Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Cold Weather warm up

boilermonkey

ON my existing Ford Fusion Hybrid the car runs for 5-10 minutes in cold weather to warm up the engine and battery pack before going into EV mode in the winter.  What does the Energi do in cold weather?  I would hope that it would deplete the batter for 1-15 miles before going through this process in case it is a short trip.  Otherwise if it must warm up for 5-10 minutes like the existing hybrid the Energi would be a waste in cold weather.

When I was reading articles and watching videos on the Focus EV, I think there was mention of ensuring max range by turning on the car and HVAC while it was still plugged in and have it get to desired climate before leaving, then the energy needed to get to desired climate doesn't take away from the HV battery right from the start.  I wonder if the Energi might have the same type recommendatiion.  I think the HVAC for the Energi might be electric (or a mix?) instead of just from the ICE?  Below is from page 153 of the Owner's Manual for the 2013 Fusion Hybrid.. and from the many mentions in there about the Energi I assume it's a combined manual.

Q: Why does the engine sometimes start at key-on?

A: The vehicle's computer will determine if an engine start is required at key-on. Silent key start will start the engine if it is necessary for cabin heating, windshield defrost, or if the outside temperature is low. (For Fusion Energi vehicles, engine on is not required to operate these functions.)

I have the cmax energi but believe the systems to be the same.

If you don't care about cabin temp (use seat heaters), the engine will NOT start as long as you leave the climate control "off".  This has been true down to at least 20F.  Thus you can use your EV range on short trips without starting the ICE (assuming you use EV now or are gentle on gas pendal).

Once its below about 40, if you start the climate, the engine starts right away.

If you remote start it in the garage, it can start the ICE, risking CO poisoning if door is closed.  If you want to remote start in garage with door shut, wait for the myfordmobile app.  Personally I don't like a car running ICE in the garage even with the door open.

Once the app is present concern is that the 5kw heater will drain the ev battery even if the car is plugged in (1450w from 120v or 3.3kw from 240v) but at least engine won't start.

5kw heater heats the water, not the air, so there is a delay before heat comes out.