Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Soon to be Fusion Energi owner

TechOps

Hi,

I live in San Francisco and have a 2004 Audi S4. In looking for a new vehicle, I wanted something larger to hold my kitesurfing gear and be able to lug things around. I started looking at the Escape Hybrid, which one of my neighbors has, but found out that the new Escape doesn't come in a hybrid version as of 2013. Then I was looking at the cool electric and plug-ins that Ford is developing, did some research, and really liked the innovation happening there. I was initially interested in the C-max, but once the hybrid came out and I had a chance to test-drive that versus the new Fusion hybrid, it was no match. I have a European car, and so I'm spoiled when it comes to handling, refinement and solid build. The new Fusion has these in spades because of its European heritage. And I'm thrilled by the idea of buying USA design and made (well sort of) car.

When the prices were announced for the Fusion energi, I was a bit surprised about the spread from C-max to Fusion energi, given that the C-max hybrid to Fusion hybrid price differences aren't that big. However, given the California rebate, and the fact that we can use the carpool lanes here with a plugin, and that I can charge for free in my city-owned parking lot at work (at least for now), the price difference isn't quite as sharp. I think I'll just spring for it to be an early adopter.

Right now, I'm waiting for availabililty and surprised that Ford is taking so long to announce anything and update their web site. Maybe they are trying to ramp up production, but i've been waiting for months now.

Back to my starting comments, I'm hoping that eventually, if this type of vehicle catches on (lower the price! for plug-in!), we'll see larger vehicles and I can buy a 2015 or '16 Escape Energi. Right now I'm compromising on size, in order to help finance the adoption of this tech.. which I'm pretty much OK with.

That's my intro!

Welcome, I just bought a 2013 Fusion Hybrid but still like to read the stuff over here.  You first noted that you wanted something to hold your 'stuff', but have you double-checked to make sure that the Fusion Energi will have ample room with the limited space due to the HV battery?  Definitely not trying to stop a sale, but wow that would be quite a disappointment to shell out all that money and then find out that it doesn't really meet your needs.

Tech - my first thought was the same as Jeff's.  The news just came out yesterday that the trunk on the Energi is 8.2 cu ft.  That compares to the 16.0 on a regular Fusion and 12.0 on the Fusion Hybrid.  Rumor has it that the pass-thru rear seat still exists on the Energi, but there have been no confirmations on that yet.  You may want to make sure there is enough room between the trunk and the back seat for all of your gear.

There will probably be a Fusion Energi at the Detroit Auto Show - I'll try to snap some photos of the trunk / rear seat area.

Thanks, Robert! There was a Fusion Energi at the San Francisco Auto Show over Thanksgivng weekend, but the trunk was locked and I couldn't get anyone to open it for inspection. Hope your luck is better.

Also, very curious if the rear seats fold down, and if there's a pass-through.

• 1 month later...