Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Federal Tax Credit

fordfusionenergise

Hi All, 

I could be a potential FFE owner. I know that Federal govt. offers tax credit for FFE (~$4k). I was looking to buy a FFH before, but after looking at the tax incentive, I am tempted to buy FFE. 

Is this tax credit already included in the price of the FFE or do we need to claim it when filing taxes ? 

If the tax credit is to be claimed later, then I would go for FFE as the both models would cost almost same after tax credit. :happy feet: 

Thanks.   

I believe the build & price tool on the Ford website will list it as a $4007 incentive on the net price. But, you will not actually get it at the dealer which is very confusing. You will have to claim it on your 2016 tax return. I had zero issues claiming the tax credit on my 2015 taxes. I used TurboTax it handled all the forms for me. I just had to enter in the VIN and battery size (7.6 kwh).

The FFE is probably the way to go. Depending on what options you want the 2017 FFE can actually be had for less money than a similarly equipped hybrid and even standard variety model. When I got my 2015 FFE it was about $1500 more than a similarly equipped standard variety model. 

Just to make sure, the $4000 tax credit is claimed when you file taxes when PURCHASING the car.  You're the BUYER, you get the credit.

If LEASING, then the $4000 is included as a credit towards the vehicle cost when calculating the lease payments.  Ford gets the credit as the lessor, passes it along to buyer in lease deal.  This makes the leases really appealing.

OTOH, when buying thru Ford Credit you get 0% loans (at current time), also appealing.

I believe the build & price tool on the Ford website will list it as a $4007 incentive on the net price. But, you will not actually get it at the dealer which is very confusing. You will have to claim it on your 2016 tax return. I had zero issues claiming the tax credit on my 2015 taxes. I used TurboTax it handled all the forms for me. I just had to enter in the VIN and battery size (7.6 kwh).

The FFE is probably the way to go. Depending on what options you want the 2017 FFE can actually be had for less money than a similarly equipped hybrid and even standard variety model. When I got my 2015 FFE it was about $1500 more than a similarly equipped standard variety model. 

I was initially going to buy FFH but after learning about Tax credit, FFE's final price is lower than FFH luxury model. Now FFE is a go-go for me.    :spend: Considering the main use of car (commute to work) I am okay with the smaller trunk size of FFE. 

I believe it was Reagan who said, "If you subsidize something, you get more of it; if you tax something, you get less of it."

Both factored in my decision to buy a FFE. With the $4,007 Federal Tax credit and a $1,000 rebate from the State of PA, the FFE costs less than a FFH in the same trim level (which doesn't qualify for either). Check Number One.

PA has the highest gas tax in the nation (even higher than CA) at about 70 cents per gallon. I live 15 miles from NJ where gas is 30 cents per gallon cheaper, and take frequent trips to Delaware and Virginia where gas is also about 30 cents per gallon cheaper. I have yet to fill up in PA, and don't expect to until, well, forever. Check Number Two.

My driving consists of a short weekday commute (9 miles R/T), plus routine errands typically of 5 miles R/T or less, plus weekend trips to visit family (in those cheaper gas states) of 200-400 miles R/T - mostly on Interstates.

The FFE is the perfect compromise for me - EV during the week and Hybrid for long trips. Even with gas in NJ, Delaware and VA around $2 a gallon, running on electricity for my commute still provides a modest cost saving. And keeps gas in the tank until I return to a lower gas tax state.

Edited by Doc Rock