Ford Fusion Energi Forum

JuiceBox Classic 40-Amp EVSE - Any Concerns?

BLFarnsworth

Hi all, this is my first post here...

I just got a Fusion Energi SE this month and I'm looking to install an EVSE (plug-in, not hard-wired) in my garage. I've researched a few different EVSEs and the JuiceBox Classic 40-Amp EVSE is on my final list. It's $499 at Amazon, and includes a 20-foot J1772 cable.

I completely understand that the Fusion Energi's charger is only 3.3 kW and a 16-amp EVSE would work just fine, but I'm just looking to the future as I know we'll be getting another electric vehicle in about 2 years. Now that I have the PHEV, I can definitely see getting a electric-only car! It'll be nice to have at least 40-amps to charge whatever electric car (assuming the on-board charger can utilize the 40-amp current). I'll have the appropriate wiring (plug, breakers, wire, etc.) installed by a licensed electrician here.

I'm really only concerned that the JuiceBox EVSE isn't officially "UL-approved," although I understand that most of the components are. 

I could of course go with a Leviton 40-amp EVSE -- a unit from an established name in the power industry + a 3-year warranty vs. 1-year with the JuiceBox -- but it's almost twice the cost of the JuiceBox when you get the overpriced "pre-wire and mounting kit."

BTW, I e-mailed the JuiceBox manufacturer and they said that the JuiceBox is currently in the UL approval process right now and should be approved in the next couple of months.

Should I really be worried that JuiceBox isn't technically "UL-approved" as of right now? $499 seems to be a great price for a 40-amp EVSE. 

Edited by BLFarnsworth

You generally need a permit to install an EVSE.  If they check for the UL listing in the inspection, then there will be a problem.  I know of inspections that have failed because the EVSE was lacking the label "No Ventilation Required" for an indoor installation.

Edited by larryh

Thanks - I just spoke with my county planning office and it's an over-the-counter process to get the permit - no EVSE-specific permit necessary; it's basically just installing a 240V outlet... The county planning office will, however, want to know the max current load of the equipment that will be plugged into the outlet. Technically it could be a space heater, clothes dryer, washing machine, whatever. A licensed electrician will assist with the paperwork and of course do the installation.

Other neighboring cities like Irvine, CA have a specific permit process for EVSEs, but mine doesn't.

EDIT: I just verified that my county of residence (Orange County, CA), doesn't need any EVSE model numbers for the permit - just the max load of the unit or whatever I'm plugging in.

Since I have no plans to install a Tesla supercharger (LOL) I should have no problems getting a 50-amp breaker and 240V NEMA 14-50 (or 6-50) outlet approved. 

That said, my only concern again is the lack of UL-approval (for the JuiceBox). Anyone have an opinion on that?  :)

Edited by BLFarnsworth

The mobile charger that comes with a Tesla plugs into a 14-50 outlet so if you put in a 14-50 outlet you are all set for a Tesla.

I was joking about installing a 480-volt supercharger in my home -- which would probably fry the main service panel (and would also probably cost an arm and a leg)...  :)

OK, it's settled... I ended up going the "safe" route and purchasing a Leviton 32-amp EVSE.

Main reasons:

• I figure that if I have problems they'd be resolved quickly (and not over e-mail)
  • The Leviton has a 3-year warranty vs. the 1-year warranty for the JuiceBox
  • I know Leviton will probably be around for a while so I can contact them if I *do* have a problem a few years down the road

One thing I wasn't too thrilled about was that Leviton sells the mounting bracket & "pre-wire kit" separately for about $80.00 USD -- and it's basically a stamped sheet of metal and a NEMA 6-50 receptacle.

I thought that was kind of a rip-off but I remedied that by buying it "used or for parts" on eBay for about $16.00 including shipping last night; all I really care about getting is the mounting bracket. I can always just get a NEMA 6-50 receptacle one at HomeDepot for probably $10.00 (if for whatever reason the one I get from eBay has some sort of problem)...

Thanks all!

• 7 months later...

OK, it's settled... I ended up going the "safe" route and purchasing a Leviton 32-amp EVSE.

Main reasons:

• I figure that if I have problems they'd be resolved quickly (and not over e-mail)
  • The Leviton has a 3-year warranty vs. the 1-year warranty for the JuiceBox
  • I know Leviton will probably be around for a while so I can contact them if I *do* have a problem a few years down the road

One thing I wasn't too thrilled about was that Leviton sells the mounting bracket & "pre-wire kit" separately for about $80.00 USD -- and it's basically a stamped sheet of metal and a NEMA 6-50 receptacle.

I thought that was kind of a rip-off but I remedied that by buying it "used or for parts" on eBay for about $16.00 including shipping last night; all I really care about getting is the mounting bracket. I can always just get a NEMA 6-50 receptacle one at HomeDepot for probably $10.00 (if for whatever reason the one I get from eBay has some sort of problem)...

Thanks all!

I decided to take the plunge on the JuceBox and they where very prompt in answering my questions. I liked the fact that it comes with WIFI and an interactive app for my phone. Also, it was super reasonable (No shipping or tax). I will keep you posted on if it was an ok deal or not.  How has the Leviton been working out?

I decided to take the plunge on the JuceBox and they where very prompt in answering my questions. I liked the fact that it comes with WIFI and an interactive app for my phone. Also, it was super reasonable (No shipping or tax). I will keep you posted on if it was an ok deal or not.  How has the Leviton been working out?

I'm sure the JuiceBox will work out just fine for you... I was really drawn to the fact that the JuiceBox had all those other features, but on the other hand, I've found that I'm perfectly happy just plugging in the car and just walking away from it. The Leviton only has a few indicator lights on it and it just starts blinking once the car starts charging.  

After nearly 8 months with the Leviton I've had no issues whatsoever -- so I guess that's a good thing! 

I'm looking at the JuiceBox Pro 40, so I'm definitely interested in your experience!