Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Anyone order a Fusion Energi?

PlugMeIn

I didn't know what life was until I got my GPS. Incredible. Never having to worry about getting lost. Started out with the TomTom also. Lost it. End of story. :hysterical:

We just returned from a trip to Sedona and Prescott, AZ and one of our friends in Sedona insisted on giving me turn-for-turn directions, yawn :finger: I just plugged in my Tom Tom and never looked back. A marvelous invention!

Oh, I actually did add the GPS to my order.

Yes, I paid MSRP. Now that being said... I always enjoy learning about new vehicles and doing much research before making a purchase. My story is a little different than probably most will be. I spent over a year of research on both of my previous vehicles. I began looking into the dodge circuit and chevy volt in 2008/2009. Once the Volt was released it was too small for me and my family. I then contacted Tesla and was planning a trip to go see the model S and put down a reservation, but reconsidered due to a few reasons, one being not having a Tesla store close by. Now more stores are beginning to pop up. Then when I heard that any visit to a non-Tesla shop (even for something as simple as tire rotation) would void the warranty, and the $600 yearly maintenance fee  http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1079637_tesla-model-s-service-contract-600-year-or-warranty-voided/page-1 I hoped I made the right decision. I have been anticipating EV tax coming to pay for roads too. Maybe I am just trying to make myself feel better about not ordering the Tesla.

I began looking into the Ford Fusion Energi early in 2012 when I first heard about it. One day in the summer I noticed a Ford dealership vehicle in the parking lot at our church. After several sundays I finally saw the guy and asked him for his card. I let him know that I may be interested in purchasing a new fusion in a few months and waited to contacted him. After praying about the whole situation I shorlty found out that he was very involved in the church and found him to be a very honest Christian man. In October we met him at work and looked at the new fusions, we informed him about our intentions of the energi. He then did research, made calls, and contacted us back as he got more info. We started working out details in October and Novenber, then ordered and now we wait. I actually think he is as excited about the Energi as we are, he got a C-max energi in, which we stopped by and looked at a week ago. Strange couldn't find it listed on Ford.com under the search dealers inventory near you. WOW that battery sure takes up about all the cargo space. We sure hope the Fusion Energi works out better. We bought a smaller stroller just incase. Now we do shop and need to have room to put our groceries. Can't pile em on the kids!  ;)

I ordered my Leviton 32amp 7.7Kw charger with 25foot cable early Dec from Home Depot. With the 10% military discount it was under 1K before tax and Amazon wouldn't price match. I know the unit is capable of more output that the current Fusion can handle, but I am hoping to future proof the garage for our next EV purchase and wanted to reach farther. Shame a DC quick charge option not availbable on the 2013 Fusion Energi. Now we needed the level 2 because we make several trips. Kids to school...shopping...Picking up kids from school....life. So a charge between trips should keep us on EV most of the time. Hopefully all the time, aside from the forced maintenance start ups, and the Oh no, gotta floor it here comes a car not lookin, stoppin, or using headlights at night.  :redcard:

Got an electrician (another church contact) to install the 240 volt pre-install kit. I think we probably ended up getting a better deal than going thru the Ford - best buy, and getting the 3.8Kw 16amp unit. The charger arrived before Christmas and will be installed within a week.  

A       

Wow FusionEnergi, thanks for pouring your heart out. Great contacts through your church, so it must be a good sized congregation.

My salesman is a Christian as well but does not attend our church. I'll have to see if we have any active electricians who do go to our church that can install my charger. I will also go with the 240 volt version because about 80% of our daily commutes are 20 miles, or less, so I will want a quick charge available between trips.

I thought I was impetuous about getting ready for this car but I have not ordered or installed anything for the car yet. Mostly because I have been waiting for information from my salesman about what will come with the car and, as you all know, they just don't have any information about the Energi yet. At this time he is telling me the 120 volt charger will come with the car and the 240 volt charger is an option...whatever that means...and things change. I'm wondering if they will give me credit for the 120 volt charger toward the purchase of the 240 volt unit, for example?

I really want to buy a charger that mounts overhead, or on the wall, and has a retractactable cord. I found one made by a company called EVSE llc but the initial price I found for the unit was higher than I want to pay at around $4,000, just for the unit. See it here: http://evsellc.com/garage-overhead-ev-charger.shtml

It may be that EVSE can price it better than that but I have'nt called them yet. I also need to make sure their plug matches up with the Energi plug and find out whether it is hard wired or not.

I'm not surprised that you paid MSRP for the car and I think that will be the typical story for at least the initial offering on the Energi. That may change as time goes by and the demand for the car dies down or a new model year is offered later in the year. That's not to say there will not be dealers who will be willing to sell these cars for less than MSRP, but I think that will be the exception rather than the rule. If folks find a dealer who will deal, please post the location here so others may take advantage of the good pricing as well.

About a month ago, my local dealer had a Ruby Red 2013 Fusion SE, gas model, hit his lot and he called to come see it, since that was the color I had ordered on my car. A few weeks later I saw that same car parked in a neighbors driveway a couple of blocks away from me so I went down and talked to him while I took pictures of the car so I could put it on my computer, as desktop background, and drool over it.

We eventually got around to pricing and he told me he used Costco Pricing to buy the car but the best he could do was about $500 under MSRP...pretty standard. But he also went with the dealer prep packages for paint, interior and tint and that added $1,394 to the car.

Everything being said, I'm thinking you are going to glad you did not buy the Tesla.

Edited by pluggedin

• 2 weeks later...
I am going to have to make up my mind soon though because once they issue a VIN it will be too late to change anything on the car.

Once you get the car, can you log your fuel fill-ups on fuelly so we can see the numbers?  Also probably wise to keep tabs on your monthly electric bills to see what the changes are there, as well.  I'm curious on both!

Once you get the car, can you log your fuel fill-ups on fuelly so we can see the numbers?  Also probably wise to keep tabs on your monthly electric bills to see what the changes are there, as well.  I'm curious on both!

Yes, on both counts jeff_h. I'll have to study up on how to gauge my electricity usage though. Having solar may make that a little more challenging, but not impossible.

When I first installed my solar I kept constant track of production and usage but now I just let it work and reap the benefits. I suspect the car will be the same.

I was just over on the C-Max Energi Forum and MPGe being reported there was about 90. There's still not much real world on the Forum yet though, in regard to mileage that is.

I ordered mine tonight with a $1000 deposit. We started at MSRP, but since there are 3 large (and this is important, unafilliated) Ford dealers within short distance, we flipped over to invoice plus. I bounced between them. It took 5 offers among them, yes each in writing... but the time and effort was worth it. I got an Energi Ti trim with moonroof and navigation for $41k, with TTL, destination, advertising, and full tank charge (Ford bills you for that first tank of Mexican gas) for a drive away of $44ish.

Now the really hard part? The (their estimate) 6 - 20 week wait. Ford starts building them 21-Jan in Hermosillo, Mexico. I just have to wait until they assign a build date & VIN. They have been taking orders a couple of weeks, so there is no telling when it might be, it's based on how many Ford makes in each batch.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got tired of waiting for my car to be built so the wife and I flew down to San Juan, PR a couple days early to look around the island and then took a seven day cruise to the West Indies and Virgin Islands...we loved the trip and a lot has happened while we were gone, it seems.

We had some new folks join the forum while I was gone, so welcome to all of you. We also now have the Energi on the Ford website and, from what I have seen, pricing did not change a penny from what KBB.com estimated the MSRP would be for the car months ago. 

I called my sales rep today and he told me the parts were pulled for my car on Friday, 1/18. He had no idea on a build date or VIN but he will update me again tomorrow he says. The original quote was for parts to be pulled on 12/15/12 and a build date of 1/15/12 (which was a Saturday). So all things being equal (sometimes) I don't expect the car to be built until around 2/15/13. But I hope I am wrong and he tells me the car will be built within the next two weeks so I can take delivery of the car by my birthday, on 2/27.

Shaggy314, you did a great job on your pricing and I think I will move to Texas for no other reason than your tax rate. The TTL and taxes on my car were estimated to be around $5,283.00. At $44ish you are $8ish under what I will pay for my Titanium, out the door. Needless to say, I will be copying your post and having a little sit down with my dealer.

Thanks to all of the rest of you who are posting what you are paying too. It helps everyone to know what the pricing is for this car around the country. I'll let everyone know when I get my build date and/or VIN.

The below page was updated recently and the typo has been corrected so that one date says "Energi Scheduling" and the other says "Energi Production", whereas they used to both say "Energi Scheduling", I figured it had to be a typo.

Anyway, it says Energi production starting on Jan 21st, now whether that is just dealer stock to be guinea pigs before retail orders are done, who knows... but wouldn't it make sense that any orders would have VINs very soon?

http://www.donlen.com/buildstart-ford.aspx

Shaggy314, you did a great job on your pricing and I think I will move to Texas for no other reason than your tax rate. The TTL and taxes on my car were estimated to be around $5,283.00. At $44ish you are $8ish under what I will pay for my Titanium, out the door. Needless to say, I will be copying your post and having a little sit down with my dealer.

The key for me was getting each quote in writing, spending the time to drive to each one (not just call), and each dealer being unaffiliated with the others. Texas' car sales tax rate is a state wide 6.25%; doc fees, title, inspection, and registration (for two years on new cars) is $300ish. Regular car registration is $60ish plus inspection of $25ish.

Truth be told, I stopped at $300 over dealer invoice, so roughly $43,500, from the #2 dealer in Central Texas. They were very motivated to beat the other dealers to which I was talking. So, yea competition! I figured I could never expect to do any better for what is a new model. I still may go back and add the adaptive cruise control for $900. I only added moonroof and navigation.

Other suggestions are to see if you have access to AAA pricing, carpro.com, KBB.com (which lists dealer invoice prices for accessories too), or what have you and have those numbers going in to negotiate.

Come to texas, buy your car and ship it home... lol. If you want my salesman's name, let me know.

Happy Start of Production Day for the Fusion Energi.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered my Fusion Energi Titanium this weekend. I live in Miami, FL and I had to call at least 6 or 7 dealers before I could find one that was willing to give me X-Price. I got pretty much all the options: Moonroof, Active Park Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control, Floor Mats, Navigation, Lane Keep assit, BLISS, Trunk Cargo Net, Ingot Silver with black leather. X-PLAN price was $42,806 and they will give the $1500 rebate for a total of $41,306. I will be trading in my 2010 Fusion Hybrid.

The best part is that I did all the shopping sitting in my home office, did not have to go to the dealer even once!

I hope to get my order number next week so that I can start tracking the progress. Can wait to get the VIN!

APM

I ordered my Fusion Energi Titanium this weekend. I live in Miami, FL and I had to call at least 6 or 7 dealers before I could find one that was willing to give me X-Price. I got pretty much all the options: Moonroof, Active Park Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control, Floor Mats, Navigation, Lane Keep assit, BLISS, Trunk Cargo Net, Ingot Silver with black leather. X-PLAN price was $42,806 and they will give the $1500 rebate for a total of $41,306. I will be trading in my 2010 Fusion Hybrid.

The best part is that I did all the shopping sitting in my home office, did not have to go to the dealer even once!

I hope to get my order number next week so that I can start tracking the progress. Can wait to get the VIN!

APM

Congrats on your order and X-Plan pricing, APM. Nice!! How far did you have to go from home to find your willing dealer and how long did they quote to delivery? Welcome to the fray.

Congrats on your order and X-Plan pricing, APM. Nice!! How far did you have to go from home to find your willing dealer and how long did they quote to delivery? Welcome to the fray.

Not that far at all... I bought it from Metro Ford in Miami which is less than 10 miles from my house. I have dealers that are a lot closer, including Maroone Ford, Gus Machado Ford and Pines Ford. I also contacted a couple more dealers about 20 miles from my house, Plantation Ford and Sawgrass Ford and one dealer around Naples (I don't remember the name). Some of the dealers I contacted (Plantation and Gus Machado) were not electric ready and could not even get the Energi. Sawgrass Ford has one on order, but were only willing to sell it at sticker. I was very upset with Sawgras because I purchased an Explorer from them in November (using X-Plan) and I also bought the 2010 Fusion from them in 2009 (not X-Plan then, just $500 below sticker). I still think that they should have been willing to sell me the Energi using X-Plan.

As far as delivery they said 8 to 12 weeks, which is standard for car ordering, I  believe, so the earliest I hope to take delivery is late March.

Regards,

APM 

Good luck with your order, apm! That looks like a great car. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but my X-Plan order may be very similar. Make sure you go to Ford.com and order a brochure to get your $750 coupon to add to that deal.

I have been reading this board for a few weeks now... I saw the information on the coupon and immediately went to the site and requested the brochure. It still has not arrived... I hope to receive it next week and I have that I get the coupon.

Regards,

APM

Happy to be part of the forum!  I have actually ordered two (sort of).  No dealer in the SoCal region had one on order exactly like I wanted, but one was close. It already had a VIN so I put an order on that one.  Then I put in a custom order exactly like what I want.  The one with the VIN was low on the priority so my guy wasn't sure which one would get built first, but whichever one is, is mine.  Black Titanium will soon (relatively) be mine!

Happy to be part of the forum!  I have actually ordered two (sort of).  No dealer in the SoCal region had one on order exactly like I wanted, but one was close. It already had a VIN so I put an order on that one.  Then I put in a custom order exactly like what I want.  The one with the VIN was low on the priority so my guy wasn't sure which one would get built first, but whichever one is, is mine.  Black Titanium will soon (relatively) be mine!

Congratulations. Did the dealer provide any estimate on when the dealer ordered one would show up?

I put my order in today, for an Energi Titanium. Oh boy, oh boy!

The sales rep did a good job of managing expectations. He said he wouldn't be surprised if it was April before it arrived. That would be at least 8 weeks. I hope he's just giving a conservative estimate to keep the customer calm.

I talked to at least 6 inventory managers in SoCal.  Some say the first ones are showing up "any day now" and others said they "won't be built for months", one told me they are "delayed indefinitely because a material vendor doesn't have the materials needed to build".  It seems like they really don't know for sure...at least from my perspective.  Hopefully others' VIN numbers and build dates are correct and the first deliveries are soon.

Of the 5 Energi VINs I had for Central Texas dealer stock, the three SE have a built date (past tense) and not yet on the 2 Ti versions (3fa6p0su8dr241760 and 3fa6p0suxdr241761). Elsewhere I've read that the Ti start getting scheduled 2/14 for builds to start a few days later.

For my order January 10th, they told me 6 to 20 weeks.

Edited by shaggy314

Ordered my energi titanium a couple of weeks ago. The $750 promo doesn't apply to my Z-plan order, but I should do OK anyway -- but there is an incentive that you should be able to find on the Build and Price page. It's $3,750 if you take possession before April 1. I think Ford is trying to compensate people who might be considering the Volt. The energi gets a $3,750 Federal tax credit, while the Volt gets the entire $7,500 credit.

I had been considering the plain hybrid, but when the tax credits and the $3,750 promo are applied, the energi was actually $1,000 less than the hybrid. One can do the comparisons on the Build and Price web site.

There are a few interesting Fusion energi videos on YouTube. One shows how the steering is automatically corrected with the Lane Keeping System. Since it scans the lane markers, you do have to be a bit careful when you approach an exit ramp with conflicting lane markers.

I have no idea when my vehicle will arrive. I am seeing Titaniums appear in dealer inventories, but I'm quite sure that means they have been ordered and are being built -- not actually on the lots.

Ordered my energi titanium a couple of weeks ago. The $750 promo doesn't apply to my Z-plan order, but I should do OK anyway -- but there is an incentive that you should be able to find on the Build and Price page. It's $3,750 if you take possession before April 1.

Congratulations on your order! Things may have changed recently but that $3,750 incentive was for Red Carpet Leases only, not purchases. If you purchase, you can take a $3,750 tax credit next year on 2013's Federal Income Taxes.