Ford Fusion Energi Forum

2013 Ford Fusion Energi: 21 Miles Of Electric Range From Plug-In Hybrid

Tucker

A good article but a little misleading on the Toyota Prius plug-in hybrid price. The article quotes the price for the stripped down model which starts at $32,980 but the Prius Advanced, which has options similar to the Energi (but not as many available), starts at $40,285 MSRP. That seems a little more real world to me. 

I'm really shocked at the 115MPGe from the Accord, especially with only 13 miles in all electric.

Smaller battery, shorter range, lighter car, better economy after EV is depleted...

Will have to wait for a true real world comparo on these.

I still think the Volt is the best for $$$ savings, but the Fusion has the best combination of practicality, economy and styling.

I'm really shocked at the 115MPGe from the Accord, especially with only 13 miles in all electric.

Smaller battery, shorter range, lighter car, better economy after EV is depleted...

Will have to wait for a true real world comparo on these.

I still think the Volt is the best for $$$ savings, but the Fusion has the best combination of practicality, economy and styling.

I am surprised at the 115 also.  I said this in another thread, but the 115 MPGe coupled with their 6.7kWh battery should give them the same range as the Energi (100MPGe and 7.6kWh battery).  It appears Honda is not utilizing the battery as much as Ford is.  Seems like a waste to add all that weight (and cost) if you're not gonna use it all.

I think the Energi is going to be a Huge hit, I have seen several 2013 Hybrids and many 2013 standard fusions. It's the best thing thus far since sliced bread. I just hope it has LoGack!!! Good thing most of us are going to be parking em in our garage. ;)

Edited by FusionEnergi

• 1 month later...
Word from Ford is that you can go over 21miles if you stay in EV now and drive in the city. Watch this stream to learn more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJiFOdRik0Q

I am pretty confident you will be able to get over 21 miles in the right conditions... unfortunately on my first commute to work and back I did not make it completely there and back... at about 2 miles short. Going to have to try it again tomorrow. (Think I got 20 electric miles today -- not bad as I did have a couple bad stops with lights turning on me not allowing a good regen stop).

Another thing I am noticing is that the range on my car is going down during the day sitting in the parking lot. I left it this morning with 12 miles showing on the range and got in it tonight displaying 10. Lost 2 miles sitting!

However, I am 101.9 MPGe lifetime over the 260 miles on the odo! Very pleased with that.

Another thing I am noticing is that the range on my car is going down during the day sitting in the parking lot. I left it this morning with 12 miles showing on the range and got in it tonight displaying 10. Lost 2 miles sitting!

However, I am 101.9 MPGe lifetime over the 260 miles on the odo! Very pleased with that.

102 MPGe is pretty darned good meyersnole. I hope to be comparing notes with you by next week sometime. And I hope I can find that 2 miles you lost too.

Edited by pluggedin

I really like the software that Ford put into the dash.  I love the brake coach, and also the screen that shows brake, acceleration, and cruising efficiency. I use to drive very aggressively, but now get nearly the same fun by maximizing my "score" on efficiency. I think my wife thinks I am a little nuts. :shift:

It may be taking into account that as the car sits there is some drain on the 12 volt battery.  When you turn the car on it will have to use energy from the "big" battery to top off the 12 volt battery.

Does the phrase "Start the car" have any meaning with a car that can go 21 miles without using the ICE?

I really like the software that Ford put into the dash.  I love the brake coach, and also the screen that shows brake, acceleration, and cruising efficiency. I use to drive very aggressively, but now get nearly the same fun by maximizing my "score" on efficiency. I think my wife thinks I am a little nuts. :shift:

meyersnole, in general, are you using the ICE to get the car rolling and then let EV take over from there? I think I remember reading that tip somewhere.

meyersnole, in general, are you using the ICE to get the car rolling and then let EV take over from there? I think I remember reading that tip somewhere.

Actually I am close enough to work to where I can stay EV the whole way, so I am trying to avoid running ICE all together. Today I ended up taking a trip to the dealer (for nothing it turns out) and then out to lunch, and then home. So I burned a little gas and brought my lifetime down to 110 MPGe.

Seems like it would be hard to deploy that technique anyway, as you would have to force ICE to start with EV Later, then go to Auto or EV Now at every light. If that was a good practice then you would think that EV Auto would do that as a normal operation.

I spoke with my dealer and he is going to only give us half a tank per our request, then when we want the other half we can just stop by to get it. I want to see how much fuel we use. If we keep it in EV mode 99 percent of the time the fuel would just be added weight to the vehicle. Our total trip is 15 miles atleast twice a day. Thats why we decided to get the 240volt charger installed, we are usually home about 2 hours between trips.

Seems like it would be hard to deploy that technique anyway, as you would have to force ICE to start with EV Later, then go to Auto or EV Now at every light. If that was a good practice then you would think that EV Auto would do that as a normal operation.

So far on my commute, in EV AUTO mode, until I run out of my electric charge, the only time it kicks in the gas engine is on one hill I have to go up where I'm working the pedal pretty hard.  Otherwise, it might as well be in EV NOW mode the whole charge.

Edited by yojroz

So far on my commute, in EV AUTO mode, until I run out of my electric charge, the only time it kicks in the gas engine is on one hill I have to go up where I'm working the pedal pretty hard.  Otherwise, it might as well be in EV NOW mode the whole charge.

I think if you keep it in EV Auto, that over time it will learn your route and become more efficient with it. If you have enough charge to make it the whole way then it will probably keep that behavior.  At least that is the way I understand it is suppose to work.

I think if you keep it in EV Auto, that over time it will learn your route and become more efficient with it. If you have enough charge to make it the whole way then it will probably keep that behavior.  At least that is the way I understand it is suppose to work.

By the learning your route, I assume you're talking about the EV+?  Yesterday was the first time I saw EV+ pop up when I was in EV auto mode and running solely on EV.  I believe EV+ is designed to learn your route and save some electric power til you get close to your destination then attempt to solely use it all then.  What's interesting is that I noticed before EV+ came up that I was using less EV driving than usual, then as I got closer to home I ran EV longer than usual.  So I assume it's storing some extra up to use as you get closer. However, I don't really know if this was any different than just running as much EV as possible the whole way rather than storing for a while, then using.  I will say that I seemed to have less EV driving overall with the EV+ than usual.  I might consider turning it off.  I like how the EV Auto works, but I'm not sold on EV+ yet.

Edited by yojroz

I am glad that I am getting good range off the battery, at least in this weather, I am sure when summer hits I will be ranged reduced running the air conditioning. I stopped for dinner on the way home and that cost me 4/100ths gallon of gas according to the trip computer. :happy feet:

Yes, you are definitely right about losing some range when running the AC. It makes a big difference. It has been close to 80 degrees here and I am not going to suffer in a pretty car for a few additional mpg's.

Unrelated to the above, I noticed I had 25 miles available for EV this morning. Is anyone else seeing that?

When Mr Electric finished the install of my charger he mentioned I had 125 volts (I think he said volts) on two poles, or 250 volts available for charging. He did not know why that was but said it was unusual for our area and that it might be due to my having solar power. Does that make sense? Could that be why I had 25 EV miles showing?

BTW, I noticed that when driving in EV Now there is a notification displayed on the left screen that says "press OK to activate engine", or similar words. This is very useful when you are in EV Now and come to a hill or come to a stop where there is a significant grade on the other side that you have to negotiate. It takes a lot of battery power to climb a hill so activating the engine to assist is helpful. The engine goes off after you let up on the throttle and then the message reappears.

• 3 weeks later...
By the learning your route, I assume you're talking about the EV+?  Yesterday was the first time I saw EV+ pop up when I was in EV auto mode and running solely on EV.  I believe EV+ is designed to learn your route and save some electric power til you get close to your destination then attempt to solely use it all then.  What's interesting is that I noticed before EV+ came up that I was using less EV driving than usual, then as I got closer to home I ran EV longer than usual.  So I assume it's storing some extra up to use as you get closer. However, I don't really know if this was any different than just running as much EV as possible the whole way rather than storing for a while, then using.  I will say that I seemed to have less EV driving overall with the EV+ than usual.  I might consider turning it off.  I like how the EV Auto works, but I'm not sold on EV+ yet.

I saw EV+ pop up on my third day of ownership. I had heard it takes like six weeks, but I see it each time I get close to home.