Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Charger shows red triangle with a exclamation mark and will not charge the car

ovi1984

We just purchased a ford fusion energi and the charger works only sometimes . A red triangle with a exclamation mark  will show and will not charge the car. I need to unplug and plug back the wall plug for the charger to work again. The car has almost 40.000 Miles.

The I called the dealer and they told me the charger is not covered by the warranty.

Any suggestions ? 

Edited by jeff_h

Try a different outlet. 

Have an electrician check the problem outlet for loose wires at the outlet and at the circuit breaker.  Is this a direct feed outlet, that is is it the only outlet on the circuit breaker?  The car draws 12 amps while charging which negates anything else using that circuit.

The wires at the outlet MUST be wrapped around the screws.  Inserting them into the quick connect slots is only suitable for powering a table lamp.

It is unlikely that there is anything wrong with the EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment).  It is doing its job of detecting a problem with the incoming power.  What you called a charger is an EVSE.  The charger is built into the car.

If you need to make multiple trips per day from home a 240 volt, 16 amp EVSE is much more convenient since it can charge the battery in two hours instead of 6 hours.  That would require a dedicated 240 volt 20 amp circuit.

If you've tried your EVSE in multiple places with the same faults, the problem lies with the unit.  You can replace it with another Ford one, or you can buy a 3rd party one, such as ones offered by Clipper Creek.  If your car is still within the factory bumper to bumper, then the unit should be covered.  I don't believe the EVSE is treated as an accessory - it is a part of the car and comes with the car.  It isn't a dealer add-on or anything like that.

As mentioned above... you can get a clipper creek model for half that money. https://store.clippercreek.com/level1

Or if you wanted to upgrade to level 2, https://store.clippercreek.com/level2, it would be about the same money but you would probably have to add additional wiring to your garage to accommodate the charger. 

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm having problem with my charger too. It doesn't show the red triangle but it won't charge. The car keeps telling me that it had a fault. I tried to plug it in to different outlets and it still won't charge. I took it in to my dealership and they were able to charge it on their charger. Is there a fix for this or will I need a new charger( EVSE)? Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Frequent failures of your "convenience cord" may mean the cord is bad. Ford covers hybrid components for 8 years/100k...the cord (EVSE) counts as part of the hybrid system and should be covered under warranty. My EVSE is now failing (red flashing triangle) so I'm about to find out if Ford will be cooperative or not. Will update soon!

Frequent failures of your "convenience cord" may mean the cord is bad. Ford covers hybrid components for 8 years/100k...the cord (EVSE) counts as part of the hybrid system and should be covered under warranty. My EVSE is now failing (red flashing triangle) so I'm about to find out if Ford will be cooperative or not. Will update soon!

Go to the NHTSA web site and enter the VIN of your vehicle.  There is a recall of the "convenience cord" for 2013 to 2015 vehicles.  I don't know if there was a cut off during the 2015 model year.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Go to the NHTSA web site and enter the VIN of your vehicle.  There is a recall of the "convenience cord" for 2013 to 2015 vehicles.  I don't know if there was a cut off during the 2015 model year.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

And per the recall information sheet, the following serial numbers are being recalled:

• FM58-10B706-AA
  • FM58-10B706-AB
  • FM58-10B706-AC
  • FM58-10B706-AD
  • FM58-10B706-AE
  • FM58-10B706-AF

Mine is AG but is also experiencing the red triangle fault on multiple occasions.  Very frustrating.

And per the recall information sheet, the following serial numbers are being recalled:

• FM58-10B706-AA
  • FM58-10B706-AB
  • FM58-10B706-AC
  • FM58-10B706-AD
  • FM58-10B706-AE
  • FM58-10B706-AF

Mine is AG but is also experiencing the red triangle fault on multiple occasions.  Very frustrating.

Mine is also AG and get the red triangle fault at times too.