Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Fusion Energi Production Schedule

Fusion Energi Guide

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a commercial for the 2013 Fusion on TV last night in which they mentioned the car comes as a hybrid plug-in that can get up to an estimated 100 mpge. That is the first commercial I have seen on it.

As I recall, the C-Max hybrid and energi showed up on the Ford web site very shortly after I saw the first TV commercial for them, so maybe we will see the Fusion Energi pop up on Ford's site one day soon.

After I ordered my car, in early November, my salesman said they would "pull the parts for the car on 12/15". Since the 15th was a Saturday and I felt pretty sure they would not pull parts for a car on the weekend, I called him on Tuesday, the 18th, to see if they had issued a VIN for the car, since I assumed they would need a way to know what car they were assigning parts to. No VIN had been issued yet, he said, and one would probably not be assigned until after the New Year now, since the plant will shut down for a two week holiday. Bummer.

I'll keep posting how close we come to what I was told about when my car will be produced and delivered, as opposed to when I actually see the car.

Edited by pluggedin

For-what-its-worth: My salesman from our local dealer attended an inhouse Fusion training seminar this week. He told me that the trainer said the Fusion Energi will not be delivered until late March early April. No one has said this, but perhaps Ford is trying to find another spot for the extra batteries? If Ford does to the Fusion trunk what they did to the C Max trunk, there won't be enough room for a small suit case.

That is correct. The Hybrid and Energi models do not have a spare tire. Just a "tire mobility kit"

A lot of manufacturers are going with the mobility kit for two reasons: 1. Weight savings is critical. 2. Tires construction is better than ever before.

The problem though, if you do have a failure with the mobility kit while traveling at night or on a weekend. :rant:

No one has said this, but perhaps Ford is trying to find another spot for the extra batteries?

That doesn't make any sense. If the car is mere weeks away from the start of manufacturing, they are not now working on re-engineering the battery placement. The engineering of the 2013 model must be fixed in stone at this point.

The local dealer was willing to take deposit money from me yesterday. Weren't a lot of options as it both models come with a lot. With navigation and sunroof, at Ti was right at $43k.

Weird omission from the options was wheel choice. Only the 17" option. He didn't even show the hybrid wheel choices for it. He blamed limited runs of the Energi so fewer choices make it easier.

Weird omission from the options was wheel choice. Only the 17" option. He didn't even show the hybrid wheel choices for it. He blamed limited runs of the Energi so fewer choices make it easier.

If the Fusion Energi wheels are unique, this would explain the lack of options.

On the Fusion Hybrid Forum, most of the people with low MPG have larger than 17" wheels. I have no idea about wheel or tire size and how it effects mileage, but a article I read online mentioned that if you change the wheel and tire size on a car and don't make changes to the transmission and ratio, mileage will suffer.

I would hope that Ford is smart enough to make those changes when a customer orders a larger wheel size, since they are still offering the option on other Fusion models.

Unique, or not, I am glad my car will come with 17" wheels...just in case.

Edited by pluggedin

A lot of manufacturers are going with the mobility kit for two reasons: 1. Weight savings is critical. 2. Tires construction is better than ever before.

The problem though, if you do have a failure with the mobility kit while traveling at night or on a weekend. :rant:

And most new cars have tire pressure warning so most of the time you get a little warning.

ChuckJ

... perhaps Ford is trying to find another spot for the extra batteries? If Ford does to the Fusion trunk what they did to the C Max trunk, there won't be enough room for a small suit case.
Connecting the dots... Pluggedin has posted this document that shows where the Energi battery is:

Edited by rprobst

As it stands now, here are the 2013 Ford Fusion Energi production targets. Please note that these dates are subject to change:

• 12 December 12: Fusion Energi scheduling begins.

• 07 January 13: Fusion Energi production (JOB1) begins.

I assume the below site is a fleet site that gets the latest info from Ford (and other manufacturers) about production and posts it here.  I think this page at one time said Energi scheduling was to start on Dec 19th and production to start Jan 7th.  However now it says that scheduling to start Dec 19th and production (line 6 also says scheduling but footnote 6 is related to the production column) to start on Jan 21st.

The top of the linked page below says it was last updated on Dec 17th.

http://www.donlen.com/buildstart-ford.aspx

We have two posts that speak to when the Fusion Energi will go into production. Staff posted a tenative date of 1/7/13 (today) and a post to a link to Donlen.com that indicates the production start up will be 1/21/13. It would be lovely if Staff would be kind enough to give us the actual, or even another tenative, "productin begins" date.

Thank you Staff, for giving us the original heads up.

Sounds like the Schedule is for the:

Fusion Energi scheduling begins- 12/19/12  and

Fusion Energi production begins- 01/21/13.

See http://donlen.com/contentwide.aspx?id=4294967376&terms=fusion+energi. Note that it says "6 - Fusion Energi scheduling begins- 01/21/13", I think it should say "6 - Fusion Energi production begins- 01/21/13". This is supported by the Canadian Build dates: http://donlen.com/contentwide.aspx?id=4294967405&terms=fusion+energi  

The local dealer was willing to take deposit money from me yesterday. Weren't a lot of options as it both models come with a lot. With navigation and sunroof, at Ti was right at $43k.

Bummer-- I wanted the 19" H rims shown in the brochure-- so I'll have to go aftermarket.   And it looks like my mileage will suck with 19's unless I can happen upon some sort of software update.    

Hi - I've read this thread but still don't have any clear idea when Energis might actually be on a lot. Part of it is my lack of knowledge about Ford processes.

Pre-ordering won't work for me.

Assuming production starts on 1/21, what are people's best guesses as to when (EV-authorized) dealers might actually have them for sale?

Thanks

Hi - I've read this thread but still don't have any clear idea when Energis might actually be on a lot. Part of it is my lack of knowledge about Ford processes.

Pre-ordering won't work for me.

Assuming production starts on 1/21, what are people's best guesses as to when (EV-authorized) dealers might actually have them for sale?

Thanks

In post #4, relgel said "For-what-its-worth: My salesman from our local dealer attended an inhouse Fusion training seminar this week. He told me that the trainer said the Fusion Energi will not be delivered until late March early April."