Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Charge level dropping throughout the day

blars

I have a 2014 FFE, and lately it seems like the charge level drops throughout the day when it sits without being plugged it.  I drive about 12 miles to work, and it sits for about 9 hours until I leave.  When I park in the morning, I'll have around 17 (estimated) miles left, and the charge level will be about exactly half on the battery image.  But when I leave, the estimated miles will be around 14, and the batter level has dropped some.  I don't remember it doing this before (where the levels would drop between getting to and leaving from work).  Is this something to be concerned about?  I always thought the mileage remaining was an estimate based on recent driving behavior and the image was the actual percentage of the HVB remaining.  I could see the mileage dropping maybe, but the actual image dropping as well?  Seems weird to me.

I haven't noticed this phenomenon. Two things a) ignore the estimated miles, it can very b) look at the % remaining and keep a little log for a week or so along with tempurature when you park and when you go to leave. As Murphy said, a drop in temperature can drop the battery capacity.

Are we talking going from 65% charged down to 40% charged, or 65% charged down to 62% charged?

Temperature has been around 60 in the mornings, 75 in the afternoon.  This morning it was at 16 miles and 50%, lunchtime, 14 miles and we'll call it 43%ish.  Checked MFM now (3:25 Central), still at 14 and 43%ish.  I just don't ever remember it dropping like that throughout the day.  I keep a pretty close eye on my trips in the morning, gauging my efficiency on the drive in on how many miles I have left when I arrive each day.  So it's noticeable when I get back in when I'm ready to leave when the numbers and the level don't match.

The SOC of the HVB cannot be estimated accurately.   Accuracy is only about 5%.  The Battery Energy Control Module is constantly readjusting its estimate.  I have seen it jump by 5% in a short period of time.   The estimate is computed based an engineering model of how the battery works.  But no model can accurately account for all the complexities of a real battery.