to Larger Wheel/Tires

Energized

• 4 weeks later...

I talked to Ford (their 800#) regarding wheels.. they, of course, said any modifications to the car they could not warranty the result. But they finally escalated it and I got the answer that the reason the 17"s were only offered is that the 17" tires they get are low rolling resistance - they don't have low rolling resistance tires available for the 18". I then when to the Ford dealer and talked to guy there, who said he probably thought is was a supply decision - only to have their suppliers supply the lower rolling resistance tires for 17" rims since they are only used on the Energi. That said, I ordered so take-off 18" 235 45R18's from Ebay from a Hybrid - Chrome.  Since I mostly drive around town in all-electric mode it will be hard to see if there is any difference in Gas Mileage.. I'm keeping the original 17's for awhile just in case....

So, the Fusion Hybrid 18" wheel options do not include low rolling resistance tires?  I would have thought they would and if they are acceptable to Ford engineers on the FFH, I don't know why they wouldn't be acceptable on the FFE.  I'm seriously thinking about seeing if a dealer will swap 18" like you have from a FFH SE in order to seal the deal, since the standard wheel on the FFH SE is the exact same wheel the FFE has but I don't want to adversely affect the mileage or anything else.  How do you like yours so far?  Personally I think the 17" standard FFE wheels look like crap.

• 3 months later...

19" H-spoke Wheels

So, the Fusion Hybrid 18" wheel options do not include low rolling resistance tires?  I would have thought they would and if they are acceptable to Ford engineers on the FFH, I don't know why they wouldn't be acceptable on the FFE.  I'm seriously thinking about seeing if a dealer will swap 18" like you have from a FFH SE in order to seal the deal, since the standard wheel on the FFH SE is the exact same wheel the FFE has but I don't want to adversely affect the mileage or anything else.  How do you like yours so far?  Personally I think the 17" standard FFE wheels look like crap.

I will be swapping out the standard 17x7.5 Energi wheels and 225/50R17 Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires with 19x8 H-spoke wheels and 235/40R19 Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires.  The Primary is a Green X (LRR).  Both wheels have a 55mm offset.  I picked up the wheels on eBay for $800 and the tires ($222 each) are will be installed at Discount Tire.  Since I bought the Energi for the HOV stickers, I don't care too much about any MPG hit.  I am strictly trying to improve the look of the vehicle.  In fact, I would have stayed with the 17" setup if I could find a similar 5-spoke OEM wheel.  I went with the 235 tire width that would reduce the sidewall height by only 0.7" to maintain ride comfort.  I like the ride quality with the 17" tires.  In fact, I have friends who drive Tesla Model S and they say the 19" tire is the best setup for rid comfort and MPGe and a few have downgraded from the 21" option.  With the overall tire diameter being 13 mm (2%) taller and the wheel width 0.5" wider, the wheelwell will be filled out by extra 7mm.  When speedometer reads 60mph (96.6km/h) actual speed will be 61.2mph (98.5km/h): 2% faster.  Unsprung weight will increase by 24lbs (6lbs per corner).

Edited by bfukumoto

standard 17x7.5 Energi wheels and 225/50R17 Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires

Mine came with Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max in 225/50R17. I did a little research and found that these Goodyears come with a 65,000 mile warranty. Neat! 

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Assurance+Fuel+Max&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=25VR7AFM&tab=Sizes

• 1 month later...