Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Upgrading to Larger Wheel/Tires

Energized

Maybe.

I find it odd that there are no wheel options for the energi. I would want to talked to a trained mechanic first.

Unsprung weight can have a significant affect on performance, even if the speedometer is not affected. You will lose efficiency going to the 18s. There is also a significant jump in price for that tire size (the 18s)

Due to the low volume of the Fusion Energi, I'm guessing that they can only make one wheel design without options.  As someone else posted, these are special, light weight wheels.

My dealer told me he could switch my wheels with any one they offer on the Fusion despite it not being an option.  I just have to decide if I think it's worth it or not.

They'll probably swap them off of something else on the lot.

Another consideration that I thought of while discussing my car with a friend is that as you decrease the sidewall the capacity to carry load decreases. That battery has some significant weight to it. This came up in the conversation around I hope that the rear suspension will last due to all that extra weight. I bet that plays a role in the discussion.

It would make sense why the Hybrid can still have different sized wheels while the energi is limited to 17s, as it has a much smaller battery. Still guessing though. Having the car, I do not hate the wheels at all -- they actually go kinda nice on the car. Given that I will barely be using the brakes, there should not be a lot of dust on them so hopefully they wont be a PITA to keep clean looking.

IIRC the extra battery size is only 300 pounds more. So, 1 American adult male  ;) in the back seat. Guessing a number for the extra weight of 4 wheels, MAYBE 40-50 pounds more if they're really that much heavier. There isn't enough room in the truck for a body on the Energi without a lot of mess. Dexter (Showtime) will be sticking with his Ford Escape for now... We'd have to pin down a Fusion product manager or lead or something to find out the real Ford reason.

EDIT: battery weight 300

Edited by shaggy314

Meyersnole, can you verify the size of your tires? 225's or 235's?

P225/50/R17

Looking at the technical specs for the hybrid and energi, there is almost exactly 300 pounds difference between the cars. (3,615 vs 3,913 lbs) then add the additional unsprung weight (greater affect) and you have some numbers that you might be concerned with.

It would be nice if they put out an explanation on why the choice is limited. Even if it is just this is a low production car and we don't want to do it.  Just remember that if you change the specs and something fails that they can absolve themselves from the problem.

I'm supposed to pick up my Energi tomorrow or Thursday.  My dealer reiterated that I can switch out the wheels with another Fusion they have if I want.  I understand that 19" might drastically effect everything, but still don't understand why 18" would be a problem when you can get those with a Hybrid.  I'll have to decide when I see which ones they have.

Funny though that on the power distribution screen it has a picture of your car with the 19" wheels on it.  At least the SYNC programmer knew it would look better with those wheels on it :)

So true, but, if I change the wheels out on my car they are going to be the same size and very close in weight to the original wheel...just better looking.

Advantage Ford in Duarte.  My only two rules were they had to be on a vehicle they had in stock, and they had to be on a car that the Energi's 17" wheels were an option.  IE, it had to be either the 18" 5 spokes from the Hybrid or the 18" multi spokes from the Hybrid.  They only had the 5 spokes in stock when I got mine so that was my only real option.  I like the look but decided against it.

Did you ask about the weight difference between the Energi wheels and the SE 5-spoke wheels? If the Energi wheels are lighter, that's a good reason not to make the switch. But otherwise, I might have done it, since the 5-spokes look so much better (IMO).

I don't know if this issue has been broached yet when considering larger wheels. I was just reading the owners manual, while looking for where the ambient lighting controls are, and ran across a note on page 67 that says modifying the vehicle ride height (eg, using much larger tires) may degrade the performance of the Automatic High Beam feature.

There is a camera sensor centrally mounted behind the windshield of the vehicle that monitors conditions continuously to decide when to switch the high beams off and on.

One more thing to consider.

I never did find the ambient lighting controls though.

You mean this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFeeZixCzig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj4oQ2CvALU

Just ignore the crap about lights being in your cup holders, Ford dropped that from our Fusions...  :-(

Yeah that's it. I finally found the instructions on the very last page of the quick reference book that came with the car but not in the owner's manual. Set the lighting last night.

Advantage Ford in Duarte.  My only two rules were they had to be on a vehicle they had in stock, and they had to be on a car that the Energi's 17" wheels were an option.  IE, it had to be either the 18" 5 spokes from the Hybrid or the 18" multi spokes from the Hybrid.  They only had the 5 spokes in stock when I got mine so that was my only real option.  I like the look but decided against it.

Can I get the name of the sales person you used please?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I talked to Ford (their 800#) regarding wheels.. they, of course, said any modifications to the car they could not warranty the result. But they finally escalated it and I got the answer that the reason the 17"s were only offered is that the 17" tires they get are low rolling resistance - they don't have low rolling resistance tires available for the 18". I then when to the Ford dealer and talked to guy there, who said he probably thought is was a supply decision - only to have their suppliers supply the lower rolling resistance tires for 17" rims since they are only used on the Energi. That said, I ordered so take-off 18" 235 45R18's from Ebay from a Hybrid - Chrome.  Since I mostly drive around town in all-electric mode it will be hard to see if there is any difference in Gas Mileage.. I'm keeping the original 17's for awhile just in case....

FusionRims1

FusionRims1