Ford Fusion Energi Forum

New Energi owner with some questions

saleen436

I have a 2015 with heated/cooled seats and I also notice a fan noise when the heated seats are on.  They get very warm and I have to turn them off after a few minutes and this is wearing thick jeans.

Have you spoken to your dealer about this? In cold weather, the seats are set automatically to high, but your dealer will be able to see they're within specs.

Meagan

Have you spoken to your dealer about this? In cold weather, the seats are set automatically to high, but your dealer will be able to see they're within specs.

Meagan

Meagan, any idea how long they give the seats to warm before checking the temp? I'm still pretty boggled as to how they showed between 95-105 degrees during their test. Again I had them on all ride to and from work today and felt virtually nothing. The steering wheel isn't overly impressive either but at least I can confirm the heat is working on it.

Meagan, any idea how long they give the seats to warm before checking the temp? I'm still pretty boggled as to how they showed between 95-105 degrees during their test. Again I had them on all ride to and from work today and felt virtually nothing. The steering wheel isn't overly impressive either but at least I can confirm the heat is working on it.

That's a great question, but as I don't work with the dealers and am not a technician, I don't know their standards or best practices when it comes to tests or repairs. Have you sought out a second opinion?

Meagan

yeah, I think something is wrong somewhere. My fusion doesnt take long to get hot and when on 3, its very hot. The same goes with our explorer. I dont think theres a fan under the seat unless you have cool. I dont have it on the fusion but the explorer does and the fan never comes on unless its on cool. Could be wrong tho...

1 and 2 have been well covered by others. As to 3, I usually leave my car set to auto for the climate control, with the ac turned off. set like this it will blend heat as required to keep the temp where you want it in the cabin.

I do not have the cooled seats in my 14, just heated, and usually drop the temp setting to 1 after I start to feel heat, as on 2 or 3 they're too hot for me. I believe my wife sets them at 2. Her Excursion only has single stage heated seats, and she uses them, but I find them too hot to use (I'll turn them on, and as soon as I start to feel them I turn them back off, just to take the chill out).

• 4 weeks later...

I've been wondering if that's the difference between those who say their heated seats are almost too hot, and those who say their heated seats are barely perceptible.

I have the heated and cooled seats and the heat is pathetic - Might as well not even be there, really.

Well, I have an additional data point - I bought my wife a new Ford Edge. With a light-colored interior, I didn't feel like the cooled seats were needed here in Wisconsin, so we have the heated-only seats... And they'll darn near burn ya if you leave them on high.

I have noticed a huge difference between my 2013 Fusion Hybrid and my 2015 Energi.  Both have the same black leather Titanium seats, but only the Energi has cooled seats.  As everyone mentions with the older cars, the heated seats roast almost immediately.  I would start off at 2 and quickly turn it down to 1 for a comfortable ride.  In the 2015, however, setting 1 and 2 are almost imperceptible and 3 feels like the old '1'.  i haven't sold my 2013 yet, so I went back and checked and found an obvious difference.

i wonder if it has to do with the cooling feature in the newer cars. Could the heating element be deep to the cooling pads?

Does everyone with heated seats only have hot seats?

Does anyone with heated and cooled seats have seats that warm quickly and get hot?

I have noticed a huge difference between my 2013 Fusion Hybrid and my 2015 Energi.  Both have the same black leather Titanium seats, but only the Energi has cooled seats.  As everyone mentions with the older cars, the heated seats roast almost immediately.  I would start off at 2 and quickly turn it down to 1 for a comfortable ride.  In the 2015, however, setting 1 and 2 are almost imperceptible and 3 feels like the old '1'.  i haven't sold my 2013 yet, so I went back and checked and found an obvious difference.

i wonder if it has to do with the cooling feature in the newer cars. Could the heating element be deep to the cooling pads?

Does everyone with heated seats only have hot seats?

Does anyone with heated and cooled seats have seats that warm quickly and get hot?

When you turn on the heated seats in the 2015 do you hear a fan? When you turn on the cooled seats do you hear a fan?

I think someone previously figured out that the heated/cooled seats use a different type of heating system than the seats that are heated only.

My 2014 Fusion has the heated and cooled seat option and I also hear the fan going whether they are being heated or cooled. My guess is that Ford uses a thermoelectric device to heat and cool them; the device puts out warmth when the electricity flows one way, and get cold when it flows in the opposite direction.

These devices are inherently "less warm" than resistive elements placed directly under the seat covering due to the cabin air flowing through the heat exchanger and then through the foam in the seats (they will feel "warmer" as the cabin air gets warmer due to the change in temperature difference).

My 04 Cadillac had heated and cooled seats - the ones on my Fusion are dramatically better!  All in all I'm pretty happy with them.

I'm about 2000 miles from an oil change so I'll mention it again at that time although I won't need them by then. I'm pretty disappointed since I missed my heated seats in my last car.

Like traumatic said my "3" is basically someone else's "1". There's absolutely no roasting of this guy's back side at all but I do love everything else about the car so I haven't made too much of a stink to the dealer as I could have.

• 1 month later...

#3 - THIS IS THE MOST ANNOYING THING... When the HVAC system is off, NOTHING should come through the vents.

My 2013 NEVER did this until a recent trip to the dealership, so the latest update must have done this.

I took it back and they said this is normal. 

In the winter, I use GO times to heat the car up, then don't use any heat for my trip. Now cold air comes in.

If you turn on the climate control, let it run for 5 seconds, then turn it off, it won't let air in. 

#3 - THIS IS THE MOST ANNOYING THING... When the HVAC system is off, NOTHING should come through the vents.

My 2013 NEVER did this until a recent trip to the dealership, so the latest update must have done this.

In the winter, I use GO times to heat the car up, then don't use any heat for my trip. Now cold air comes in.

If you turn on the climate control, let it run for 5 seconds, then turn it off, it won't let air in.

Interesting! I used to cars with manual climate control letting air through the vents but cars with automatic climate control shouldn't. In my old Saab I usually didn't need to turn the fan on when driving on the freeway, the air naturally flowing through the vents provided enough heat in the winter. I've found that the Fusion has very little air through the vents with the windows closed. If I vent the sunroof then more air flows through the vents.

Interesting! I used to cars with manual climate control letting air through the vents but cars with automatic climate control shouldn't. In my old Saab I usually didn't need to turn the fan on when driving on the freeway, the air naturally flowing through the vents provided enough heat in the winter. I've found that the Fusion has very little air through the vents with the windows closed. If I vent the sunroof then more air flows through the vents.

But then turn on the climate control for about 5 seconds and turn it off. All air is cut off, which to me is the definition of "Off"

So I don't understand how this can be normal when turning it on/off cuts the air off.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought this would go away during the hotter spring/summer months only to realize I have cold air blowing directly on my ankle at all times with the climate off. Other than the semi-warm "hot" setting on the seat warmers, this is my biggest pet peeve thus far. I've turned the climate on, hit the recirculate button, then turned it off and it sometimes worked. Next time I may need to keep it on a few more seconds.

Sorry to say this, but I'm glad it's not just me and it's getting others just as aggravated.

I thought this would go away during the hotter spring/summer months only to realize I have cold air blowing directly on my ankle at all times with the climate off. Other than the semi-warm "hot" setting on the seat warmers, this is my biggest pet peeve thus far. I've turned the climate on, hit the recirculate button, then turned it off and it sometimes worked. Next time I may need to keep it on a few more seconds.

Sorry to say this, but I'm glad it's not just me and it's getting others just as aggravated.

Well,

I got a new 2016 FFE and it is NOT blowing on me like the 2013 did, after the recent dealer fix. I'm SO happy.

And I LOVE the new IP controls:

fsn16_models_detailflip_sony.jpg