Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Friends and family act uninterested, almost hostile, toward my car

howardbc

Okay, after owning my 2013 FFE for over a year, I am still just puzzled by the purposeful lack of interest by some friends and family in how it works, etc. You would think that a couple of male relatives who are very interested in cars would especially want to know how this one works, etc. Instead I get, at the most, feigned indifference. One flat-out refused to even look at it. He still acts very uninterested. 

Is anyone who doesn't drive an ICE considered an unAmerican traitor to the oil and gas companies? If so, why? The few questions I get are usually negative - like "I bet it uses a lot of electricity to charge it up" or "I hear the batteries die" or "I can get great mileage using diesel" or so on. I know how to answer these questions/comments, and my skin is pretty thick, but I would love to know why some people love to "pooh, pooh" such amazing new technology. 

I have given up trying to get them to be even curious about my car, so now I don't even mention it. I have run into a lot of acquaintances who are genuinely interested, but I am just mystified by the cool, almost hostile, attitude from friends and family. 

I can't believe it is just me, because I read stories about people cutting charge cords or threatening Tesla owners. I know Henry Ford certainly ran into opposition when he introduced an alternative to the horse-and-buggy. But haven't we come a long way since then?

Apparently not.  Many people don't like change.  Some drivers of diesel trucks have modified them so at the flip of a switch they can produce huge clouds of black smoke anytime they see a Tesla.  It even has a name - "rolling coal".  It makes no sense to me. 

Be happy that you are one of the enlightened few.

I have also run into similar reactions from friends, I was quite puzzled how they wouldnt be interested in how I was obtaining 110+mpg during my work commuting. Most of my family however, their ears perked up at the sound of my 110+mpg endeavors.

I think the big thing is some car nuts (possibly ones like the couple male members of your family you mentioned) really couldn't care less about gas mileage or new hybrid techonology they are only interested in flashy fast things, kind of like a ferret, simple minded and enamored by anything shiny.

I know a lot of people who still wish we had carburetors and distributors and think fuel injection is junk.

Overall I think it is peoples lack of interest or pessimism towards change that drives a lot away from hybrid/electric technology. Most people think, more technology more to go wrong.

I am absolutely obsessed with plugin/hybrid techonology after owning my FFE. I think it is amazing and cant wait to see what the future holds for advancement in this field.

I think you can also add in a large dose of misunderstanding about the technology to explain the reactions. Think back to before you took the time to understand these technologies. There has been and continues to be resistance to changing our current system. There is a lot of money that would like things to stay status quo for as long as possible.

Fortunately things seem to be changing, $4/gal gas didn't hurt...

There are 3 of us that drive electrified vehicles in my building - one drives a Volt, I drive the Fusion Energi, and a 3rd drives a Prius.  However, most people have shown no interest in my car except a select few.  The question I get asked the most is, "Have you put gas in your car yet?"  Only took over a year to finally say Yes. :)

I don't have any open hostility toward it.  I have tried nudging certain people who are in the market for new cars toward an electrified vehicle, but they're totally uninterested.  One wants a new Fusion Titanium, but wants the 2.0L ecoboost.  Dumb thing is he lives maybe 3 miles away from the office.

I'm generalizing with this, but I think the biggest reason people aren't interested in cars with big batteries is the performance aspect.  EVERY REVIEW I read mentions how fast a car is.  How sluggish is it?  How fast does it go?  How easy is it to pass on the freeway?  Seems like everybody is in a hurry, or link 'speed' with 'fun'.  OK, sure, hopping on a thrill ride like a roller coaster can be a blast.  But, can you REALLY enjoy a Ford GT on surface streets?  How about that Porsche?  Maybe that 2 million dollar Bugatti?  And if you're on the freeway, unless you enjoy speeding tickets as much as you enjoy driving at high rates of speed, you can't really push it there unless you get off the freeway and hop back on so you can get that acceleration thrill from the on-ramp.  And there's the fact that most V8 powered anything doesn't do better than 25MPG, which makes the people who buy gas every week squawk the loudest when gas goes up 25 cents a gallon.  That's about the only time I get the stink-eye. :)

About the only argument they have that I can't win is the fact that a traditional gas vehicle is significantly less expensive to buy or lease.  MOST of the cars at the office are only a step above base.  There are at least 5 2013 - 2014 Fusions, and all of them except mine is an SE (and most of those have the 2.5L motor).  There are several Ford Focus cars and a new Fiesta too... all SE models.  I don't know if it was cost that drove that decision or an indifference toward all the gizmos that nerds like me look for.  Heh... my mom says that all she cares about in a car is if it has heat, A/C, an engine to go, and that's it.  She'd be fine with crank windows and no luxuries at all.

For now, driving gas free is a very expensive feature that is either not cared about, or out of the price range of most.

I now know what you mean.

Got my first hater today.

Funny thing is we had just been discussing the fruits of the Spirit with family.

A jeep- took his front tire and placed it on my rear tire to pin me in.

I took pictures cause it looked like he may have hit my wheelwell.

First I had to locate him and when I did I told him his vehicle may have rolled forward and hit mine. He told me he had done it on purpose. He was not impressed with the way I had parked to represent the Energi.... I wasn't violating any traffic laws and was legally parked. Then I politely ask him to move his vehicle cause I could not get out. I wasn't about to try and cause vehicle damage. I told him I didn't think it was necessary to hit my vehicle(rim only has his tire marks on it).

I had let him know I am an ordained minister after he cursed at me, plus he looked to me like he was just wanting a fight. I was trying to keep the peace, joy, love, goodness, gentleness, and TEMPERANCE .......my children were watching. I considered calling the police, but did not since it doesn't seem, once he moved, any damage was done.

I left more concerned about his soul and what his spouse must regularly endure then for the Energi.

Maybe he isn't originally from here....... since Virginia is for Lovers.

post-34-0-71937600-1408326664_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-69008600-1408326690_thumb.jpg

Edited by FusionEnergi

I for one, can't really answer your question. I am very interested in a Fusion Energi, love the looks of the car, it's got 4 doors which helps in the tight parking lots and garage, plus great gas mileage. I also hold a spot in my heart for the old muscle cars of the 50's-early 70's. I just wish my finances would allow my to drop in my local dealer and pick an Energi up.

One person who I worked with, was very interested in the Volt, but the price tag turned him off.

Russael, How does your Energi compare to the Volt and Prius? Have you been able to talk with their owners and actually compare the cars?

'Sorry, I tried to reply to your post, Fusion Energi, but obviously I am "post-"challenged! 

Were you at work or in a parking garage when he pinned you in? You were wise to not allow his unreasonable anger to escalate. I hope this is the only bad experience you have with a member of the "Mean and Stupid" club. 

I was parked in a residential neighborhood, a cul-de-sac. Using and taking care of a friends pool while he is on vacation.

When he returns I will have to show him the pictures and tell him verbatim(bleeping the curse word) what was said.

Wish I would have recorded it with my phone, especially when he turned his tire to back and my whole vehicle swayed.

Kind of felt and looked like a bully in school pushing you

Edited by FusionEnergi

I was parked in a residential neighborhood, a cul-de-sac. Using and taking care of a friends pool while he is on vacation.

When he returns I will have to show him the pictures and tell him verbatim(bleeping the curse word) what was said.

Wish I would have recorded it with my phone, especially when he turned his tire to back and my whole vehicle swayed.

Kind of felt and looked like a bully in school pushing you

Sad to see that happen.  I don't understand how certain people think it's OK to harass another person.  Friendly bantering is fine, but that's just unreasonable.  I also have a bit of a temper... had I seen that, I would've just called the fuzz over with a tow truck.  You can't do things like that without a concept of consequence.

People have sort of been trained to be aggressive to a point - especially against businesses.  Some people here on the forum have had to become aggressive toward dealerships because they weren't receiving what they were entitled to (especially when TSBs were issued and the dealership wouldn't listen).  But that situation is considerably different too.

Some people do annoying things around me, but I just deal with it.  Not only is it easier, but I exercise tolerance too.  I'm sure I drive certain people crazy too, and they exercise tolerance.

I hope that's the limit of the nastiness you'll ever see.

Russael, How does your Energi compare to the Volt and Prius? Have you been able to talk with their owners and actually compare the cars?

I chat with the Volt owner quite a bit... never met the Prius owner (it's not the plugin advanced) since he's on midnights.  The Volt guy got his car a couple weeks before I had gotten mine.  His was an impulse buy (traded in an F250) and I had ordered mine 3 1/2 months prior.  I only told a select few that I was getting a new car.  Figured it was better to not advertise and just let people come to me if they had an interest, and that's been pretty much a desert.  He loves his Volt and also has a longer commute than I do, plus he drives more.  Both of us bought cars that were suitable for our uses, so we're both exceedingly happy.  He leased his, I bought mine.  He set himself up with DTE to get a free charging station as well as time of day charging; I chose to just stay on my flat rate since the battery is pretty small. 

Okay, after owning my 2013 FFE for over a year, I am still just puzzled by the purposeful lack of interest by some friends and family in how it works, etc. You would think that a couple of male relatives who are very interested in cars would especially want to know how this one works, etc. Instead I get, at the most, feigned indifference. One flat-out refused to even look at it. He still acts very uninterested. 

Is anyone who doesn't drive an ICE considered an unAmerican traitor to the oil and gas companies? If so, why? The few questions I get are usually negative - like "I bet it uses a lot of electricity to charge it up" or "I hear the batteries die" or "I can get great mileage using diesel" or so on. I know how to answer these questions/comments, and my skin is pretty thick, but I would love to know why some people love to "pooh, pooh" such amazing new technology. 

I have given up trying to get them to be even curious about my car, so now I don't even mention it. I have run into a lot of acquaintances who are genuinely interested, but I am just mystified by the cool, almost hostile, attitude from friends and family. 

I can't believe it is just me, because I read stories about people cutting charge cords or threatening Tesla owners. I know Henry Ford certainly ran into opposition when he introduced an alternative to the horse-and-buggy. But haven't we come a long way since then?

Hi Howard BC,

I know I am new around here and want to tread lightly until I get a feel for other members.  I want to also be careful not to offend and marginalize anyone with my post(s).  

Your comment about being puzzled and lack of interest by family and friends is odd to me.  Why would you think they should be interested in your new car that is very expensive and not very many people can justify the expense of purchasing one.  I hope you understand that I am enjoying my energi as much as everyone on this board but I do not feel like I have to call others who are not interested names (not from you but others in this post).  For me, I liken it to a football fan trying to talk to me about the big game on Sunday (I don't watch ball sports) and them realizing that I have nothing to contribute or any real interest.  They simply move along.  Couldn't we energi owners also simply "move along", until we find an interested person?  At which time we can share all the benefits of owning this fine automobile.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

What an asshat!  I would have called the cops and made a police report - that is almost a form of road-rage.  If there would have been anything damaged on the FFE I would have pursued it through the insurance or Small Claims court.  People like that need to be taught that their childish behavior will cost them in the long run.  Here in CA I had a person hit my bumper while they were parking despite my telling them "stop" you are going to hit my car.  They could not care less and kept driving forward and hit my car (a Prius I had) causing damage- albeit minor.  I pushed it all the way and their insurance company paid to have my rear bumper refinished.  I had a friend walking with me and this all happened as we approached my car to leave.  He witnessed the entire thing and ended up giving a statement to the insurance company consistent with my account.  I hope the idiot's insurance company raised her rates for her absolute indifference to someone's property.  Her response to me was, "That is what bumpers are for!"  

Apparently not.  Many people don't like change.  Some drivers of diesel trucks have modified them so at the flip of a switch they can produce huge clouds of black smoke anytime they see a Tesla.  It even has a name - "rolling coal".  It makes no sense to me. 

Be happy that you are one of the enlightened few.

They are Called REDNECKS!  LOL

Yes, rtshinn. I think you're right. I try to "sell" the gas/money-saving aspect of my car but very few people also mention the negative impact of gasoline on our climate and planet. If they don't bring it up, I figure they don't "believe" in climate change and I am not about to start an argument with them. 

There are 3 of us that drive electrified vehicles in my building - one drives a Volt, I drive the Fusion Energi, and a 3rd drives a Prius.  However, most people have shown no interest in my car except a select few.  The question I get asked the most is, "Have you put gas in your car yet?"  Only took over a year to finally say Yes. :)

I don't have any open hostility toward it.  I have tried nudging certain people who are in the market for new cars toward an electrified vehicle, but they're totally uninterested.  One wants a new Fusion Titanium, but wants the 2.0L ecoboost.  Dumb thing is he lives maybe 3 miles away from the office.

I'm generalizing with this, but I think the biggest reason people aren't interested in cars with big batteries is the performance aspect.  EVERY REVIEW I read mentions how fast a car is.  How sluggish is it?  How fast does it go?  How easy is it to pass on the freeway?  Seems like everybody is in a hurry, or link 'speed' with 'fun'.  OK, sure, hopping on a thrill ride like a roller coaster can be a blast.  But, can you REALLY enjoy a Ford GT on surface streets?  How about that Porsche?  Maybe that 2 million dollar Bugatti?  And if you're on the freeway, unless you enjoy speeding tickets as much as you enjoy driving at high rates of speed, you can't really push it there unless you get off the freeway and hop back on so you can get that acceleration thrill from the on-ramp.  And there's the fact that most V8 powered anything doesn't do better than 25MPG, which makes the people who buy gas every week squawk the loudest when gas goes up 25 cents a gallon.  That's about the only time I get the stink-eye. :)

About the only argument they have that I can't win is the fact that a traditional gas vehicle is significantly less expensive to buy or lease.  MOST of the cars at the office are only a step above base.  There are at least 5 2013 - 2014 Fusions, and all of them except mine is an SE (and most of those have the 2.5L motor).  There are several Ford Focus cars and a new Fiesta too... all SE models.  I don't know if it was cost that drove that decision or an indifference toward all the gizmos that nerds like me look for.  Heh... my mom says that all she cares about in a car is if it has heat, A/C, an engine to go, and that's it.  She'd be fine with crank windows and no luxuries at all.

For now, driving gas free is a very expensive feature that is either not cared about, or out of the price range of most.

So many people are completely fixated on purchase price and can't conceive of anything else. I've tried to encourage people to look at hybrids, PHEVs and BEVs but most of them balk at the high original cost, not realizing that they could save money in the long run. Many people don't realize how much they spend on gas.

A few weeks ago I was having a discussion with my boss and a coworker about cars. My boss was commenting about how much he & his wife spend on gas each month, especially since they had been taking their separate cars up to the cabin all summer since she is a teacher and was off school and thus didn't want to come back to the city on Sunday night like he had to for work on Monday. They would spend $40 per vehicle on gas each weekend. They both drive big SUVs which get under 25 MPG. I was commenting about how we spend $35 per month on electricity for the Focus Electric and only about $30 per month on gas for the FFH. Everyone was shocked at how little we spend.

I think the issue is that most people don't really care about reducing their gasoline spend. They just consider it part of life as if it is an expense that cannot be changed or reduced.

Edited by Hybridbear

So many people are completely fixated on purchase price and can't conceive of anything else. I've tried to encourage people to look at hybrids, PHEVs and BEVs but most of them balk at the high original cost, not realizing that they could save money in the long run. Many people don't realize how much they spend on gas.

A few weeks ago I was having a discussion with my boss and a coworker about cars. My boss was commenting about how much he & his wife spend on gas each month, especially since they had been taking their separate cars up to the cabin all summer since she is a teacher and was off school and thus didn't want to come back to the city on Sunday night like he had to for work on Monday. They would spend $40 per vehicle on gas each weekend. They both drive big SUVs which get under 25 MPG. I was commenting about how we spend $35 per month on electricity for the Focus Electric and only about $30 per month on gas for the FFH. Everyone was shocked at how little we spend.

I think the issue is that most people don't really care about reducing their gasoline spend. They just consider it part of life as if it is an expense that cannot be changed or reduced.

And there it is:  Someone drives a huge vehicle and then comments on the gas they spend.  But yet, they don't want to give up the huge vehicle.  There's a guy at work who drives a Hummer H3 and he says he wouldn't give it up, but he mentions how much money he spends in gas too.  Thing is, he also emphatically HATES driving and feels incredibly unsafe on the road, so he would drive a Panzer if he could.  I told him he could get a large car which is probably safer than the Hummer with better economy (Ford Taurus), but he won't hear of it.  He says if he gets rid of it, he'll get an F150.  Yet another big vehicle.

I DO have a big vehicle too, but it sits in the garage collecting dust unless I go on a trip.  It also comes out if I need to bring something big home, and that's very rare.

One of my neighbors traded in a 2001 Tahoe to get... a 2007 Tahoe.  No need for it, but it's something he wanted.  But then he only lets the fuel level drop by 1/4 tank of gas before refilling it to 'keep the cost down'.  Spending 30 - 40 in gas is OK, I guess.  Spending 80 - 100 all at once hurts.  Doesn't matter when you spend it, the amount you spend is the same.  He's a Chevy guy, so I suggested leasing a Volt or buying a used one.  Nope!  Another neighbor (friends with aforementioned neighbor) drives an old S10 and is thinking about a new vehicle.  I suggested the Volt.  Nope!  But they both smile and say, "That's unbelievable" when I tell them I went over 14 months and 5300 miles before refueling.  They're big in to classic cars (the Tahoe owner built a hotrod... a 1933, I believe.  Dropped in a Corvette LS1 motor in that thing) and they seem to shy away from the new technology.  Maybe one day they will come around.  I can't blame their age since there are retirees here too. 

I even suggested the Fusion Hybrid, Fusion Energi, and the CMAX variants to a co-worker of mine who said he was very interested in them, as he was in the market for a new car.  He bought a 2014 Fusion SE with no options.  He went cheap.  I asked why, and it was about the money and keeping his payment very low.  He makes a lot more than I do too.

So I come here to be among people who all enjoy what we've got.  :)

One of my neighbors traded in a 2001 Tahoe to get... a 2007 Tahoe.  No need for it, but it's something he wanted.  But then he only lets the fuel level drop by 1/4 tank of gas before refilling it to 'keep the cost down'.  Spending 30 - 40 in gas is OK, I guess.  Spending 80 - 100 all at once hurts.

You should tell him how much weight in gas he's hauling around for no reason...

You should tell him how much weight in gas he's hauling around for no reason...

I have another friend of the family who won't let her car drop below 3/4 tank.  She says she gets apprehensive when that happens and likens it to driving on E, so she goes and tops off.  Even the work car for her job (shared between employees) is treated similarly.  Lord have mercy on the last person who drove it and let it drop below 3/4 tank... she gets mad at them and then goes and fills it.  It bugs me when she pushes her own insecurities on to others for her own convenience.

Why?  It's this kind of attitude that turns some people off of electric/hybrid vehicles (and their drivers)

Maybe. I'm saying to be rude about it, just that the car has a likely range well over 300 miles and to fill up after 100 or so. You say the time the are using to do that isn't productive for them, but as far as phobias go it isn't so bad. I could mention I've gone as much as 4400 miles on one tank, but that's cheating since I am usually able to charge every 20 miles.

Who knows it could be an emergency response vehicle and needs to be able to go 200 miles on short notice without filling up... maybe?