Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Anyone order a Fusion Energi?

PlugMeIn

• 5 weeks later...

Anyone order a Fusion Energi yet?

Yes, I ordered a Titanium Fusion Energi a few weeks ago. I put everything we knew was available on the car, except the GPS navigation system. I expect to take delivery of the car around the second week of February, 2013.

Since Ford does not have the car on its site yet, we had to rely on the spec sheet that was provided to the dealer by Ford, for ordering purposes, and I have been anxiously waiting for the order process to show up on Ford's site so I can see if there is anything I missed. Although, I must say, the price is high enough as it is.

Once the car is issued a VIN, nothing can be changed.

If you want to know what the MSRP will be for the car you are looking to buy/order, go to KBB.com. They nailed the MSRP of my car to the penney.

Yes, I ordered a Titanium Fusion Energi a few weeks ago. I put everything we knew was available on the car, except the GPS navigation system. I expect to take delivery of the car around the second week of February, 2013.

If you want to know what the MSRP will be for the car you are looking to buy/order, go to KBB.com. They nailed the MSRP of my car to the penney.

Very cool that the dealer was able to do this for you, even though the car is not yet up on Ford's Build&Price web site.

Can I ask, what did you pay? MSRP?

Also crazy that we are only a couple months out from Energi's hitting the pavement, and Ford doesn't have Build&Price ready yet.

Noticed you are in AZ, which dealer are you working with? I have heard that only some dealers are certified to sell the electrified vehicles.

Very cool that the dealer was able to do this for you, even though the car is not yet up on Ford's Build&Price web site.

Can I ask, what did you pay? MSRP?

I am in the Tucson area and would rather not say, here, what dealer I went through for fear of getting my salesman into some sort of hot water.

It is true that only certified dealers can sell electric vehicles and mine is not yet certified. although they are working on certification. However, my dealer is, in some way, hooked into a larger, certified, Ford dealer in north Tucson, at the Auto Mall; through whom we were able to place my order. There is nothing special about our Ford dealers in Tucson so I am guessing you should be able to do exactly what I have done through your local, certified, dealer.

I have been all over my salesman for months now in anticipation of the advent of the Fusion Energi and once the C Max Energi hit the order boards I intesified my pressure on him until he finally called me to say we could now order the car.

Let me give my salesman kudos here. Prior to him, I contacted in the neighborhood of 4 sales people at Ford and Toyota over a period of about a year and he is the only one who even remembered my name or called me back. If you are in the automotive sales business and are reading this I hope you will take a lesson from this guy. Follow up means everything to the consumer.

I say that because I know from whence I speak. I sold Class 8 trucks (Peterbilt and Kenworth) for 12 years and if a customer got me on the telephone I would be in constant contact with him/her until that customer either bought my truck, bought something else or died.

As for MSRP, my car came in at $45,150, which is about $7K more than I had anticipated the pricing to be (choke). So even with a $3,750 tax incentive the car will cost $41,400 before tt&L, but I will pay tt&L based on the full price; assuming I paid full MSRP. The base MSRP for the Titanium Fusion Energi (as I know it to be) is $40,200, so you can see I put just about everything known to man on the car.

Can I justify the cost of the car? In a word, no. But I am retired, have solar on my house (so keeping the car charged costs me nothing I am not already paying) and around 80% of my daily comutes are less than 20 miles. I also tend to keep my cars 10 years or longer (my Toyota Camry is almost 12 years old) so the car may outlive me.

I think there are three plugin models that may be available. The SE, the SE Luxury and the Titanium. But I never saw the specs for the SE. My salesman only showed me the specs on the SE Luxury and Titanium and I am guessing that was because he knew my demands already outstripped the SE.

If you are not like me and don't want all of the bells and whistles, and can live with a standard SE plugin, you will pay a lot less than I am. The Titanium comes with a huge premium and all of those bells and whistles will lessen my fuel economy and battery usage, which I am going to assume will be 40-43 mpg in the hybrid only mode. If I get 75-80 mpg's, after driving on electric and hybrid, I will not complain. More will be better.

This was a long reply but I hope it helps you.

I think there are three plugin models that may be available. The SE, the SE Luxury and the Titanium. But I never saw the specs for the SE. My salesman only showed me the specs on the SE Luxury and Titanium and I am guessing that was because he knew my demands already outstripped the SE.

I'm interested in how you came to the conclusion for 3 Energi models? Everything "leaked" out so far only lists 2 versions: SE Luxury and Titanium. I'm intrigued that there may yet be an affordable SE model forthcoming. Can you offer any more to this conjecture?

I'm interested in how you came to the conclusion for 3 Energi models? Everything "leaked" out so far only lists 2 versions: SE Luxury and Titanium. I'm intrigued that there may yet be an affordable SE model forthcoming. Can you offer any more to this conjecture?

That SE, or third model, I spoke of was pure conjecture on my part and that is the problem with guessing. As you say, "everything leaked out so far only lists 2 versions". In fact, the paperwork I have only lists the SE Luxury and Titanium as "Major Product Changes". So that strongly suggests you are correct and my "guess" is wrong. Which is too bad really, because the SE Luxury is not that far removed from the price of the Titanium.

As an example, I just went to KBB.com and spec'd their listed SE model (KBB only lists two Energi models, the SE and Titanium) with the same color and equipment that I ordered on my Titanium and the MSRP came to $44,585; which is $565 less than the MSRP of the Titanium I ordered. Again, all I left off the car was the GPS Navigation System.

According to KBB, the MSRP for a Standard SE Luxury (with absolutely no options chosen) should be right around $39,495, while the standard Titanium, on KBB, starts at $40,995 (with no options added); for a difference of $1,500. I am pretty sure both of those MSRP's include a destination charge of $795. I suggest you go to kbb.com to see what options are available for the two models and price them out for yourself.

What you will NOT get with the standard SE Luxury (rather than the standard Titanium) is: ambient lighting, HD radio (with 12 speakers, the SEL has 6), Intelligent access with push button start, rear decklid spoiler, rear view camera, remote start, reverse sensing system and the Sony premium sound system. Those items are all standard equipment on the Titanium with some of them, but not all of them, available on the SE Luxury as an option.

What may also be of interest to you is that I was told the Energi models will only come with 17" wheels. And that is what is on the order sheet. So I am waiting, as are you, for the car to show up on Ford.com so I can verify some of this information.

Sorry for misleading you on the SE, jsamp.

But I am retired, have solar on my house (so keeping the car charged costs me nothing I am not already paying) and around 80% of my daily comutes are less than 20 miles.

Interesting -- will your solar capacity be able to charge the Energi battery from the lowest point to 100%? If so, how long would that take? I thought it would take a normal household 120v outlet 12-20 hours (I don't remember) to charge the battery back to 100%, but I'm wondering how long a solar setup would take?

With the Fusion's 7.5 kWh battery, you should be able to charge from 110v in less than 6 hours (possibly even 5). That's just looking at 110v * 15 amps * 5 hours is more than 7.5 kWh. Factoring in some charging losses, under 6 hours is reasonable.

Interesting -- will your solar capacity be able to charge the Energi battery from the lowest point to 100%? If so, how long would that take? I thought it would take a normal household 120v outlet 12-20 hours (I don't remember) to charge the battery back to 100%, but I'm wondering how long a solar setup would take?

Jeff_h, see the quote from jsamp above. His estimate is about what Ford is predicting for a 120V system. The 240V charging system should take about 2-3 hours.

As for charging from a solar system vs the grid and a 120v outlet...there is no difference. The charging capacity and length of time is the same. The same is true of a 240v outlet.

If I understand my system right, while I am producing kwh's during the day my inverter changes the current from DC to AC and whatever electricity I use comes directly from my solar system unless I use more more kwh's then I make. If I use less electricity then I make during the daytime, my meter runs backward and if I use more then I make (running the air conditioner in the summer) I draw power from the grid and my meter runs forward. At night I pull power from the grid, just as you do. If I plug something into a 120V outlet it is the same current no matter whether I am getting the energy from my system, or the grid. Actually, in Arizona, the power I produce is cleaner (fewer spikes) then I get from my provider.

Last year I produced approximately 2,000 kwh's more than I used and our provider paid me about 2 1/2 cents per kwh for those extra kwh's, the cheapskates. I would much prefer to use those kwh's to charge my car battery.

I currently own a battery powered golf cart that has 8 six volt batteries in it and it takes about 7 hours to recharge those batteries from close to zero to a full charge, using a charger plugged into a 120V outlet. I recharge the cart about 3-4 times a week, on average.

As I said, though, I am no expert on solar systems so if I made some mistakes above and others would like to correct them, please feel free.

If I use less electricity then I make during the daytime, my meter runs backward and if I use more then I make (running the air conditioner in the summer) I draw power from the grid and my meter runs forward. At night I pull power from the grid, just as you do.

Oh OK, gotcha.. thought maybe you had some solar system that was independent from the outside... the dual-use is one like was used when we stayed at a hotel in Death Valley CA (they get lots of sun too) last year... they had a control center (displayed in the gift shop) which showed how many KWH was flowing and which way, we saw it during the day where the excess was flowing outward to the grid, and then went back in the evening and watched it flow back in.

Thanks for the info!

pluggedin, you must really have loaded your order! I went to KBB and spec'd a Fusion Energi Titanium with every option except the voice-activated nav (since you said that's the only option you didn't take), and it only came up to a $44,880 MSRP. What did you put on that car to get to $45,150?

rprobst, I ordered Ruby Red, Driver Assist Pkg, Adaptive Speed Control, Park Assist, Floor Mats ($75, because that was the only option available on the order form), Moon Roof. That should add up to $45,150.

Ahh, I see my mistake: I forgot about extra-cost paint. Thanks, pluggedin, I spec'd it just as you said and KBB gave me the same $45,150 number.

The reason I am so interested is that I am getting ready to order my Fusion Energi Titanium, and wanted to be sure KBB was accurate (or, at least, that I knew how to use it!).

I plan to order Ice Storm (light blue), Driver Assist Pkg, Adaptive Speed Control, Navigation System, Moon Roof, and premium floor mats. Navigation instead of Parking Assist because I am more likely to be lost than to have trouble getting into a parking space. KBB prices that combination as $44,855 MSRP ($41,326 invoice).

The other thing I was wondering, pluggedin, is whether you paid MSRP precisely, or a discounted price, or (shudder) a dealer premium? Are Ford dealers negotiating on this car yet, or are they treating it like a special?

Ahh, I see my mistake: I forgot about extra-cost paint. Thanks, pluggedin, I spec'd it just as you said and KBB gave me the same $45,150 number.

The reason I am so interested is that I am getting ready to order my Fusion Energi Titanium, and wanted to be sure KBB was accurate (or, at least, that I knew how to use it!).

I plan to order Ice Storm (light blue), Driver Assist Pkg, Adaptive Speed Control, Navigation System, Moon Roof, and premium floor mats. Navigation instead of Parking Assist because I am more likely to be lost than to have trouble getting into a parking space. KBB prices that combination as $44,855 MSRP ($41,326 invoice).

The other thing I was wondering, pluggedin, is whether you paid MSRP precisely, or a discounted price, or (shudder) a dealer premium? Are Ford dealers negotiating on this car yet, or are they treating it like a special?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, rprobst. I didn't see your post yesterday.

My dealer has a paint and protection package and a tint package that is added to MSRP and adds up to $1,394. My salesman talked to his manager and came back to tell me they had decided to add $2,000 to the MSRP of the new Fusion Energi, so the price to me was $48,544.

But, the salesman said, since mine was the first such car ordered by the dealer and the car would be visible in the community while helping the allocation numbers, they waved the $2,000 and the price started at $46544.

It took some back and forth but we negotiated on the price of the protection packages and I ended up paying about $500 under MSRP + the full price of the protection packages, for a price that is right around $46,000, plus tt&l.

These cars are brand new so the dealers will, and are, very proud of them. Each deal stands on its own but I think you will find the dealers are going to start with MSRP + a premium. The stance I took was that my car would the first Titanium Energi in the community, would be visible in the community, would be good advertisement for them and it would help increase their allocation numbers for their dealership. That seemed to make a little difference.

Good luck in your negotiations, I hope you hit a home run.

One other thing, rprobst, I have a TomTom GPS with lifetime maps and that is why I did'nt want the Navigation system from Ford. I understand the update for the Navigation system for Ford is around $300.

I went with the Parking Assist package to help my wife park this car. It's the closest thing to a force field I could get.

I understand the update for the Navigation system for Ford is around $300.

I got my 2010 FFH in 2009 and then in 2010 got a letter offering a maps update on DVD, cost was $199. I skipped it, figuring I would get the next edition of the update, but that's been a couple years and haven't seen another one. So unknown what the actual update interval is, but the cost was $199 for those who purchased the update.

I got my 2010 FFH in 2009 and then in 2010 got a letter offering a maps update on DVD, cost was $199. I skipped it, figuring I would get the next edition of the update, but that's been a couple years and haven't seen another one. So unknown what the actual update interval is, but the cost was $199 for those who purchased the update.

Ya know, I am still on the fence about this. It would be more convenient to have the navigation system come with the car, rather than have to plug in and unplug my TomTom and then have to worry about some yo-yo breaking one of my windows to steal it.

I am going to have to make up my mind soon though because once they issue a VIN it will be too late to change anything on the car.

Edited by pluggedin

I am going to have to make up my mind soon though because once the issue a VIN it will be too late to change anything on the car.

There is a thread or two about this on other Fusion forums, and I ordered it not only to have an integrated unit, but to avoid the quick smash-n-grab of some thug busting the window and taking the Garmin. I've had the side window busted twice on former vehicles, even if it's covered by insurance there's the deductible and the hassle of getting replaced, so I would rather discourage that wherever possible and don't want to worry about whether I was in too much of a hurry to stash the Garmin properly before leaving the car.

There is a thread or two about this on other Fusion forums, and I ordered it not only to have an integrated unit, but to avoid the quick smash-n-grab of some thug busting the window and taking the Garmin. I've had the side window busted twice on former vehicles, even if it's covered by insurance there's the deductible and the hassle of getting replaced, so I would rather discourage that wherever possible and don't want to worry about whether I was in too much of a hurry to stash the Garmin properly before leaving the car.

Thanks jeff_h, that sold me. I will make the call to add the GPS to the car. More money but what the hey. :wacko:

I have had the TomTom a little over a year and have never had my car broken into but it is a pain in the rear to keep messing with it or to remember to take it with me.

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered Tuxedo Black Titanium November 2012, should receive the VIN early January.

A

Welcome, FusionEnergi...and congrats on your order! A few weeks back I saw a Tuxedo Black Fusion Titanium, gas model, at our local dealer. The car was absolutely gorgeous and the sound system just blew me away. Black is beautiful but not very practical here in the desert I'm afraid.

I ordered a Ruby Red Titanium in November as well and am waiting on my VIN too. My initial, estimated, build date is 1/15 but it doesn't look as though they plan to start production until 1/17, so we will see....We should be very close in the queue.

For the benefit of others who are preparing to order this car, I was wondering if you would mind sharing your buying experience. Specifically, did you find your dealer willing to bargain or did they want MSRP or MSRP + a premium. If you look at the threads above you will note I have already shared my pricing experience in this forum.

Welcome, FusionEnergi...and congrats on your order! A few weeks back I saw a Tuxedo Black Fusion Titanium, gas model, at our local dealer. The car was absolutely gorgeous and the sound system just blew me away. Black is beautiful but not very practical here in the desert I'm afraid.

I ordered a Ruby Red Titanium in November as well and am waiting on my VIN too. My initial, estimated, build date is 1/15 but it doesn't look as though they plan to start production until 1/17, so we will see....We should be very close in the queue.

For the benefit of others who are preparing to order this car, I was wondering if you would mind sharing your buying experience. Specifically, did you find your dealer willing to bargain or did they want MSRP or MSRP + a premium. If you look at the threads above you will note I have already shared my pricing experience in this forum.

That's always a good question: Did you get yours at MSRP or MSRP+?

Yes, I paid just under MSRP. I always enjoy learning about new vehicles and doing much research before making a purchase. I spent over a year of research on both of my previous vehicles. I began looking into the dodge circuit and chevy volt in 2008/2009. Once the Volt was released it was too small for me and my family. I then contacted Tesla and was planning a trip to go see the model S and put down a reservation, but reconsidered due to a few reasons, one being not having a Tesla store close by. Now more stores are beginning to pop up. Then when I heard that any visit to a non-Tesla shop (even for something as simple as tire rotation) would void the warranty, and the $600 yearly maintenance fee  http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1079637_tesla-model-s-service-contract-600-year-or-warranty-voided/page-1 I hoped I made the right decision. I have been anticipating EV tax coming to pay for roads too. Maybe I am just trying to make myself feel better about not ordering the Tesla.

WOW that battery sure takes up about all the cargo space. We sure hope the Fusion Energi works out better. We bought a smaller stroller just incase. Now we do shop and need to have room to put our groceries. Can't pile em on the kids!  ;)

I ordered my Leviton 32amp 7.7Kw charger with 25foot cable early Dec from Home Depot. With the 10% military discount it was under $1,000 before tax and Amazon wouldn't price match. I know the unit is capable of more output that the current Fusion can handle, but I am hoping to future proof the garage for our next EV purchase and wanted to reach farther. Shame a DC quick charge option not availbable on the 2013 Fusion Energi. Now we needed the level 2 because we make several trips. Kids to school...shopping...Picking up kids from school....life. So a charge between trips should keep us on EV most of the time. Hopefully all the time, aside from the forced maintenance start ups, and the Oh no, gotta floor it here comes a car not lookin, stoppin, or using headlights at night.  :redcard:

Got an electrician to completely wire & install the setup for my 240 volt unit for $250. I think we probably ended up getting a better deal than going thru the Ford - best buy, and getting the 3.8Kw 16amp unit. The charger arrived before Christmas and will be installed within a week.     

Edited by FusionEnergi