Ford Fusion Energi Forum

C-Max or Fusion Energi ?

rfruth

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We've been waiting 10 years for a decent replacement for our Honda Civic Hybrid. The Fusion Energi looks like the one. Larger, USA and union made, great mileage, plug-in, and great looks.

It feels good to see Ford's quality jump and people not just taking a look at Ford again, but having confidence in them and driving them.

Agree..for my next new vehicle if I take the plunge.I want it to plug in, have a decent size backseat as my son is BIG, (cross out the Leaf and Volt) and I want it to not "look" like a hybrid (Prius reference in "other guys")....

Have you also considered the C-Max Energi?

For quite sometime i have been on the Chevy Volt forum getting advice and learning the good and the bad about Volt form owners nationwide. I also did my research on the car. As you can see the Volt was for me. We have two 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrids and we are very satisfied with them. Very good gas milage and fill up approxamatly every 3 to 4 weeks. Dispite how much i liked our Fusion Hybrids i wanted more, as in milage and speed so i deciced to trade in my hybrid for a Volt. To make a long story short, I went on a weekend to order my Volt with my downpayment and boy was i excited. Going to get me a Volt. Well things didn't go as smooth as i thought it would. I went to order a car not to try to puchase one that day. You all know how salesmen are, he ordered the car the way i wanted but did not actually send the order in because he would try to sell me one off the lot that someone did not purchase. It was more that my budget could afford, but i like a fool fell into his trap and now i am trying to purchase the car. This was on Veterans Day credit union was close. I had none of my research papers in front of me about my Ford Fusion Hybrid trade in or any other papers that i needed. But again i kept getting deeper and deeper into the sale. After all was said and done the salesman said Do you want to put down the money you brought to order your car for this car. This money will be to held it until he would get all the figures from the Credit Union and draw up the sales papers and i said OK. I left the car lot not feeling at all good, and on the way home just thinking about the decision i made. How stupid of me. When i got home and looked over my papers i found out that i was not at all getting a good trade in on my Fusion as a matter of fact he was just picking up the balance. Was i upset ! I emailed, text and left a message on his voice mail saying forget the salespapers for the time being and tear up the check i need to retreat and start all over again at a later time to get myself and my information together. I was back to square one, and still wanted the car. A couple of days later, guess what? I saw the new 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid and Plug up Energi on the news. What else can i say. I am on the Ford Fusion Hybrid - Plugup Energi Forum. Hello everybody!

• 2 weeks later...

For quite sometime i have been on the Chevy Volt forum getting advice and learning the good and the bad about Volt form owners nationwide. I also did my research on the car. As you can see the Volt was for me. We have two 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrids and we are very satisfied with them. Very good gas milage and fill up approxamatly every 3 to 4 weeks. Dispite how much i liked our Fusion Hybrids i wanted more, as in milage and speed so i deciced to trade in my hybrid for a Volt. To make a long story short, I went on a weekend to order my Volt with my downpayment and boy was i excited. Going to get me a Volt. Well things didn't go as smooth as i thought it would. I went to order a car not to try to puchase one that day. You all know how salesmen are, he ordered the car the way i wanted but did not actually send the order in because he would try to sell me one off the lot that someone did not purchase. It was more that my budget could afford, but i like a fool fell into his trap and now i am trying to purchase the car. This was on Veterans Day credit union was close. I had none of my research papers in front of me about my Ford Fusion Hybrid trade in or any other papers that i needed. But again i kept getting deeper and deeper into the sale. After all was said and done the salesman said Do you want to put down the money you brought to order your car for this car. This money will be to held it until he would get all the figures from the Credit Union and draw up the sales papers and i said OK. I left the car lot not feeling at all good, and on the way home just thinking about the decision i made. How stupid of me. When i got home and looked over my papers i found out that i was not at all getting a good trade in on my Fusion as a matter of fact he was just picking up the balance. Was i upset ! I emailed, text and left a message on his voice mail saying forget the salespapers for the time being and tear up the check i need to retreat and start all over again at a later time to get myself and my information together. I was back to square one, and still wanted the car. A couple of days later, guess what? I saw the new 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid and Plug up Energi on the news. What else can i say. I am on the Ford Fusion Hybrid - Plugup Energi Forum. Hello everybody!

Thanks for the story... good for you!!!

• 5 months later...

We've been waiting 10 years for a decent replacement for our Honda Civic Hybrid. The Fusion Energi looks like the one. Larger, USA and union made, great mileage, plug-in, and great looks.

Sorry for the delayed response. Unfortunately, the Energi and Hybrid models will not be made in USA unless Ford changes things. Those 2 models will be assembled in Mexico. There will be some production of the std Fusion in Michigan, but that is extra capacity to handle overflow orders that Ford is expecting and can't cover in Mexico.

Sorry for the delayed response. Unfortunately, the Energi and Hybrid models will not be made in USA unless Ford changes things. Those 2 models will be assembled in Mexico. There will be some production of the std Fusion in Michigan, but that is extra capacity to handle overflow orders that Ford is expecting and can't cover in Mexico.

At least the money flows back into Ford, which is American owned and they are trying to add more capacity back into U.S. plants. Gotta give them props for that.

• 1 month later...

C-Max or Fusion Energi, that is the question (for me)

Here's what will make the decision for most people: MSRP

C-Max Energi = $33,745

Fusion Energi = $39,495 ($5750 more)

I find the Fusion price puzzling since the std hybrid version of both cars are priced much closer:

C-Max Hybrid = $25,995

Fusion Hybrid = $27,995 ($2000 more)

Edited by jsamp

• 3 weeks later...

After driving a problematic Focus for the last 4 years for the gas mileage, I look at the C-max vs. Fusion hybrids. They both get the 47 mpg? Then it's time for me to get my more "macho" commuter car B) ... it's gotta be the Fusion. I mean, just look at them next to each other!

Now, as for justifying the $9k or whatever for a plug-in... that's a tougher sell. Yes, I want it, but my commute is 50 mi round trip, so I guess having electric-only for 10-15 miles of it would take a looong time to repay.

Edited by tjbron

• 5 weeks later...

I have seen the C-max energi and the cargo space is very limited. Vehicle size is important to consider. The fusion is larger and gives me a safer feeling. So fusion for me!

Now if the new Taurus was an energi then I would choose it. Yes, I want to be as efficient as possible, but you cant put a price on your safety. 

A

I have seen the C-max energi and the cargo space is very limited. Vehicle size is important to consider. The fusion is larger and gives me a safer feeling. So fusion for me!

Now if the new Taurus was an energi then I would choose it. Yes, I want to be as efficient as possible, but you cant put a price on your safety. 

A

I was thinking about an Escape and Taurus Energi model. I wonder if that will ever happen?

I was thinking about an Escape and Taurus Energi model. I wonder if that will ever happen?

For years Ford was touting the Escape Plug-in that was "in development".  They had a whole fleet of them they were using for real world testing and development in conjunction with Edison Electric in Southern California.  Then they abandoned the Escape hybrid altogether and brought out the C-Max and Fusion Energi models.  I doubt they would go back and re-introduce the Escape as a plug-in.  

Taurus is just too big and heavy to be very efficient as a plug-in.

A

Robertlane- Yes, the Cmax  Energi has a limited  trunk area.  I emailed Ford to tell me the size of the Fusion Energi trunk and yesterday they told me that the Fusion Energi trunk size is 8 cubic feet ( i believe that is 1/2 the size of the Cmax trunk).  I would have spent the extra money for the Fusion Energi, but the reason i would go with the larger car is for out of town and out of EV range trips....this small trunk  eliminates this approach.  Fortunately,  it is great to have choices in the Ford lineup.  

Robertlane- Yes, the Cmax  Energi has a limited  trunk area.  I emailed Ford to tell me the size of the Fusion Energi trunk and yesterday they told me that the Fusion Energi trunk size is 8 cubic feet ( i believe that is 1/2 the size of the Cmax trunk).  I would have spent the extra money for the Fusion Energi, but the reason i would go with the larger car is for out of town and out of EV range trips....this small trunk  eliminates this approach.  Fortunately,  it is great to have choices in the Ford lineup.  

8 cubic feet is about enough room for an overnight bag! I'm shocked, if that is right. It would have been nice had they mentioned whether that allowed for a pass through or not. If you still have that email address, Relgel, would you mind asking that question?

Edited by pluggedin

Attached is the 2013 FFH trunk.  It's pretty deep. The salesman tells me that the trunk has the pass-through and the FFI's trunk is the same (including pass-through) except that the lower section comes out to the lip of the opening, leaving a trunk about the height of a carry-on bag and very deep.  It looks to me like 3 or 4 carry-on's and a couple of computer bags.

ChuckJ 

PS  Attached is a youtube video that seems to show that the shelf I talked about above doesn't come up to the lip of the trunk.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/o9DmRe6MTDY?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

post-41-0-02523500-1357698032_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChuckJ

A

If the Lincoln MKZ came in a plug-in model I think I would buy that over the Fusion Energi. No such animal in 2013 though.

Attached is the 2013 FFH trunk.  It's pretty deep. The salesman tells me that the trunk has the pass-through and the FFI's trunk is the same (including pass-through) except that the lower section comes out to the lip of the opening, leaving a trunk about the height of a carry-on bag and very deep.  It looks to me like 3 or 4 carry-on's and a couple of computer bags.

ChuckJ 

PS  Attached is a youtube video that seems to show that the shelf I talked about above doesn't come up to the lip of the trunk.

ChuckJ, I am having a hard time understanding what your sales guy told you. I assume by "FFI" you meant the Energi? But it doesn't make sense that the Energi battery comes out to the lip of the trunk opening. First, you'd want to keep the weight over the rear axle. Second, look at this link that pluggedin posted a while back:

http://www.evsafetytraining.org/resources/auto-manufacturer-resources/~/media/Files/PDFs/2013%20Fusion%20Hybrid%20%20Fusion%20Energi%20%20MKZ%20Hybrid%20ERG.pdf

On page 15 you can clearly see the Energi battery extends higher than the Hybrid battery, but does not extend farther towards the back of the car.

So that means the Energi trunk is as high as the Hybrid's but not very deep.

Sure wish we could see a picture of the Energi trunk!