Ford Fusion Energi Forum

"Stop Safely Now" 2

Dabu

I originally reported getting this warning x 2, coming down a hill.  I thought maybe the battery was overheating by overcharging in Slope Assist Mode.  However, today, after driving normally and after the car was turned off and parked, I received a remote message saying that there is a warning light on.  I went back to the car, and it was the same "stop safely now" warning, and the car could not start properly.  As before, after ~ 5 minutes, I was again able to start the car normally.  The last time I brought it in to the dealer, they were not able to find anything wrong.  I am not sure what I should do, as this is a bit unnerving since the car shuts down when this warning light comes on and can be dangerous if driving on the highway as I would not be able to get the car to side of the road.  I keep reading about some kind of a code the car generates when things go wrong, but I am uncertain how to obtain it to know exactly what is wrong.  As many on this forum have stated, it seems that the code should be obtained when it happens.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

To see OBD II DTCs, you need a scanner.  For all other DTCs, you can use ET (Engineering Test) mode by holding down the left OK button on the steering wheel while starting the car.  You can use the up/down arrows to scroll to the screen that shows DTCs.  However, I am not aware of any source that provides their meanings. 

Edited by larryh

Stored trouble codes can be displayed in Engineering Test mode.

With the car turned off press and hold the left OK button.

Start the car.

Watch the upper left area of the left display for the letters ET to appear in yellow/orange.

When you see the ET release the OK button.

You can then use the up and down buttons to scroll through several screeens of data.

One of those screens displays DTCs.

Exit ET mode by holding the OK button until the mode turns off or turn the car off.